Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Help in adjusting my disc brake..

Hi all,

I'm trying to work out how to fix the rear disc brake on my new (600km so far) Canyon Grail.  Nothing major but quite annoying and wouldn't mind to learn to fix it myself!                            Basically :

1- I noticed the back wheel does not spin as long as the front one when lifting the bike off the ground.

2- When braking hard downhill it makes this light (but not that light) clunk..clunk..clunk kind of noise.

3- Tonight I checked the rotor and noticed these regular "straight" kind of dark lines on the interior part of the rotor (picture shows only some of them but they're regularly repeated in every section in between the fixing bolts).

4- I also noticed that when braking with wheel off the ground, the wheel tends to move slightly inwards....

It's my first disc brakes bike and I would be grateful if someone suggested what to do.

Thanks!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

35 comments

Huckfinn | 4 years ago
2 likes

Ok. Update. Took bike to my old (not as in age) trusted local mechanic. I guess I should have done it before but, as I promised him a few months ago to buy his old Giant TCX and went instead for a new Canyon Grail I was a bit....hesitant. He was fine and helped me.

-The disc was slightly bent (replaced). As a consequence it was touching one pad more than the other and also scraping against the inside of the caliper body (!!).

-One of the pistons was not pushing properly (he cleaned it).

-The disc was also slightly touching the pads spring.

That seems to be it. Hopefully's fixed. No noise so far this morning riding downhill to work. Do you reckon I better bed-in the new disc?

Pilot Pete | 4 years ago
1 like

Oh and I’m sure the black marks on the Freeza disc rotor are just streaks of dirt from pad wear that have been blown through the fins. I don’t notice them on my Dura Ace rotors (because they are black!)

PP

Pilot Pete | 4 years ago
2 likes

Definitely a sticking piston. You need to get that sorted before doing anything else. If you take the wheel out, take the pads out and then VERY GENTLY squeeze the lever to see the pistons move you will be able to see which one is not moving as much. I must emphasise that without pads and a rotor between the pistons you have nothing to stop you pushing the piston clean out of the caliper so even a very light squeeze on the lever will cause this.

I’ve had this before and the only way to free it off was to clamp the free piston with a flat piece of bar and a clamp holding that piston in, then operating the lever to cause more pressure on the stuck piston. This got it moving, but it did pop out and I subsequently needed to bleed the brake fully again.

Once it is moving you can then clean the exposed edge of the piston with alcohol and cotton buds etc to remove anything that has built up and caused it to stick. When clean, if you haven’t blown it out of the caliper exercise it back and forwards gently by pulling on and off the lever gently. Remove the bar/ clamp from the other piston and exercise gently to see if they are now moving together.

With this done you can force the pistons fully apart and then replace the pads and wheel and align the caliper using the two mounting bolts, your white sheet of paper and your mark one eyeball and hex key.

If (and it sounds from your post above) you have a ‘tink, tink, tink’ sound as the wheel rotates with the caliper correctly aligned it sounds like you have a disc that is not true. Using your white sheet of paper as a background behind the caliper (and it’s easier with the bike upside down to see) rotate the wheel and watch for any side to side movement of the disc rotor as it spins. This will be causing your tinking sound as the buckle in the disk makes contact each revolution with one of the pads.

Look at a video online of disc rotor trying to see how to do it, I’d use the proper tool or a quality adjustable spanner, not a pair of pliers. If you open your adjustable spanner, and then close the jaws around the disk rotor (just like if you were grabbing it with your pliers) you will have two nice flat surfaces in contact with the rotor. No need to pad the jaws out. If you use pliers, depending on the type, they tend to have serrated teeth and a gap for grabbing round things and then a pair of cutters at the base of the jaws! You stand a good chance of damaging your disc using those.

So, with your spanner attached to the disc it is simply a case of bending it towards or away from you to straighten it as required. Obviously you have to apply the bending force at the right point and in the right direction. Do it gently to start with and you will get a feel for ‘that’s not enough’ as you bend it but it makes no difference. Better to do it again adding a bit more force each time until it has the desired effect. To find where to apply your ‘spanner’ spin the wheel and stop it where the rotor comes into contact with the pad, this is usually easier to do by ear to start with, then narrow it down by turning the wheel back and forth around the ‘tick’ of contact. When you have the wheel stopped at exactly the point when it is making contact and you can see which side it is bent towards, you now need to rotate the wheel to get the offending area of the disc out of the caliper. You can do this by eye, or put a finger on the tyre exactly at the point where the area on the disc rotor is bent and move the wheel around without moving your finger - you can then run an imaginary line from your finger towards the axle and where it crosses the rotor is where you need to put your spanner to adjust.

It is a bit fiddly, but pretty easy once you understand what you are trying to do. Once again I would encourage you to ensure that there is not too much fluid in the system by putting the bikenthe right way up, remove the bleed screw and push the pistons in fully before refitting your pads and wheel.

if you still get noise after doing all this and after braking, chances are you have some trapped air in the system which is heating up under braking, expanding and causing the pads to be pushed closer to the rotor. As the caliper cools down the trapped air contracts and the pads release again. Had this a few times and on some models found it a pig to remove all the tiny trapped bubbles despite following the correct bleed sequence. The elastic band around the level over night can help here.

PP

Huckfinn | 4 years ago
0 likes

@jacknorell: thanks.

I'm new to disc brakes. Do you have some image or video that explains what you suggested? (I still haven't fixed the issue, part of which I discovered is related to a partly-unresponsive piston...)

jacknorell | 4 years ago
0 likes

I've had hub axle ends start to unscrew before, double check the ends / adapters are on tight and with some Loctite. Sounded a lot like what you're describing.

Huckfinn | 4 years ago
0 likes

Fine, thanks.

just asking because didn’t want to damage the bike

Huckfinn | 4 years ago
0 likes

Ok. Got it. Question: can I go cycling with the bike as is (I had planned a good day out uphill-downhill with a friend ) or I better not. Do I damage something if I do?

hawkinspeter replied to Huckfinn | 4 years ago
0 likes

Huckfinn wrote:

Ok. Got it. Question: can I go cycling with the bike as is (I had planned a good day out uphill-downhill with a friend ) or I better not. Do I damage something if I do?

It doesn't sound dangerous to me. Your rear brake may be a bit more juddery than it should be, but it'll still stop you and you've got the front brake working fine as well.

Podc | 4 years ago
0 likes

You need a specific tool to check that the rotor is tight. Its the same tool used to remove/tighten a Shimano cassette. If you don't have one then if you have a bike shop handy its a 5 minute job for them, or a 2 minute job if you take them just the wheel. Good luck and hope you get to the bottom of it.

Huckfinn | 4 years ago
0 likes

Ok, I think tha Podc suggested something interesting. The bike is standstill, i’m On the saddle, I keep the brake pulled. I look back down and if I “rock” the bike back and forth with a bit of force, the rotor is not mouving but.,the wheel is. Not enormously fortunately but it definitely is. I tried the same with front brake and wheel and neither the rotor nor the wheel are.

What do I do now..?

Huckfinn | 4 years ago
0 likes

Thanks all again. That's what I thought. From my 20years experience with my Magura hydraulic rim brakes: one piston pushing more or less than the other. Didn't realise it could happen on a spanky new bike but...!

@Podc: I'll check it tonight. At the moment I'd want a proper mechanic to take a look. I'm totally new/baffled by these disc brakes...

IanEdward | 4 years ago
0 likes

Mine can develop a rub after lots of braking (fairly new Shimano callipers). 

I understand if there is air in the system then it can expand when the system heats up, resulting in pads pushing outwards slightly and starting to rub. Unfortunately when the system cools down again they don't seem to want to retract, it's almost as if they have re-adjusted themselves.

Seems like seals and pistons need regular cleaning/lubing in order to keep the system genuinely rub free, and if the rub develops after hard braking it might indicate a re-bleed is required (or at the very least leaving the bike overnight with the levers pulled to the bars with a rubber band or similar, this pressurises the system and leaves a pathway open between the system and the reservoir on the lever which can allow trapped air to rise out).

hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
0 likes

Ah - maybe you've got a sticky piston? That could explain why careful adjustment of the caliper doesn't help too much.

A quick search brings up this: https://bicycles.stackexchange.com/questions/20931/hydraulic-disk-brake-piston-not-fully-retracting

Check whether your brakes use DOT fluid or mineral oil - mixing them is not a good idea and be careful about pulling the brake lever when pads and rotor are removed as that could push one or other piston out too far.

If you're reasonably careful you should be able to do that without needing to bleed the hydraulics (not difficult, but involves having a suitable syringe etc).

Podc | 4 years ago
0 likes

If the disc is moving under braking force, then either its not tight on the hub, or one of the pistons in the caliper is sticking.

If you hold the brake on tight and rock the bike back and forth, is there any knocking? If there is, can you put a finger on the disc and a finger on a frame part and feel if there is any relative movement?

If there is no movement from the disc relative to the frame, then if you take the caliper off and press the pads apart with a suitable tool (I find clean tyre levers work well) and then gently squeeze the brake lever, do the pistons and pads move out smoothly and equally, or does one stick?

Don't allow them to come out too far and don't squeeze so much that the pads meet - else you won't be able to get the pistons back in without removing the pads.

Huckfinn | 4 years ago
0 likes

I agree. I re-read my previous phrase: it's not so much  that the wheel's moving inwards under braking with the bike off the ground. I expressed myself badly. With bike on the ground and not moving , when I press hard on back brake, I see the actual rotor slightly bending inward, as if pushed by the outer pad...

I checked the front one and it doesn't happen...

0 likes

Okay, sounds like your wheel is good and solid, so I'm puzzled as to what could be moving to affect the braking. Maybe the rotor has some movement in it, though that's unlikely if the lockring is anywhere near 40Nm.

Not bedding in disk brakes can lead to them being noisy and not having the full stopping potential, but it shouldn't result in a periodic clunking noise.

You mentioned about the wheel moving inwards under braking with the bike off the ground - I don't see how that can happen unless something is a bit loose.

Huckfinn | 4 years ago
0 likes

Not at all. Wheel is true. I stuck a hard plastic object to bike frame about 1mm from edge of wheel, turned wheel over and over. No contact with hard object (a clear plastic ruler).

I even thought I didn't bed in brakes properly (didn't know I had to... crying). But if that was the case, wouldn't I have a similar problem with front brake?

0 likes

Was there any movement at all in the rear wheel when you where checking it out yesterday?

For the problem to resolve and then re-appear sounds to me like something is slipping/moving.

Huckfinn | 4 years ago
0 likes

Ok. I'm quite puzzled. Cycled to work this morning, it's all basically downhill. Started well, no noise and no shudder, braking was nice and smooth. But, after a km or so, everything goes back to previous setup: clunk clunk + light shudder when braking hard.. Any suggestion?

Huckfinn | 4 years ago
2 likes

So, well, yeah. Thru-axle went out and back in. The rotor dutifully cleaned with alcohol. Back in again. Could hear a faint noise with wheel spinning and no brake pulled. Went for the white piece of paper but with a twist: cut a strip of standard white A4 paper an inch wide and let it slip on each side of the rotor, between rotor and inner pad, between rotor and outer pad. Surely enough there was a point where the paper could not slip through because a section of the rotor was just slightly touching.

Saw today on the net people recommending to very lightly bend rotor with pliers just at the point where it rubs against caliper or pad. Did it (very very carefully and pliers with some cloth around it). An hour at it trying to adjust the fraction of millimeter necessary to avoid rubbing. Eventually stopped, loosened caliper bolts, re-tightened with pulled brake.

Will see tomorrow but...I have my doubts..

Huckfinn | 4 years ago
0 likes

Ok, will check tonight!

PS: after an online search, I discovered that what I described as "clunk..clunk..clunk" is actually  a shudder of sorts (obviously associated with the clunk noise) that happens when braking hard..Do your suggestions still stand?

0 likes

Huckfinn wrote:

Ok, will check tonight!

PS: after an online search, I discovered that what I described as "clunk..clunk..clunk" is actually  a shudder of sorts (obviously associated with the clunk noise) that happens when braking hard..Do your suggestions still stand?

The noise could be just a judder, but it sounds like you have some movement of the wheel and/or rotor when braking which isn't right. Re-aligning your caliper may help with reducing judder - the pads should be parallel with the rotor when making contact.

Huckfinn | 4 years ago
0 likes

Yeah will do, thanks.

1-When you talk about adjusting the calipers you refer simply to tightening up the caliper mounting bolts, rights? No other adjustments? Like, for ex, if one brake pad is closer that the other to the rotor you fix the issue by readjusting the mounting bolts?

2-Rode at luchtime. Wheel spins as well as this morning but clunk clunk is back and when I lift the wheel and squeeze the brake lever the rotor/wheel shifts a touch inward again.

3-If the mechanic fixed it, why do you think the issue is back after only about 500km?

0 likes

Huckfinn wrote:

Yeah will do, thanks.

1-When you talk about adjusting the calipers you refer simply to tightening up the caliper mounting bolts, rights? No other adjustments? Like, for ex, if one brake pad is closer that the other to the rotor you fix the issue by readjusting the mounting bolts?

2-Rode at luchtime. Wheel spins as well as this morning but clunk clunk is back and when I lift the wheel and squeeze the brake lever the rotor/wheel shifts a touch inward again.

3-If the mechanic fixed it, why do you think the issue is back after only about 500km?

1. Yes, just the 2 mounting bolts. Ideally, the pads should self-adjust so a few pumps of the brake lever should centre the pads over the rotor. It is possible for the pistons (i.e. the bits pushing the brake pads) to get stuck so they don't retract properly. If that happens, I'd remove the brake pads (there's just one retaining bolt to undo) and use a plastic tyre lever to push the stuck piston back in a bit (plastic is advisable so that you don't damage the pistons).
  2. I reckon you've got a slightly wobbly wheel there
  3. See answer 2
Huckfinn | 4 years ago
0 likes

Ok. Tonight the thru-axle goes out. I'm slightly worried: had a Giant MTB for over 20years. Did 105k km on it and all kinds of fidgeting and adjusting etc. This being a spanking new one I feel like I need to use white gloves on it...don't know if I'm explaining myself....cheekycheeky

0 likes

Huckfinn wrote:

Ok. Tonight the thru-axle goes out. I'm slightly worried: had a Giant MTB for over 20years. Did 105k km on it and all kinds of fidgeting and adjusting etc. This being a spanking new one I feel like I need to use white gloves on it...don't know if I'm explaining myself....cheekycheeky

Once you get used to it, you'll be fine.

Removing the thru-axle and popping the rear wheel out takes less than a minute - I do it most times that I wash my bike.

Adjusting the calipers can be fiddly to get it JUST right, but if you get it wrong you just loosen the bolts and try again.

Once they're set up correctly they can be left alone for ages.

(When fitting your rear wheel, try not to ram the rotor into the frame - speaking from experience, it leaves a nasty gash on brand new carbon fibre frames)

0 likes

It shouldn't make any difference if the back wheel is on the ground or not. However, the crucial point is that there shouldn't be any movement in a back wheel (except for the obvious rotation), whereas I suspect that you do have some play in your rear wheel.

When you get a chance, remove the thru-axle, have a look at it and then re-assemble and see if the rear wheel has any play in it.

You probably won't need to bend the rotor - that's only required if something has made it go out of true or it's quite old. I've never needed to do mine.

The black lines being on each of the rotor fins sounds like something is causing that, but I can't think what.

Huckfinn | 4 years ago
0 likes

Ok guys. Thanks to all.

So I loosened the hex bolts + squeezed brake lever etc.: this seems to have allowed the back wheel to spin better than before (similar force applied, about 10 seconds spin as opposed to 35 sec. for the front wheel).

A couple of things:

-Does the back wheel have to be lifted off the ground when doing this? (I didn't). I'm asking because now I hear some light clicking noise coming from back brake when cycling downhill and not breaking.

-The "clunk..clunk" noise is less but still there.

-If necessary to do it: I'm not sure I understood how to "bend" the rotor...

-I'll check tonight also with the white paper.

-Black lines are exactly identical in every section of the rotor in between the fixing points....

Pilot Pete | 4 years ago
0 likes

Oh and the black lines on the rotor just look like muck to me, possibly it has run down when the bike was stationary.

PP

Podc | 4 years ago
1 like

Rear wheels don't spin as well as front wheels due to the extra drag from the freehub - in my experience anyway.

Pages

Latest Comments