Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Canyon carbon repair update

Thanks to Phil (and others) at Target Composites in Cheshire who fixed up my Canyon (images below.) I am hoping it and I get back into form very soon.

Just a reminder of the damage on the old thread:

https://road.cc/content/forum/265865-getting-carbon-frame-repaired-broke...

The actual repair was £290, but I also had a general service too.

They were very intrigued by the doom sayers and your plans to sell off the parts (frankly we agreed the frame is the bike and a bunch of semi used componenets aren't worth much otherwise.)

Thanks all for the suggestions though.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

kil0ran | 4 years ago
3 likes

Horses for courses. I've got the time and I enjoy tinkering with bikes so I'd have junked the frame and done something different with the parts.

srchar | 4 years ago
3 likes

I'm glad you got it sorted and it's nice to see the follow up pics.

Of course the shop is going to disagree with those of us who said sell the bike or sell the bits - they're in the frame repair business. I have personal experience of chainstay failure at speed and I hope you don't get to find out what it's like!

TheBillder replied to srchar | 4 years ago
0 likes
srchar wrote:

I'm glad you got it sorted and it's nice to see the follow up pics.

Of course the shop is going to disagree with those of us who said sell the bike or sell the bits - they're in the frame repair business. I have personal experience of chainstay failure at speed and I hope you don't get to find out what it's like!

srchar, if it's not too grim to recount, could you share your experience of chainstay failure?

My LBS recently found cracks in both chainstays of my son's Ti frame, for which I am very grateful indeed given that it was in for a crank repair but they checked anyway. We went down the frame replacement route as the Ti frame was old and I couldn't find a local repairer, and the LBS have done a terrific job moving everything to a Dolan carbon frame.

I would like to know just what my boy has been saved from by that alert mechanic.

Organon | 4 years ago
0 likes

pic2

Organon | 4 years ago
0 likes

pic1

Latest Comments