Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Wet Weather Tyres

Looking for winter tyres for my commuter bike.

It's a BMC Alpenhallenge which came with 35mm Continental Contact Speeds.

After a nasty off on a wet road last winter (which cost me 3 teeth) and a puncture in the rain this week I'm looking to replace them with something with awesome wet grip and decent puncture protection.

I had Schwalbe Marathons on my old commuter; never had a puncture with them but thought the grip was pretty poor. Are Marathon Plus or Ultra better? Any other suggestions?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

15 comments

BBB | 4 years ago
0 likes

The main reason why people hit the deck is putting too much faith in their tyres at the first place.

BBB | 4 years ago
0 likes

The main reason why people hit the deck is putting too much faith in their tyres at the first place.

Boatsie | 4 years ago
0 likes

Hope it helps. From side look similar but above has loads more volume.

I'm too dumb to explain. If they fit I think they're good

Boatsie | 4 years ago
0 likes

I don't know how clear these pictures are but the front is 38. Rear 32. Both about the same height. Yet because the 38mm is a 38mm and hence 6mn wider than a 32mm. It holds a larger volume of air.
I would be rolling 38mm on my rear if I could but I'm limited to a 32mm max and a visual to verify absence of rubbing (very tight).
We have silky smooth roads down here. That bikes used all seasons bar wet days (as best I can). Tonight I dropped into a pothole during the dark of night. It simply jarred me and kicked the bike out. No damage.. Just a wake up.

During summer our roads melt. The heat literally melts the roads during the heat waves. I've had plenty of 23mm tyres explode yet the volume of the 'winter' tyres copes with that expansion and I know we roll with melted tarmac on tread.
2 nights ago I bumped my rim. Not bothered, just rode smoothly home. The rear had 10+ psi (much less than20), the front 30-40.
I assume being both same age of tyre, tube, no punctures and likely to be near same loss of air. The front has a much higher volume.

During summer, etc. Although the 38mm reads 'max pressure 75psi' I just blow it up the same as every other. Here that being.. If 23-28.. Blown until indicator passes 100psi.
If 32-38, blown until indicator passes 80psi.

Smooth low resistance. I'd love the 38 I have on front all round. But here it doesn't fit. If you have room, consider wider and pressure adjust to suit personal preferences. Ain't like a Welsh village here. So lush and beautiful.
Yeah heaps grippier when flatter, volume size will help those adjustments to be made easier.

Shades | 4 years ago
1 like

Just spotted Conti Top Contact Winter 2 tyres; bit fat at 38mm but claim to be great on cold frosty roads.

Jimmy Ray Will | 4 years ago
0 likes

I've never come round to the idea of winter tyres. 

Generally they are 'hard wearing'  with great puncture protection. This baically means that the rubber used is hard, and therefore not very grippy. 

I train on GP4000's all year round and experience very few punctures. This includes commuting miles. 

In an ideal world, i'd say go tubeless, run something like a GP5000 and be done with it. Enjoy your riding. 

Simon E replied to Jimmy Ray Will | 4 years ago
0 likes

Jimmy Ray Will wrote:

Riding home from work down a country lane when it's 5°C and raining hard on a pitch black winter's night I'd prefer to have a thicker, tougher tyre over a supple one. I ran Durano Plus for 2 winters for this reason.

Have reverted to standard Durano this year as the stiff sidewalls of the Plus make for a less pleasant ride on rough surfaces and hoping the lighter, more supple tyre will be up to the job...

Boatsie replied to Jimmy Ray Will | 4 years ago
0 likes
Jimmy Ray Will wrote:

Generally they are 'hard wearing'  with great puncture protection. This baically means that the rubber used is hard, and therefore not very grippy. 

I train on GP4000's all year round and experience very few punctures. This includes commuting miles. 

In an ideal world, i'd say go tubeless, run something like a GP5000 and be done with it. Enjoy your riding. 

I bought a bike cheap from gumtree. ($100Aus=50 quid)
I don't know why it lasted so long but I rang the guy and said if not sold by weekend I'm definitely interested.
Anyway, had flats, rusted outer spokes which are solid and is a solid bike. He mentioned something about the tyres.. Sitting ages.
When home, pumped them, they held 100+psi a week. No cracks, perfect bead. GP4000s.
Coming down the mountain on dry road, arse end free-wheeling skidded the hairpin.

I have used hair conditioner to bead truck tyres (very tight). I'm wondering if a thin wipe of conditioner would add moisture and get better grip understanding that the film would take some kms to disappear but hoping subleness of tyres would improve grip soon after.

I don't see why the Marathons wouldn't grip. They look similar to the lifeline commuters. I recall hanging the bike about 6 months and I kept failing to remember to inflate them. I'd lent that to a friend and hadn't personally checked tyres about a year or so. I'm 100kg (+clothes) on a 11.9 kg bike. They were slow and annoyingly unstable with rim damaging just being thoughts but were down to about 20-30 psi when memory finally kicked in.
I'm fairly lazy though.. Normal here is pump to 80psi on the commuter tyres and leave them alone until feeling is soggy. They stay up a long time.
Definitely lots more grip at 30psi but a weird retarded flick sensation.

Shades | 4 years ago
1 like

I've 'gone off' Marathon Plus in the wet; came down hard a few weeks ago in the wet and I was running them down at 70-80psi (32mm on a hybrid).  Not the first time either and they never feel great in the winter when everything's cold and greasy.  Possibly breaked a bit hard on the front in a tight turn.  Going to give Marathon Supremes a go as they're much lighter and potentially better grip but with good puncture protection.  Marathon Plus contact zone just feels hard and not 'grippy'.  Conti GP 4 Seasons always feel 'solid' on a road bike.

IanGlasgow replied to Shades | 4 years ago
0 likes
Shades wrote:

I've 'gone off' Marathon Plus in the wet; came down hard a few weeks ago in the wet and I was running them down at 70-80psi (32mm on a hybrid).  Not the first time either and they never feel great in the winter when everything's cold and greasy.  Possibly breaked a bit hard on the front in a tight turn.  Going to give Marathon Supremes a go as they're much lighter and potentially better grip but with good puncture protection.  Marathon Plus contact zone just feels hard and not 'grippy'.  Conti GP 4 Seasons always feel 'solid' on a road bike.

That was my experience of Marathons; never had a puncture but they felt hard and lacked gripped. It was far too easy to lock up the back wheel on my old rim braked bike.
The Contis on the new bike feel much better but I lost faith in them after the back wheel went out from under me on a wet road last winter.
Puncture proofing is important, but I'll tolerate a few punctures (had my first with the Contis this week) in exchange for better wet grip - it's wet all winter here in Glasgow!
Sounds like Contin4 Seasons might be the way to go, but they don't come bigger than 32mm, currently running 35.

ktache | 4 years ago
2 likes

I found that the Continental Winter Contact tyres worked very well after most of the leaves had gone, on wet and especially frosted roads.  I have not tried the Winter Contact II, but they do look interesting.

Boatsie | 4 years ago
2 likes

I found these..

https://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/205166-18-best-winter-tyres-keep-ri...
A review on road.cc regarding winter tyres.

https://www.cyclestation.com.au/vittoria-randonneur-700-x-38c-road-hybri...
Another tyre with water displacement channels.

https://www.probikekit.com.au/bicycle-tyres/michelin-protek-clincher-roa...
Another water displacing tyre but only 1mm thick hence a probability of better handling in a vague way of viewing such.
I don't know if Odyssey make 700c tyres but my 24inch bmx uses a wide road Odyssey brand tyre. A light stance that grips gravel, wet roads and is as fast as the wind allows. Never punctured and tyre/tube is about 19 years old and still soft.

a4th | 4 years ago
1 like

I'm a big fan of the Pirelli Cinturato Velo road  tyres. They go up as far as 35s I think. Have found them to be very grippy and so far at least basically unpucturable. Certainly a faster option than Marathon Plus.

The Donnelly USHs seem pretty good too if you want something a bit chunkier.

Simon E | 4 years ago
3 likes

Marathon Plus is very heavy and draggy and I can't imagine it would offer better grip.

I have standard Marathon greenguard in 26x1.5", which seems better than the previous version. While I haven't pushed the hard, they seem to grip OK on the country lanes I ride to work. Otherwise perhaps consider the Marathon Supreme.

Also, depending on your starting tyre pressure, it may be worth reducing it by 10 psi or so to see if that helps. I also run less in the front tyre than the rear.

Boatsie | 4 years ago
1 like

I get grip but if weather is heavy I ride straight. Work commute 7km, basically a straight with 1 metre height difference between ends. 1 5metre overpass between.

Hopefully helpful
Lifeline Armour 35. Hard wearing.
Lifeline Armour 32. Hard wearing but feels wobbly, ..nice tyre rolling but not as firm with dry grip and stability as her 35 sister.

Maxxis Overdrive 38 and Kenda 35. Overdrive has 35 too. Both of them not only feel equal or greater in grip but hold better shape when stuffing around. Note. I don't clean bikes often. If it's going to rain the hub gear with guards comes out and that rear is Lifeline Armour commuter 35. Maybe (probably) has a higher volume than the Kenda 35 hence not as sporty but a large weight carrying ability. Also it's 5mm thick which might be a high radius fly wheel hence not as sporty again.
I've had no punctures on any of them.

Latest Comments