First time on the forums and looking for some advice on how to approach my next bike purchase.
I'm small and skinny (173cm, 55kg) and my current bike weighs in at 10kg. I've had the bike for over 8 years but the model is over 12 years old and as my riding/fitness has improved, I feel it's time for a change. My main question is…
Since I'm so small and the bike weight is such a significant % of my overall weight, should I be going for the lightest option I can afford or the most aero?
I know, "it depends", so I've included some additional info below, but I'm asking on here because my own answer changes with the weather at the minute! Key info…
- I don't race, I ride for fun or for a challenge.
- My local terrain is mostly rolling with steep hills rather than long climbs.
- I'd like to be fairly comfortable on rides of up to 200km but don't regularlly ride more than 100km.
- I don't struggle in groups when I'm going up-hill because of my low weight (even with the heavy bike), but I really have to push high W/kg numbers to keep up with stronger riders on the flat.
- I typically average around 25km/hr over distances of 50-100km.
- Budget likely to be around £3,000 - £4,500 and would like to buy new this time.
I tend towards thinking I should go as aero as possible to help make up for the power shortfall on the flat, but part of me doesn't quite believe the hype (especially for my sort of average speeds).
Any advice welcomed and appreciated!