Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Need help choosing a bike

Hi 

I currently cycle to work 8.5 miles each way on a B'Twin Rockrider 540. I ride this with WTB thickslick tyres. I'm looking to upgrade to a hybrid but don't want to lose too much comfort.

I thought a hybrid so i can have full length mudguards as my feet get soaked all the time. I'm thinking that a rigid front fork would be ok so long as i had a nice big tyre to cushion the bumps.

I have seen a Cube Hyde 2020 on Evans (see link) and think this fits the bill but does anyone think i should be diverting my hard earned cash elsewhere?

https://www.evanscycles.com/cube-hyde-2020-hybrid-bike-EV369870

Would love to hear your thoughts as i've been swithering between mountain bike, gravel bike and hybrid for weeks now and think flat bar will be better for me.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

Boatsie | 4 years ago
0 likes

I bs on abit..

https://www.bicyclesonline.com.au/2019-marin-presidio-2-shimano-nexus-ci...

Found this in Australia. I guess it'll take guards. Only guessing though.
To me pretty much a perfect work bike. A rarely adjust ratio system of?? 300%400% somewhere between. Eg. Wind suitable, slope suitable, reliability suitable.
Wouldn't be as much fun as a MTB but would stay smooth without a post storm clean.
Mine's 14+ kg.. That 1 looks racier..
Derraileurs feel better but being purposely garaged as work need makes these really suit some people.

Boatsie | 4 years ago
0 likes

I was riding about that distance. Not sure if I'm helpful. I bought used bikes.
I thought the 28mm tyres were excellent but then during winter I had many punctures in a short time although no punctures during the better weather. Hence the flat bar hybrid was relatively fast and reliable during summer, spring, early autumn.
All year round 32mm commuter tyres aren't puncturing but slight speed loss.
I haven't much experience with many tyres, Maxxis Overdrive and Kenda seem to be sportier tyres with width and wet grip that aren't puncturing.
The hub gear was a bargain bought to make into a fixie but the unusual axle width denied my change of. 60 quid.
I've read others with 32mm winter bikes, might be worth a browse. But if buying new might be worth targetting a machine that can take a fattie. I swear my Overdrive 38mm is faster and more agile than my Armour commuter 32mm but it rolls so I don't care.
Different country, I don't know your market, I like some old bikes. Effort in is the same distance or near too when compared with a modern bike and it's only a work bike.

Boatsie | 4 years ago
0 likes

I rode this in Ukraine. Duration 3-4 weeks. 1 week off because I split my hand open and didn't want the deep cut opening and bleeding everywhere.
The shockers were usually locked but really useful soft along pebble stone streets. Locked was faster and easier to hop with. Weighed 14.3 kg, had 35mm Kenda treaded tyres and was a really nice ride. 8 speed by 3 speed.
Flat bars lost to top speeds but made footpaths to roads and vice-versa easier. Riden on bumpy tracks but not a jumper like a mountain bike is.
Felt light despite the 14.3 kg hanging weight.

I use rigid forks at home. A couple of hybrids. Both heavier chromoly forks and I like them.
I converted 1 to dropbars. I find that comfortable, eg now a gravel bike. 11.9 kg but feels heavier than photo bike. Probably balance and leverage.
Other bike is same (both Avanti Blades) but the hub gear model. That won't gutter hop with me as pilot. Weighs 14.3kg too but feels heavy. Perfect when raining because sealed gears. Although ridden in horrible weather, rarely washed, chain lubed when chain sticks, eg 2 or 3 times a year probably. What it lacks in performance it makes up in reliability. Really comfortable hand grips but it blocks more wind then the drop bars.

I liked the 35mm Kenda. They never punctured and they danced well.
I like the 38mm Maxxis Overdrive on both front wheels at home, they hold shape too.
The hub uses 35mm, the derraileur uses 32mm Lifeline Armour commuter tyres rear. The hub gets ridden straight. The cassette bike being less awkward of weight bias I find the 32mm Lifeline A. C. grips but side way flexs and retards a rim flick. Maybe I'm not balancing the bike properly or... the tyres look pretty big although relatively slim..
To me they are comfortable.
I was probably really impressed by that bike pictured and the 35mm Kenda made that well. If I was able to bring home I would have but the cost to do so was near equivalent to buying a second hand similar bike at home.
Anyway. I believe they all fit mudguards and panniers.

Captain12 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Just heard back from Evans who say this bike doesn't support full stay mudguards. Thought i'd found the right bike.

franta replied to Captain12 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Captain12 wrote:

Just heard back from Evans who say this bike doesn't support full stay mudguards. Thought i'd found the right bike.

Nice bike. Cube own website says that it has muguard mounts. It would be very odd if it didn't have them.

Latest Comments