Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

upgrade advice needed

Hi all,

I recently started cycling and bought myself an second hand Orbea Inox with the original Shimano rs20 wheels.
It has the original Shimano 105 setup (12-25 cassette) but the crank set was upgraded to ultegra 52-39.

Now, I moved to Scotland where things are a bit hillier than back in France where I bought it. I find myself struggling in the long and steep hills.
More training will surely help but is there anything I should consider upgrading/modifying on the bike to make my climbs easier?
Low budget...

Thanks everyone

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

kil0ran | 4 years ago
0 likes

Seeing as you're 10-speed there's a 12-30 Ultegra 6700 cassette option which might be a good bet. Or SRAM do a something-30 cassette which may also work. 

Which generation 105 are we talking about? I'm assuming 5700? It will be etched on the underside of the rear derailleur (on the silver lower half of the link).  

Whilst a 30T cassette is probably out of spec for your derailleur it might work - even if not it's not an expensive upgrade. You could do cassette and long cage (GS) derailleur for £50 and don't need any special tools.

As to wheels you're really looking at £250 minimum for a decent upgrade. Vision Team 35 is a good starting point, if you're really using your 52 then the aero benefit will be worth it.

(Just looked for the above and this is an absolute steal of deal - £205 including tyres!) - https://www.vanillabikes.com/products/vision-team-35-comp-road-clincher-...)

It's also quite a good time to be buying secondhand wheels and that will really extend your budget.

Used Hunts go for around £200 on eBay. Or look into handbuilt new by Spa Cycles or Malcolm at CycleClinic - https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/collections/road-rim-brake-wheelsets - I'm guessing there are local builders of good quality wheels near you too. On eBay you often find good factory-fit wheelsets that have been taken off new frames and replaced with higher spec wheels. Bontrager & Giant factory wheelsets are pretty good, plentiful, and good value.

JRA & Pacenti get consistently good reviews on this site too and look good value but not exactly cheap.

yannotron | 4 years ago
0 likes

Oh, since we're here...

I might wait a little and invest in better wheels. Any advice on what would be the best step up on a budget? This might give me te chance to access a11 speed cassette too.

vonhelmet replied to yannotron | 4 years ago
1 like
yannotron wrote:

Oh, since we're here...

I might wait a little and invest in better wheels. Any advice on what would be the best step up on a budget? This might give me te chance to access a11 speed cassette too.

Moving to 11 speed is non trivial - you'd need to upgrade your shifters which are expensive parts.

yannotron replied to vonhelmet | 4 years ago
0 likes

vonhelmet wrote:
yannotron wrote:

Oh, since we're here...

Moving to 11 speed is non trivial - you'd need to upgrade your shifters which are expensive parts.

True, I overlooked this. I don't even think getting one extra gear will make such a difference. Sure it will be more comfortable and smooth but might not be worth the investment.

Any good 10 speed wheels I can look into as a future upgrade?

kil0ran replied to yannotron | 4 years ago
0 likes

yannotron wrote:

vonhelmet wrote:
yannotron wrote:

Oh, since we're here...

True, I overlooked this. I don't even think getting one extra gear will make such a difference. Sure it will be more comfortable and smooth but might not be worth the investment.

Any good 10 speed wheels I can look into as a future upgrade?

All 11-speed wheels (with Shimano Road hubs) are backwards compatible with 10 speed, you usually just need a spacer, which often comes with them.

yannotron | 4 years ago
0 likes

Thank you for all the help!

I'll therefore look into the 11-28 option first. I feel kind of bad having to change the crankset too as it's very speedy on the flat! But why not at least trying it!

Jimthebikeguy.com | 4 years ago
1 like

Look on eBay. Get a second hand compact crankset, should be very cheap, just ensure you get the right crank length, bb type, and speed (i.e 9 speed, 10 speed, whatever). Then put an 11-28 on the back.

OR_biker | 4 years ago
1 like

Depending on your rear derailleur, you may even be able to squeeze in a 30-tooth cassette, with some b-screw adjustment.

ktache | 4 years ago
1 like

The bigger cassette thing is your best bet, though be careful using big big until you can fit a slightly longer chain.

HLaB | 4 years ago
1 like

Bigger cassette is cheapest.  You'll get away with atleast 28t before you need to get a longer cage to support a bigger cog.

mike the bike replied to HLaB | 4 years ago
2 likes

HLaB wrote:

Bigger cassette is cheapest.  You'll get away with atleast 28t before you need to get a longer cage to support a bigger cog.

Absolutely.  

Your chainrings are also on the high side but probably too good to junk.  Bear in mind that when you eventually swap, you might usefully buy 50/34.

Best of luck.

Latest Comments