Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Oval ring advice

I'm definitely sold on oval 1x ring for off road use, but not sure about the road options
I use a 50/34 crank with an 11-28 or 11-32 cassette, most of my riding is hilly.
Absolute Black do a 34T 6.5% oval or a 36T 11.4%
Ideally I'd stick with 34T but I'm not convinced that 6.5% would be worth getting, but concerned 36T might be too big.
What are your thoughts good folk?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

bechdan | 4 years ago
0 likes

ive just emailed them about their rings now, thanks, bit pricey though at £45

Any other input anyone?

edit - bonus, found one on eBat for £35 thatll do nicely

Also they are 12.5% ovality 

fukawitribe replied to bechdan | 4 years ago
0 likes

bechdan wrote:

ive just emailed them about their rings now, thanks, bit pricey though at £45

Yep, none of them apart from some of the 'interesting' looking ones out of HK are particularly cheap alas - eBay, or the classifieds (*cough* bikeradar) , has always been my friend there.

fukawitribe | 4 years ago
0 likes

As far as I know, non-QXL Q-Rings are about 10% (or at least I think the old 5-bolt ones I have are) - they might be worth a look. Biggest difference I noticed, which I wasn't really expecting, was out of the saddle - felt much smoother, weirdly obvious in the first few rides. In the saddle, seemed slightly 'better' - easier going over the top of the stroke - particularly under load, at least based on how my knees felt after hilly rides compared with previously.. which was the reason I tried them. 

Latest Comments