Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Campag crank - fix / replace?

My son's Campag Veloce drive side crank has all the symptoms of the pedal axle thread starting to give way - to the extent that the pedal has sometimes unscrews entirely, still attached to the shoe. I'm trying to work out what to do.

A friend has passed on some Chorus carbon cranks (FC9-CEO-40C, both cranks and rings) of the right length (170), but these are Ultra Torque, and the Veloce on the bike now is Power Torque. Is that a problem?

Ebay has new old stock Record 170mm drive side cranks at £25,but again, Ultra Torque, and this would mean different cranks each side. Is that a problem (small weight mismatch I guess but surely immaterial given the weight of rings)?

My guess is that if that either of these fit, it will be cheaper than any helicoil-type solution and a much more straightforward job for the LBS. So how do I find out if they will work with the BB? 

The Veloce chainset is of uncertain vintage but the crank is labelled FC11 VLB040. My son isn't the first owner of the bike and the bike probably isn't the first to have had it either. I can't see any BCD marked on it but there are some marketing speak things - Power Torque is the main one.

Any wisdom from all you smart people about where to look for compatibility?

Thanks in advance!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

Miller | 4 years ago
0 likes

If the OP has been given some Chorus cranks, the first answer above is the correct one: replace the PT bearing cups with UT bearing cups, install Chorus chainset.

matthewn5 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Athena 11 speed Powertorque cranks are pretty cheap now, and would be a straight swap. You shouldn't have a problem running 10 speed chain on an 11-speed crankset.

TheBillder | 4 years ago
0 likes

Great, thanks for all that detail, much appreciated.

G1989 | 4 years ago
1 like

Chorus cranks wont fit with the PT bottom bracket that's already on the bike and you can't match UT crank arms with PT ones. Chorus is a nice upgrade so I would buy an UT bottom bracket (less than £20) and get the lbs to fit and swap the veloce cranks for the chorus.  Be sure to get then correct bb for the frame- assuming you have a standard threaded bb-  the bb will be BSA  (1.37 x 24) or Italian thread (36x 24) which is written on the bb cups. Also bear in mind if you are swapping a standard chainset i.e. 53/39  for a compact you may need to adjust chain length or fit a longer one if vice  versa 

Latest Comments