Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Heart Rate Monitoring

Hi all, would there be any of you cyclists be willing to share your age and heart rate and watts output on here. The reason I ask is I’m interested in what you people and your stats are. I do have Strava but just the free version. I’d just like to compare different ages and different levels of fitness. 

Thanks to anyone who shares this info. 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

13 comments

kil0ran | 4 years ago
1 like

And at the chronically unfit end of the spectrum, 115kg, 6 foot, FTP around 240W at the start of the year. It's what happens when someone more suited to being a front row decides to hop on a bike. Think Chris Hoy's Dad rather than the man himself.

jaysa | 4 years ago
2 likes

65kg and FTP 290W this year, max HR last year 187, Rest HR 42. Female 62.

Jimnm replied to jaysa | 4 years ago
0 likes

jaysa wrote:

65kg and FTP 290W this year, max HR last year 187, Rest HR 42. Female 62.

They are very impressive figures. You are an exception Jaysa, well done. 

Paul J | 4 years ago
1 like

If you're into comparisons, https://cyclinganalytics.com will show you your power-duration curve as a percentile bucket of all the athletes on its site (and I think CA skews a little towards more serious athletes, top percentiles must be world-tour athletes), and can do so by absolute power (i.e. W) and by relative power (W/kg).

ridiculouscyclist | 4 years ago
1 like

I'm 56, 74kg, generally pretty fit - current FTP is 243 (about 3.3 wkg)

My maximum heart rate would be about 175 bpm.

IanEdward | 4 years ago
1 like

Have just started training in earnest, although as usual have been hampered by injuries so not making the progress I would have hoped.

I'm 36, male, 85kg, highest heart rate I've seen is 185BPM (although a ramp test/threshold heart-rate test suggested it should be 179BPM however that was indoors) and my FTP is apparently 287W which places me at 3.3W/kg.

Given my build and my weight (relatively lean but still heavy, 6ft) I think I can only ever aspire to better power numbers, attempts at losing weight in the past have just left me hungry, irritable and no lighter!

Htc | 4 years ago
1 like

I'm 32, 70-72kg with an FTP of 350, my max HR this year has been 205.

Jimmy Ray Will replied to Htc | 4 years ago
2 likes

Htc wrote:

Do you race? If not, why not, and if you do, what level do you ride at? 

Thats a big number and relatively low weight, so you should be pretty damn handy!

Htc replied to Jimmy Ray Will | 4 years ago
2 likes

Jimmy Ray Will wrote:

Htc wrote:

Thats a big number and relatively low weight, so you should be pretty damn handy!

I do, I started last Jan year and moved up to Cat 2 by June. I've not been doing any formal training since April, just racing once a week and enjoying summer cafe rides. I have enough points to maintain Cat 2 for next season and I'll take things a bit more seriously again I think although I really only race because it's fun and I enjoy competing. My goal this year was just to be consistently finishing in the points in E/1/2 races which I have been doing so fairly happy with the level of effort in vs results.

Jimmy Ray Will replied to Htc | 4 years ago
2 likes

Htc wrote:

Jimmy Ray Will wrote:

Htc wrote:

I do, I started last Jan year and moved up to Cat 2 by June. I've not been doing any formal training since April, just racing once a week and enjoying summer cafe rides. I have enough points to maintain Cat 2 for next season and I'll take things a bit more seriously again I think although I really only race because it's fun and I enjoy competing. My goal this year was just to be consistently finishing in the points in E/1/2 races which I have been doing so fairly happy with the level of effort in vs results.

That's really impressive stuff. What's your top end like, peak power, 1min, 5min? And how tall are you? I'm not obsessing, honest, but from what you've outlined so far, I'd definitely be encouraging you to take things a little more seriously.  Sounds like you have buckets of natural talent... unless you tell me your 6ft 4 or something...

Comparitively, i'm 43, 78kg (should be more like 74kg, but its not been a great year!) with a max HR of 193 and an FTP of 340w at last time of asking.  Peak power 1,623w, 1min 720w, 5min 443w. 

I'm comfortably racing around E12 races as a first cat. 

HLaB | 4 years ago
2 likes

FWIW I am now officially a misserable old bastard having reached 43 years old.  My max HR is 201bpm although the most Ive hit regularly since my operation in April is 194bpm, although I deliberately haven't pushed.  My FTP in watts is quite low so I definetly look at w/kg. I train off 255w so as not to stress my self, whereas Strava reckons I am around 270w over the last 6 weeks (pre op was a more respectable 302w but I was 65kg then).  My weight seems to have stabilised around 60-61kg now, around 4.1w/kg (4.45w/kg if you believe Strava).  The chart places where I expected, better than most of mates but not as good as some of the folks I ride with. I've only ever time trialled though as I cant be bothered with all the crashing in a group  3

philhubbard | 4 years ago
1 like

Like Pete said, happy to share but you may be best looking at W/Kg. My FTP is 190W so around 3W/Kg, max HR is 198 at 26

peted76 | 4 years ago
3 likes

My MAX HR is 182, I'm 42 years young and don't know my current wattage output, but I'm quite sure it'd be in the tens of thousands. However wattage counts for not a lot really.. a better measure would be watts per kilo.

Take a look at this which isn't too far out comparison wise, bear in mind it's American so they have an extra category - https://bristolbikecentre.com/blog/how-do-you-compare-to-other-cyclists/ 

Be warned though comparing yourself to others could be a road to unhappiness. There will always be many people faster than you, unless you get paid to cycle for a living.

Enter a race if you are competitive and want to know where you sit within your local cat4's or join a club to ride with others, you will find a group who are at your level with similar goals.

Latest Comments