Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cycling Through a Flood

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-scotland-49275630/determined-cyclist-ma...

Not for me !
I wouldn't go through anything more than a couple of cm.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
0 likes

The deepest flood I've attempted was just over my bottom bracket, so no chance of keeping my feet dry. I thought I could build up some speed and just sail through it with my feet off the pedals, but it's surprising just how much deep water slows you down.

My tip is to aim for the middle of the road (assuming no other traffic can navigate the deep water) and thus avoid any drains or potholes. It's usually less deep in the middle of the road.

HoarseMann | 4 years ago
1 like

I always think of this when I see flood water...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2706663/Father-saves-daughter-as...

There are a couple of places on my commute that flood occasionally, so I’ve checked them when dry for drains and manhole covers (also noted the camber on the road and where the highest point is). With this knowledge, I do ride through carefully when it floods.

Boatsie | 4 years ago
0 likes

You guys are awesome.. I'm giggling here..

I've driven trucks through floods and I hate it.. The reflector posts Bury beneath the surface of the water and we just use best knowledge to guess the road contour. Not all puddles are driven through, like mentioned, a uniform mass of one tonne per cubic metre with a massive momentum can literally push the road out from its easy path. I'd want to know the road and current strength and then I don't think I'm as crazy as you guys.. I couldn't imagine cleaning the bike afterwards..

But I do wonder.. Hmm. Did you guys make displacement waves? That'd look awesome.  1

Mungecrundle | 4 years ago
0 likes

Running water is more powerful than you might think. Flooded roads can be particularly dangerous. Manhole covers can be forced upwards, the road surface can be severely damaged there may be other debris under the surface. You won't see those hazards. Floodwater is also most likely full of raw sewage and other unpleasantness.

When the emergency services are already dealing with an incident, it is sort of a bit irresponsible to put yourself at risk.

CXR94Di2 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Ive cycle through water upto BB, but no more.  Carry bike get wet feet

Welsh boy | 4 years ago
0 likes

I have managed to get as deep as the top of my wheels on my road bike  before realising that it was getting VERY difficuly to steer (I could only just manage to turn my bars) and that I was going so slow that I was in real danger of falling over and disapearing below the water never to be seen again.  At this point I dismonted and walked the rest of the way, the water was mid thigh deep and I arrived at the far end of the flood to the amusement of a number of motorists watching my progress wondering if they could get their cars and vans throgh.  Like ktache said, once you are above ankle deep you may as well keep going.

Redvee | 4 years ago
0 likes

I've ridden through ankle deep water, that's ankle deep when your foot is on the bottom of the pedal stroke. When I set out the weather was dry but I still put my Sealskinz socks on and when I got to the water I was glad I did as there is quite a detour. 

ktache | 4 years ago
2 likes

I have ridden at least wheel spindle deep through on road floods.  No electrics, no exhaust and no engine air intake to block.  Rode past many stranded cars, vans and big, soft roaders.  Past old bill telling me to turn back too, but I needed to get somewhere urgent on that occasion and couldn't make the massive detour.  MTBs, onto granny ring and push onwards.  Once your feet are soaked it stops mattering that much.  Top of the crest of the road is best, and if nothing else is moving why not.  Stay well away from the gutter and kerb.  The only real danger is missing manhole covers, if the front wheel drops then be prepared to dive to the side, I guess.  That and look for upwelling water.  A bit safer than walking though, where you might want a testing stick.

I'd have to think about fast flowing water these days, especially from the side, but there is not that much surface area to push you, and you are not going to float away like cars can.  In the past I have attempted off road river side paths, being very careful and on paths I have known very well.  Good lights do help here, and darkness.  The last time the Thames flooded I did err on the side of caution and diverted through Reading town, enjoying the carmaggedon that one bridge being out caused.  But I just didn't want soaking wet and cold feet then, it had stopped raining.

Riding past stranded motorists who judged it wrong is wonderful, there's one in the  video.

The cyclist riding through the flood is a tradition of flood videos as is the local canoeist.

Apparently the Rohloff doesn't like the total immersion thing so I might have to be a bit more grown up now, but there is something of a childlike glee in going knee deep on the downstroke, big grin.

Latest Comments