Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

What do you think of Wilier bikes?

Our local bike shop has a chance to expand its range of Wilier bikes and it got me thinking about the brand. It's Italian (which always has a degree of coolness attached) and they don't seem ridiculously overpriced (unlike Colnago). But I don't see too many around. I wonder why.

Has anyone ever owned one, or thought of buying one? What's your experience and opinions on Wilier?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

15 comments

slowbutsure | 4 years ago
0 likes
slowbutsure | 4 years ago
0 likes

Great bikes with a pedigree to boot. You will not be disappointed if you own one.

Kieran0885 | 4 years ago
0 likes
Kieran0885 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Ive been curious myself.  This is a lovely looking bike in my opinion 

lolol | 4 years ago
2 likes

here's my Zero 7 about to be ridden up the Sa Colabra climb. Love this bike, the only race bike I've ever had that I can ride full days for a whole week and not even notice it, cant do that on my colnago or condor.

Glov Zaroff | 4 years ago
1 like

Luckily it fits in a BBA if you're a short ar$e like me!

Nick T | 4 years ago
0 likes

Heh, we’ve got almost the same stable. Cento Uno with Record, Master with Chorus and a C60 with SR. The only thing that would stop me taking the Wilier to the alps in the integrated seat post which doesn’t fit in bike boxes easily 

Glov Zaroff | 4 years ago
4 likes

What Nick T said.

I've also got a 2011 Cento Uno. Mine's loaded with Super Record and all things bling and it's a tremendous bike. I'm also lucky enough to own a Colnago Master, a C59 and several other fancy and more recent road bikes, but I still took my Cento to the Alps last month because it rides like a dream.

The most famous Wilier rider was Pantani. HIs unbeaten time up Huez was on a Wilier.

Oh and it's V-ilier, not Willy-er. The 'W' is an abreviation for 'Viva'. The Italians don't use the the letter W in their alphabet.

Nick T | 4 years ago
1 like

Wilier bikes are nice, I have a 2011 Cento Uno which I still love riding. Allesandro Balan and Damiano Cunego rode that frameset to a World Championship 1-2 back when in 2008 Wilier sponsored Lampre. They spent a good few years in the peloton before parting ways with Lampre, and the history goes back about 110 years now. The original company closed down donkeys years ago but was revived by some enthusiasts  in its current form probably 30 years ago now. Ride wise the geometries are quite similar to other Italian brands, they go for a longer top tube and slightly slacker steering, my Cento Uno rides a lot like my Colnagos do

huntswheelers | 4 years ago
3 likes

I'm a bike mechanic and I have loads of bikes through the workshop from cheap supermarket/store brands to high end bikes... Common "Brands" are in some cases as poorly built or have hidden cost cutting under the shiny paint and graphics....I build bikes to order and customer specs too ....for me I get no greater pleasure to work on quality bikes like Wilier,Basso, Colnago,Bianchi, Cipollini,Bottechia ...notice the pattern.... Obviously high end Trek and Specialized are nice to work on too. I ride with a guy who has Basso & Wilier bikes...he loves them, I have to declare I ride Bianchi Bikes myself..... And one of my other ride buddies is currently looking at Wilier..... As Stu says when people ask about his Wilier..."they don't know what they are missing, Brit's are fickle but they can keep their "brands"...I'm not sharing how good Italian bikes are or they'll all want one" lol.... Whatever you ride...enjoy your journey.... From the tools side... You can't beat a well designed & built bike...

jaysa | 4 years ago
2 likes

That metallic copper finish is called Ramato. Saw one on the road for the first time last week and it looked gorgeous.

ktache | 4 years ago
2 likes

They make lovely looking bikes,  Bloke at work got one, took me ages to figure out what the logo actually said.  Really nice bike.  I've just been on their site to look at what their new bikes were like, and they do look so good.

And then I found this,

maviczap replied to ktache | 4 years ago
1 like
ktache wrote:

They make lovely looking bikes,  Bloke at work got one, took me ages to figure out what the logo actually said.  Really nice bike.  I've just been on their site to look at what their new bikes were like, and they do look so good.

And then I found this,

I saw a version of that at the Cycle show, it had a silver Athena groupset and silver rimmed wheels, it looked even nicer, but I'd have either

Kapelmuur replied to ktache | 4 years ago
1 like

There’s one displayed in the window of the bike shop in Knutsford, it’s beautiful.

ktache wrote:

And then I found this,

maviczap | 4 years ago
2 likes

I have a Wilier Izoard, had it for ages, it's still my favourite bike, and I've just come back from a trip to the Pyrenees on it. Wilier has a long a pedigree as Colnago and Pinarello, just not the race wins that the other two brands have had. I saw more Wiliers in France, than the other two. You won't be disappointed, just as good as any other brand. Don't forget most carbon frames are built in the Far East these days, except for some top end ones.

Latest Comments