Home

HI,

I have a short cage 105 rear mech (5700) and a Deore XT long cage rear mech. Can i swap the long cage from the XT onto the 105? will it fit?

9 comments

Woldsman [323 posts] 1 month ago
1 like

Assuming your XT is 9 speed you can swap the entire mech to replace the 10 speed 105 rear derailleur. Do be aware that some XT models (eg M772) don’t have a barrel adjuster, so you may need to fit an inline  one (eg Jagwire).  

Note: you cannot simply fit a 10 speed XT to a bike that previously ran a road 10 speed system such as 105 as the shift ratio is different. 

BehindTheBikesheds [3322 posts] 1 month ago
0 likes

Good answer from Woldsman, another thing is what's the largest sprocket you're aiming to use, the 6700 SS I know for definite had a Shimano stated 30T max. IF the 5700SS has same I reckon you'd be able to do 32T with the usual B tension screw done right in. Obvs if you're going bigger then that's probably not doable.

currently I run an Ultegra 6800 SS with a 32T and it was only designed for a 28T

Any of the 7/8/9 speed MTB mechs would work if your XT isn't 9 speed era.

Chris Hayes [443 posts] 1 month ago
1 like

I've just bought a Wolf Tooth Road Link to faciliate a larger cassette.  It's pretty expensive for what it is - a drop hanger for derailleur -  but it's cheaper than a new derailleur and you don't have to break your chain (which in old money means a new one).  They're GBP 23 on AMZN Prime (an outlet I rarely use for bike parts,  but few bike shops stock them - not even mine, which is Condor).  

Welsh boy [673 posts] 1 month ago
2 likes
Chris Hayes wrote:

I've just bought a Wolf Tooth Road Link to faciliate a larger cassette.  It's pretty expensive for what it is - a drop hanger for derailleur -  but it's cheaper than a new derailleur and you don't have to break your chain (which in old money means a new one).  They're GBP 23 on AMZN Prime (an outlet I rarely use for bike parts,  but few bike shops stock them - not even mine, which is Condor).  

I bought a generic extender off eBay for less than £5 which works fine, I dont see how a Wolftooth can be any different or better.  Just search Derailleur extender and take your pick.

Dingaling [110 posts] 1 month ago
2 likes

These look just like wolftooth and are cheaper, as Welsh boy wrote:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Bike-Rear-Derailleur-Hanger-Extender-Road-Bicycl...

Welsh boy [673 posts] 1 month ago
0 likes
Dingaling wrote:

These look just like wolftooth and are cheaper, as Welsh boy wrote:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Bike-Rear-Derailleur-Hanger-Extender-Road-Bicycl...

Keep looking, they are on there for less than £2 now

Collins [4 posts] 4 weeks ago
0 likes

You can buy a long arm for the derailier and swap it out, not sure where from though as the bike shop did mine.

jacknorell [1061 posts] 4 weeks ago
0 likes
Collins wrote:

You can buy a long arm for the derailier and swap it out, not sure where from though as the bike shop did mine.

SJS cycles should have the parts

bikercat [12 posts] 4 weeks ago
0 likes

Not answering the question I know, but SJS cycles are fantastic for those hard to source parts.