Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Suggestions for a ride away

As I have had a lot on my plate lately and knowing how much a long ride helps my mental wellbeing, my wife has suggested that I get away from her and the kids for a day or so to ride somewhere new.

With that in mind, I have been looking at places that I can go which are no more than say three hours from Norwich (either by car or train) so that I can travel down on the morning of day one, get a ride in late morning/lunchtime, stay over somewhere and then fit another ride in the following morning before heading home.

So far, I have considered the train down to London, a short ride to South West London to stay in a cheapish hotel and use this as a base to explore the Surrey Hills (I have given up on getting a ride London place).

Ideally, I would like to get up to Scotland (Fort William would be great) as I did End to End seven years ago and love the natural beauty and isolation but the plan is to only be away for one night, so that one is out (although on the list for a future excursion).

Does anyone have any other suggestions that would meet the criteria? 

Thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

Southy83 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the responses. 

PRSboy, I had thought about the Isle of Wight before, might do that if the wife would stretch to an extra day in the future. Although that then puts me into Caledonian Sleeper to Fort William for a shifty 120km ride and return that evening.

Tinbob, the plan is to get away from my standard Norwich loops as I have ridden the roads near me too many times to count, have looked on Veloviewer and have covered a large swathe of Norfolk now, think a friend wants to do the train to Liverpool and ride back over an extra day, but want to do something where I have a base so I can leave bags and ride light.

Am thinking maybe an Air BnB in Suffolk. Drive down mid-morning, get a 100k ride in. Then do another one the following day before heading back.

Tinbob49 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Derby is 3.5 hours away, and from there you're within touching distance of the Peak district? Sheffield is closer still and not that much further north.

The other thing I have done recently is day trips out from Norwich and then trains back. In May I cycled from west Norwich to London with a train back in the evening. 114 miles. I'd be happy to share the route if you're interested?

PRSboy | 4 years ago
0 likes

Why not go down to the Isle of Wight?

Its 4 hrs rather than 3, but Stay in Portsmouth or Southampton, get an early ferry across.  You could do a nice 60ish mile loop of the Island; quiet roads, sea views and fresh air, then travel back home in the evening.

I find whenever I go there I feel like I've been 'away' as it involves a boat.  Not expensive for a footpassenger with bike.

Latest Comments