Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Hit of the Day!

Having been hit by a speeding vehicle from behind I am lucky to have got away with cuts and bruises rather than life threatening injuries. My bike was not so lucky but hey ... I am thankful and pretty philosophical about it.

There were witnesses but the driver did not stop. I have photos of the offender driving off but it is difficult to make out the reg and certainly not the occupant.

So, I have a couple of questions:

Anyone an expert with image enhancement and reckon they can get a reg number out of the photos? Any CSI investigators out there?

Do the police usually take over a week to respond to an online incident report?

Having no insurance has anyone used a No Win No Fee service? I don't trust the vultures but would appreciate and investigation and and a bit of cash to help pay for bike repairs.

What do you reckon folks? I am nervous that most of you are going to say 'me too'.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

15 comments

jink20 | 4 years ago
1 like

Apologies can't help with the image, but the following info may be of interest to you.

The Police have up to 6 months to lay an information before the Courts for the purpose of issuing a summons to the offending driver, if identified.

If you have a named Investigator (are they a civilian or a Police officer) ask them if;

Are they/ have they conducted an ANPR search for the offending vehicle?

Has someone considered/completed a vehicle search on the colour/make/model of the offending vehicle within your post code area on the PNC database?

Have the local PCSO's been spoken to? They may know the vehicle/driver.

Has Surrey Police researched their own databases to confirm the offending driver hasn't already reported the accident?

….......…..........................................................................................................................................

Local bus company/taxi drivers may  know of the offending vehicle.

Any vehicle parts left behind? Parts have part numbers that are researchable.

Did any of your witnesses mention anything unique about the offending vehicle? Membership stickers on the windows? CB aerials etc

Have you considered your local newspaper for a witness appeal? Social media appeal?

Any local body shops been approached for cash payment work? Insurance claim (if they had any) by the offending driver may not be in their interest.

Write down everything you remember about the accident. If you haven't already completed an accident report, Surrey Police may send you correspondence to fill in later. 

Best of luck

starchild replied to jink20 | 4 years ago
0 likes
jink20 wrote:

Apologies can't help with the image, but the following info may be of interest to you.

The Police have up to 6 months to lay an information before the Courts for the purpose of issuing a summons to the offending driver, if identified.

If you have a named Investigator (are they a civilian or a Police officer) ask them if;

Are they/ have they conducted an ANPR search for the offending vehicle?

Has someone considered/completed a vehicle search on the colour/make/model of the offending vehicle within your post code area on the PNC database?

Have the local PCSO's been spoken to? They may know the vehicle/driver.

Has Surrey Police researched their own databases to confirm the offending driver hasn't already reported the accident?

….......…..........................................................................................................................................

Local bus company/taxi drivers may  know of the offending vehicle.

Any vehicle parts left behind? Parts have part numbers that are researchable.

Did any of your witnesses mention anything unique about the offending vehicle? Membership stickers on the windows? CB aerials etc

Have you considered your local newspaper for a witness appeal? Social media appeal?

Any local body shops been approached for cash payment work? Insurance claim (if they had any) by the offending driver may not be in their interest.

Write down everything you remember about the accident. If you haven't already completed an accident report, Surrey Police may send you correspondence to fill in later. 

Best of luck

Such good information.
Everyone should know all of this.
Many, many thanks

Dangerous Dan | 4 years ago
1 like

Sorry to say, but with a single image it is very difficult to improve resolution. I have done some image enhancement for industrial machinery, and I doubt that picture can get much better.

The vehicle is too far away and additionally the image was saved as a JPEG file. JPEG compression does loose some resolution. Do you know if you have the raw pixel image? It would be a long shot.

I would guess that your best bet is to go to the location where this happened and see if anyone in the neighborhood saw the incident. They may have, and with a little bit of luck they can help.

Also sorry to say that your experience matches mine here in the US. Local police go ape$$$$ over a baggie of weed, but couldn't care less about truly dangerous drivers.

I know that the cow is out of the barn this time, but it seems to me that maybe we serious cyclists and bicycle commuters all need to be using video cameras. I have just purchased a Drift Ghost camera. Including a really big memory card it cost me $125.00 US.

I bought it because the driver of a GMC 3/4 ton pickup threatened to "run your fXXXing a$$ over" because I was "riding in the middle of the road". I must have cost this fine specimen of humanity all of 4 seconds. Local LEO told me that without a video there is nothing they can do.

Second day riding with it and I already captured a Toyota RAV4 (I have the plate number in glorious electrons) making a dangerous left turn (through a stop sign) from a smaller side street across my lane, missing me by maybe a foot. I sent an e-mail to the local council bicycle agency. Let's see if they can do anything now that I have a video.

starchild replied to Dangerous Dan | 4 years ago
0 likes
Dangerous Dan wrote:

Sorry to say, but with a single image it is very difficult to improve resolution. I have done some image enhancement for industrial machinery, and I doubt that picture can get much better.

The vehicle is too far away and additionally the image was saved as a JPEG file. JPEG compression does loose some resolution. Do you know if you have the raw pixel image? It would be a long shot.

I would guess that your best bet is to go to the location where this happened and see if anyone in the neighborhood saw the incident. They may have, and with a little bit of luck they can help.

Also sorry to say that your experience matches mine here in the US. Local police go ape$$$$ over a baggie of weed, but couldn't care less about truly dangerous drivers.

I know that the cow is out of the barn this time, but it seems to me that maybe we serious cyclists and bicycle commuters all need to be using video cameras. I have just purchased a Drift Ghost camera. Including a really big memory card it cost me $125.00 US.

I bought it because the driver of a GMC 3/4 ton pickup threatened to "run your fXXXing a$$ over" because I was "riding in the middle of the road". I must have cost this fine specimen of humanity all of 4 seconds. Local LEO told me that without a video there is nothing they can do.

Second day riding with it and I already captured a Toyota RAV4 (I have the plate number in glorious electrons) making a dangerous left turn (through a stop sign) from a smaller side street across my lane, missing me by maybe a foot. I sent an e-mail to the local council bicycle agency. Let's see if they can do anything now that I have a video.

If I had a camera I would probably have had it facing forward and having been hit from behind I doubt it would have revealed anything of the suspect vehicle.

I have used a video camera before and it can become a bit of an obsession and a distraction to simply riding your bike. However, I may have to review that decision in light of this incedent.

Good luck with your case and thanks for looking at the image.

BehindTheBikesheds | 4 years ago
2 likes

Have a look around the area yourself to see what CCTV may possibly have caught this scumbag and an approx time for the vehicle to have passed it.

I hope you get some joy, I had zero help from the police when I was hit and run.

Also you might get some joy re compo for injuries from the MIB.

Hirsute replied to BehindTheBikesheds | 4 years ago
2 likes
BehindTheBikesheds wrote:

Have a look around the area yourself to see what CCTV may possibly have caught this scumbag and an approx time for the vehicle to have passed it.

I thought it was standard procedure now to go around asking for cctv as the police can't be bothered.

starchild replied to BehindTheBikesheds | 4 years ago
0 likes
BehindTheBikesheds wrote:

I hope you get some joy, I had zero help from the police when I was hit and run.

Also you might get some joy re compo for injuries from the MIB.

Thanks!
Depending which way they came before & after hitting me there may well be CCTV footage.
Police now on the case after they get through the 2 weeks or 200 cases in front of mine.
Hope any image gleaned is clearer than mine!

Drinfinity | 4 years ago
2 likes

Nope, sorry there just isn’t any resolution on that plate. The blue vehicle in the foreground isn’t legible either, although you can at least see smudges on it.

Do you have multiple pictures? It may be possible to stack them. By possible I mean probably  unlikely to yield anything.

You would have more luck hanging out at the same time another day and see if they are a regular commuter. 

hawkinspeter replied to Drinfinity | 4 years ago
1 like

Drinfinity wrote:

Nope, sorry there just isn’t any resolution on that plate. The blue vehicle in the foreground isn’t legible either, although you can at least see smudges on it.

Do you have multiple pictures? It may be possible to stack them. By possible I mean probably  unlikely to yield anything.

You would have more luck hanging out at the same time another day and see if they are a regular commuter. 

I had a quick look and came to the same conclusion - there's just not enough detail to work with.

starchild replied to Drinfinity | 4 years ago
0 likes
Drinfinity wrote:

Thanks for your comments but really trying hard not to become fixated on this vehicle. The incident happened at the end of my road and I am keeping my eye tuned but not to the extent of camping out! Allthough I am tempted!

starchild | 4 years ago
1 like

CSI assistance anyone please.

Dark short wheel base Mitsibushi 4x4 - Shogun perhaps?

Any assistance in revealing the number plate would be most helpful and possibly lead to a prosecution and one less dangerous driver on the road.

Due to the 256mb file size limit here's the link to the photo:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KVi-1nmIgjC5qChaiDll-0fLf9upRKYa/view?u...

PRSboy | 4 years ago
3 likes

I would open a case with the Police via the non-emergency number 101 and/or visit the local station and offer your video and witness reports/contact details as evidence, the sooner the better.

This is not a close pass - you were driven into and the driver left the scene so has committed two crimes  For all they knew you were badly hurt.

Glad to hear you are OK, and I hope you can get redress for your uninsured loss.

starchild replied to PRSboy | 4 years ago
0 likes

PRSboy wrote:

I would open a case with the Police via the non-emergency number 101 and/or visit the local station and offer your video and witness reports/contact details as evidence, the sooner the better.

This is not a close pass - you were driven into and the driver left the scene so has committed two crimes  For all they knew you were badly hurt.

Glad to hear you are OK, and I hope you can get redress for your uninsured loss.

Thank you.

Yes, I have now made a 2nd report to the police referencing the 1st and also contacted my local councillors having recently raised the issue of the dangerous local 'rat run'.

hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
3 likes

Sorry to hear that.

Firstly, the police can easily take over a week to respond to online reports. As it's a hit and run, you may be better off reporting it in person or at least make sure that you've got a crime reference number from your online report.

I haven't any experience with enhancing photos, but you could post one on here or add a link to one so that people could give it a go or let you know how likely it is to work.

I doubt you'd have much luck with a No Win No Fee service until you can identify the vehicle/motorist and then you could pursue damages.

Anyhow, I'm glad that you're not seriously injured.

starchild replied to hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
0 likes

hawkinspeter wrote:

Sorry to hear that.

Firstly, the police can easily take over a week to respond to online reports. As it's a hit and run, you may be better off reporting it in person or at least make sure that you've got a crime reference number from your online report.

I haven't any experience with enhancing photos, but you could post one on here or add a link to one so that people could give it a go or let you know how likely it is to work.

I doubt you'd have much luck with a No Win No Fee service until you can identify the vehicle/motorist and then you could pursue damages.

Anyhow, I'm glad that you're not seriously injured.

Thank you

I have escalated the incident through my councillors who hopefully may be able to access CCTV footage and a follow up report on the Surrey Police website. Only a couple of emails and a missed call so far but ...

I will post the photos too to see if anyone can help.

Latest Comments