Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New wheels, free hub silent

I just fitted my first new wheel set. A pair of fulcrum racing 7s. Got them on no problems but the free hub is silent. Is this normal for a new hub? I read online that the fulcrum hubs weren’t exactly the quietest? Just want to check I haven’t done anything wrong. Thanks 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

Kieran0885 | 4 years ago
2 likes

been out for a ride and they have now started with a quiet noise. Tbh I’m not bothered how loud or quiet they are as long as they work well which thy seem to be doing. I really did underestimate how big a difference good wheels would make. Even on braking too. 

maviczap | 4 years ago
0 likes

My Campag Zondas are silent, which are the same freehub as your Fulcrums, and I like a nice quiet freehub.

Campag/Fulcrum are about the quietest.

bobbinogs | 4 years ago
0 likes

Some wheels can start quiet until the packed grease/lube thins out and then you will hear the pawls clicking, others just stay the way they start.  Nothing to worry about on Fulcrum/Campag and some freehubs, e.g., top of the range Dura-Ace cannot even be re-lubed properly when/if they do dry out.

Ungulate | 4 years ago
0 likes

Yep, I'd say normal for new fulcrum, my Campag Bora 2018s are very quiet, one problem is the pedestrians can't hear me freewheeling up behind them

Simon E | 4 years ago
1 like

Some brands are noisy (e.g. Hope), some are quiet. All the freehubs on Shimano wheels I've tried are very quiet. I like it.

Latest Comments