Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New bike advice pls

Im looking for some advice on a new bike. I'm eligible for a £1k bike through B2W (Cycle Solutions). I'm looking for a fast hybrid for commuting approx. 10 miles a day, broken (potholed) roads, in Edinburgh (hilly). So I'm proposing an aluminium frame with carbon fork, 700c or 650b wheels, hydraulic brakes, flat bar and shimano 105 (prefer the 7000 series but...). My 3 shortlisted options are: Cannondale Quick disc 1 2019 (comfortable but older 5800 series, Merida Speeder 400 2018, Canyon Roadlite 7.0.

Thanks in advance for advice offered

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

Victorysoul1412 | 4 years ago
0 likes

It's easy to check out google when you want to buy a new bike :3 to get some good deals you can check some coupon website like this  or check some big store like bike-uk or decathlon

Craigford | 4 years ago
0 likes

All, today I ordered the Cannondale. I love the Canyon bike but couldn't justify the price uplift from it not being available on cycle to work. I'll post a video of the bike when it arrives. Thanks again

Craigford | 4 years ago
0 likes

Peeps, thanks for all the advice. The Csnnondsle has the greatest tyre clearance so tried it in a size M today. Top tube was too high, so trying a size S over the next few days. Thsnks to all for your advice, very helpful.

alansmurphy | 4 years ago
0 likes

I think it is only being raised for e-bikes...

Boombang | 4 years ago
0 likes

I thought the £1k limit was in the process of being, or had been, lifted (to do with inclusion/accessibility and e-bikes being more than £1k).

Not suggesting you have to spend more, but if interests you it is worth asking before you commit.

The advice on as big a tyres as possible is a good one.

Boatsie | 4 years ago
0 likes

Look at mudguard and rack options too bro.
Your country has a beautiful greenery hence mud flaps would greatly help keep things clean on many days and they're light as.
Rack options worth a look too. They carry loads easy, they're out of the way, an option to upgrade is lovely. Makes shopping easier.

Boatsie | 4 years ago
0 likes

To me all 3 have really good components.. I don't know that stuff..
But I'd look at which bike you like the feel of and tyre clearances.
I know I had 3 flat bar bikes. 1 went Max at 700c28..
Another at 700c32 rear.
Another at 700c35 rear.
The wider tyre option is worth consideration.
It makes rides enjoyable on less desirable roads, less punctures, good speeds, less wear and tear..
Internet didn't show tyre clearances.. Check them out. 38s your laughing. 32 is comfortable, I don't puncture, I carry weight, I've hung the bike many months and ridden half flat without issue (although noticed the tyre moving around), 4 miles later pumped it up quickly with handpump.
I'd love a 38 rear.. Not my appointment. Just one of my misses.
32 clearance is a reliable machine. 35 clearance +1 reliability. 38 is widest road tyre I know use of and I think they're a perfect blend of what many want. Gravel, pothole, smooth road... Maintaining a decent speed.

Hope that helps.. Nice bikes.

Latest Comments