Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Premium Valve Cores

Hi, Does anyone know of inner tube Shrader valve cores that do not leak air?  Seems most cores leak air to a small degree, as I have to pump my tires every ride.  Just wondering if there are cores on the market that are best at holding the air.  Thanks!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

Spangly Shiny | 4 years ago
0 likes
BrokenBootneck | 4 years ago
0 likes

Bloody hell and I thought tubes were apparently great and trumped tubeless for this reason. I pump up my commuter once a week use it Monday to Friday and lose about 15psi do max on my tubeless sector 28s. 

Still cant see me going back to inner tubes. 

Sorry I know none of this actually helps. 

Pilot Pete replied to BrokenBootneck | 4 years ago
0 likes

BrokenBootneck wrote:

Bloody hell and I thought tubes were apparently great and trumped tubeless for this reason. I pump up my commuter once a week use it Monday to Friday and lose about 15psi do max on my tubeless sector 28s. 

What, tubes lose 5-10psi a week and your tubeless lose 15psi and you are selling it as a plus point for tubeless? I don’t get your logic.

PP

BrokenBootneck replied to Pilot Pete | 4 years ago
0 likes

Pilot Pete wrote:

BrokenBootneck wrote:

What, tubes lose 5-10psi a week and your tubeless lose 15psi and you are selling it as a plus point for tubeless? I don’t get your logic.

PP

well I pump them up to a max of 80psi and have riden them at 40psi so it makes no difference.

If you are pumping up your tyres once a week does the fact i’ve lost an extra 5psi make any difference?

used to run them at 60 but normally in 75/70 now.  

3 years of running tubeless, once on my very first puncture I put a tube in. Didn’t really know what I was doing. I commute every day including extended commutes always through Southampton every day past all the student accom and  broken glass this is one either pro ones or sector 28s  

Have used noddles a few times even in a sidewall cut that got me home and lasted the week commuting. 

Sorry i seem seem to have started a tube v tubeless debate. But my valves are fine and I’ve not really had any isssues. 

There that should fix it. 

Canyon48 | 4 years ago
0 likes

How much do your tyres deflate and how often do you ride?

My conti tubes lose about 5-10psi if left for a week. My Vittoria latex tubes lose 10 PSI overnight.

It's normal for any innertube to deflate a little - the thinner they are, the more they deflate.

oxford_guy | 4 years ago
0 likes

Silca do sell premiun valve cores, but only for Presta valves: https://silca.cc/products/replacement-presta-valve-core-set-of-4

brooksby | 4 years ago
2 likes

If you are having to pump up your tyres before every ride then I'd vote with hirsute and say you're far more likely to have a slow puncture going on rather than a fault with the valves.

Hirsute | 4 years ago
3 likes

Sounds like you have a puncture.

bechdan | 4 years ago
1 like

Are you sure the core is leaking? Try submerging it in a sink and check for bubbles.
Some tubes are more porous than others so might just need to get thicker tubes.
If the core is definitely leaking then you should be able to sort it with some PTFE tape, around the threads and around the core bung.

Latest Comments