Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Are all 2032 Coin Batteries pretty similar?

Looking for a decent coin battery CR2032 to out in my powermeter.  Are they all farily similar or are some better than others?  These panasonic ones seem good value at £2 for 6 and a known brand.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-CR2032-Lithium-Volt-Battery-Silver/dp...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

15 comments

Bmblbzzz | 4 years ago
1 like

It's not just the danger of choking, certain types of battery can cause chemical burns in the stomach. 

hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
0 likes

I can testify that cheap ones from EBay and Pound shops are a waste of time.

Tjuice | 4 years ago
0 likes

In recent years, I have found the Maxell branded ones to be absolutely terrible.  For me, they seem to die very quickly indeed. 

I now buy some other generic, cheap brand off eBay, but avoid the Maxell ones, and that seems to work fine for me.

jacknorell | 4 years ago
1 like

The IKEA ones are cheap and last a long time. Poundland ones are a bit crap though

check12 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Go for long expiry date too 

mc | 4 years ago
0 likes

As srchar said, buy them from a reputable source.

I've bougth cheap coin cells before, and it's a false economy.

I got a couple batches of eBay for using in digital calipers, and they lasted a month at best, whereas the ones I bought from RS last for months, and as I've got an account with them, they weren't that much more expensive.

bertisfantastic | 4 years ago
2 likes

but keep them away from small children. they are properly nasty if swallowed. 

jh27 replied to bertisfantastic | 4 years ago
0 likes

bertisfantastic wrote:

At 20 mm diameter, 2032s are far to large for small children to swallow.  There are (much less common) smaller diameter coin cells and ofcourse button cells that can be swallowed - my eldest swallowed a couple of LR44 when she was a toddler (found a pocket calculator and got the back off it) and was kept in hospital for observation for a couple of nights - she passed them without incident.

DoctorFish replied to jh27 | 4 years ago
4 likes

jh27 wrote:

bertisfantastic wrote:

At 20 mm diameter, 2032s are far to large for small children to swallow.  There are (much less common) smaller diameter coin cells and ofcourse button cells that can be swallowed - my eldest swallowed a couple of LR44 when she was a toddler (found a pocket calculator and got the back off it) and was kept in hospital for observation for a couple of nights - she passed them without incident.

Swallowed the batteries out of a pocket calculator?

Something doesn't add up in this story!   3

Glad she was okay.

Rich_cb replied to jh27 | 4 years ago
2 likes
jh27]<p>[quote=bertisfantastic wrote:

A toddler can easily swallow a 2032.

If they do they need to go to A+E ASAP as it can be fatal.

https://www.poison.org/articles/button-batteries

stomec replied to Rich_cb | 4 years ago
1 like

Rich_cb][quote=jh27 wrote:

bertisfantastic wrote:

A toddler can easily swallow a 2032. If they do they need to go to A+E ASAP as it can be fatal. https://www.poison.org/articles/button-batteries

Seconded. Why do people post rubbish about things they know nothing about? 

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0165587613002851

Even a 10 second Google search would have revealed that small children frequently ingest and even die from 20mm button battery ingestion. 

If you suspect a child has ingested a button battery get to the emergency department ASAP. 

jh27 replied to Rich_cb | 4 years ago
1 like

Rich_cb wrote:

jh27 wrote:

A toddler can easily swallow a 2032. If they do they need to go to A+E ASAP as it can be fatal. https://www.poison.org/articles/button-batteries

I stand corrected. I would have thought small batteries were more dangerous as they are more easily swallowed -  of course we should never underestimate the ability of children to eat things they shouldn't.  Apparently they are especially dangerous because of the danger of them getting stuck. I totally concur with the sentiment to get them to hospital ASAP, if you suspect that they've swallowed batteries (as I did when my daughter swallowed LR44s).

srchar | 4 years ago
1 like

Bizarrely, not all CR2032 batteries are the same.  I have a Suunto dive computer; Duracell CR2032s are too thick, while Panasonics fit fine.

You'll be fine with the Panasonics - just make sure you get them from a reputable seller to avoid fakes.

Spangly Shiny replied to srchar | 4 years ago
2 likes

srchar wrote:

Bizarrely, not all CR2032 batteries are the same.  I have a Suunto dive computer; Duracell CR2032s are too thick, while Panasonics fit fine.

You'll be fine with the Panasonics - just make sure you get them from a reputable seller to avoid fakes.

2032 refers to the diameter and thickness of the cell. 20mm diameter and 3.2mm thick. If the Duracells are too thick then they do not conform to the sizing criteria. That is unless the Panasonics are 2020's.

By the way after much trial and error I've ended up with Maxell as my go to cell.

srchar replied to Spangly Shiny | 4 years ago
0 likes

Spangly Shiny wrote:

2032 refers to the diameter and thickness of the cell. 20mm diameter and 3.2mm thick. If the Duracells are too thick then they do not conform to the sizing criteria.

The diameter and thickness measured fine on my cheapo digital vernier... I realised some time later that the Duracells are a different shape, the relief around the underside being shallower than the Panasonics. No idea ifthe Duracell is out of spec or the dive computer's battery recess, but I lean towards the latter, given that Duracell know a thing or two about making batteries!

Latest Comments