Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Helmet / bike cameras?

So I know this was due to be aired soon - and may even be under review by the lovely road.cc chaps - but I really wanted a bit of heads-up on getting a camera.

Putting aside my currently slightly random employment situation, I'm hoping to carry on commuting by bike at least 3-5 times a week, and would like to be able to record it for all the usual reasons.

Some of the things I'm wondering:
1. How much do I need to spend?
2. How much set-up is involved?
3. What do I need to consider when buying?
4. Should I stick it on my head or bike?

Etc., etc., you get the drift. Can anyone kick me off?

Thanks very much in advance!

Tim.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

James Warrener | 13 years ago
0 likes
timlennon | 13 years ago
0 likes

Yes, I saw that one! We bought my wife a helmet with her new bike, but neither of us ever bother when going out with the children (they get to go all cosy in a trailer!)

OldRidgeback | 13 years ago
0 likes

No problem - I wore a helmet for commuting for a long time and then didn't for a long time. Dunno if you've seen the thread I posted the other day about my wife's recent cycle accident but it makes me wonder whether fitting a thin wire or wicker basket at the front is another safety feature we could all benefit from.

timlennon | 13 years ago
0 likes

Thanks, OR. Bits of me want to commute without a helmet at all, but this isn't Amsterdam, after all ...

I shall investigate bike mounted options a bit more closely: since I'm always fiddling with my helmet anyway, I was concerned about how useful the video would be!

0 likes

timlennon - it'd be a lot different as it happens. Fixing a camera or light to your helmet risks a point load being exerted on your helmet should that side of the head strike the road in the event of a fall. A helmet would be useless to protect you in such an event as it's designed to reduce and spread a load exterted from an impact with a flat surface. Even if your head were to impact against a protusion, it's extremely unlikely this would be anything but a glancing blow. Fix a camera or light to your helmet if you wish, but be aware that this increases your risk factor.

timlennon | 13 years ago
0 likes

OldRidgeback, I'mnot sure how that would be any different from falling and hitting your helmet on any protruberance: if the helmet isn't already designed to deflect at least some of the impact from (for example) a kerb, then it's a bit useless anyway, no?

The Muvi looks interesting - how does it do wide-angle, etc.?

0 likes

Have to say that as long as you don't mind risking having a camera shaped hole in your skull in the event of an accident, then feel free to mount the camera on your helmet. Of course there are benefits of having the camera on the helmet as it'll see where you look, but to a large degree this negates any safety benefit of wearing a helmet.

Get a camera but mount it on the bike.

Fringe | 13 years ago
0 likes

how about a MUVI Atom, very small and very light going for around 50 notes on ebay, and can record 45 mins worth of hot commuting action. job done, no?  4

http://www.veho-uk.com/main/index.aspx

Latest Comments