Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Off-road riding

This is a great article in the Guadian about off-road riding in the days before MTBs and BMXs. 

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/jun/13/break-the-cycle-bri...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

Shades | 4 years ago
0 likes

Reminded me of growing up in Africa in the 70's; there were only 3 types of bikes, 'sit up and beg' with a 3 speed, steel racers and BMX made it's first appearance (helped by ET).  We used to 'scramble' our Raleigh racers around rough ground.  There was the odd buckled wheel or welding job but my Mum sorted that out via a local mechanic; it was in her interest as the bike meant she didn't have to ferry us about in the car (incl going to school).  Bikes, probably even the carbon road bikes, can take more punishment that people give them credit.

ktache | 4 years ago
1 like

Cheers OldRidgeback, I wonder why they didn't put this on their bike blog?

OldRidgeback replied to ktache | 4 years ago
2 likes

ktache wrote:

Cheers OldRidgeback, I wonder why they didn't put this on their bike blog?

Dunno, but it's a really interesting piece. It bring back memories of me and my mates out riding our 'trackers' on dirt tracks/pathways in the 70s. These were road bikes basically, but modified with cowhorn bars and (slightly) knobbly tyres. This was before MTBs had emerged from California. The nearest track was a cyclespeedway circuit, with half a berm.

Latest Comments