Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

the nature of this site

hadnt given it much thought until now but this site is basically an advertising hub based on cycling. take out the adverts and the advertorial and the news lifted from the net and you have a video of a near miss and a forum.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

35 comments

Boatsie | 4 years ago
1 like

I like forum.. I BS on here while dreaming of a nice comfortable rest after a ride. Riding is awful.. Pedal strokes.. Breath in during 4, breath out during 3. A 7 stroke recycling of breath makes me uncomfortable, yet I think my guts are getting stronger..
Hence riding sucks.. But.. Riding also blows..
Woahs to go from woah to go and back to woah.
I want a carbon fibre bike.. But can't think of how to get rid of unit after service. Alloy does me well. Giant melt pot in 50 years? 7 kg almost the lightest bike I've ever had..
Titanium looks awesome.. We had a race boat fitted with titanium. Lead blocks to bring sail dinghy up to race weight. Same deal per recycling yet hopes that we learn how to keep earth clean . Singapore looks nice. Giant melt pot. Ash into secured lake.. Let nature do her job!
She was toxic before discovery, letting her breath riding a bicycle feels great.

+1 man towards bicycle torque.
I like tricycles.. Are tricycle torques allowed here.  1

brooksby replied to Boatsie | 4 years ago
3 likes

Boatsie wrote:

I like forum.. I BS on here while dreaming of a nice comfortable rest after a ride. Riding is awful.. Pedal strokes.. Breath in during 4, breath out during 3. A 7 stroke recycling of breath makes me uncomfortable, yet I think my guts are getting stronger.. Hence riding sucks.. But.. Riding also blows.. Woahs to go from woah to go and back to woah. I want a carbon fibre bike.. But can't think of how to get rid of unit after service. Alloy does me well. Giant melt pot in 50 years? 7 kg almost the lightest bike I've ever had.. Titanium looks awesome.. We had a race boat fitted with titanium. Lead blocks to bring sail dinghy up to race weight. Same deal per recycling yet hopes that we learn how to keep earth clean . Singapore looks nice. Giant melt pot. Ash into secured lake.. Let nature do her job! She was toxic before discovery, letting her breath riding a bicycle feels great. +1 man towards bicycle torque. I like tricycles.. Are tricycle torques allowed here.  1

Ah, Boatsie... I've missed your Finnegans Wake stream of consciousness   (Or are you just a really badley written bot?)

don simon fbpe | 4 years ago
1 like

redbobot is bike.owner.

AlsoSomniloquism | 4 years ago
2 likes

So, anyone reckon RR had a bet with some of his pre-teen pals on how fast each of them could be banned from random web forums?

To criticise the name of the site by stating it isn't for road bikes or for roads (when it definitely seems it is mostly Road bikes with some into from sister sites), then post another seperatly criticising the CC hosting. 

To criticise site design yet use text speak/spelling and no capitals or spaces on lines in any of his posts as not needed.

And then this one.

srchar | 4 years ago
5 likes

I like it here. Many different topics are discussed, often with huge differences of opinion, and on the whole, contributors remain respectful. Well, about as respectful as Internet discussions get.

Even if road.cc was "just a forum" (it isn't), I'd visit weekly.

I don't like the advertorial or near hits of the day, but I just ignore them and enjoy the bits I do like.

It's frankly bizarre to post a complaint about a free website that you're not compelled to visit. OP, genuinely interested to hear what you thought the result would be? A heartfelt thank-you for the advice and editorial control?

hawkinspeter replied to srchar | 4 years ago
3 likes

srchar wrote:

I like it here. Many different topics are discussed, often with huge differences of opinion, and on the whole, contributors remain respectful. Well, about as respectful as Internet discussions get.

I don't like the advertorial or near hits of the day, but I just ignore them and enjoy the bits I do like.

It's frankly bizarre to post a complaint about a free website that you're not compelled to visit. OP, genuinely interested to hear what you thought the result would be? A heartfelt thank-you for the advice and editorial control?

It looks like Dave has closed their account, so we're not likely to get a response from redrobot.

They were certainly acting strangely - lots of forum posts that sounded like they were written by a 12 year old or a troll (why not both?). Then, after insulting the site design, content and readership, they called Dave's bluff (not a bluff) on deleting their account.

brooksby replied to hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
3 likes

hawkinspeter wrote:

srchar wrote:

It looks like Dave has closed their account, so we're not likely to get a response from redrobot.

They were certainly acting strangely - lots of forum posts that sounded like they were written by a 12 year old or a troll (why not both?). Then, after insulting the site design, content and readership, they called Dave's bluff (not a bluff) on deleting their account.

I wonder if they didn't realise who Dave was... 

FluffyKittenofT... | 4 years ago
6 likes

I assume the OP has a motiivation that they are not being honest about.  I don't know what the real source of bitterness is but who on earth would bother to start such an argument based solely on the generic (bordering-on-meaningless) complaints in the OP?

You could post an analogous complaint on a million different sites, but unless you had some other gripe that you weren't admitting to, why would you bother?

Drinfinity | 4 years ago
4 likes

Maybe redrobot is a student’s machine learning project, released into the wilds of this forum (ok maybe not wilds, maybe light undergrowth) to develop new trolling skills. If it starts to pop up with rambling opinions on helmets before concluding that no-one is allowed an 11 tooth sprocket, then the student gets their degree.

I think it may have reused the grammar algorithm from a Minecraft trollbot.

Mungecrundle | 4 years ago
3 likes

Many years ago I frequented a motorcycling forum that had an irritating troll (not me, honest). Eventually the regulars gave up playing nice and told him to feck off and start his own site if he didn't like things. So he did and set up a laughably amateur website that grew, became increasingly popular and he ended making a considerable chunk of change from his efforts.

Save the ban hammer for the grossly abusive, not the wantonly annoying.

ConcordeCX | 4 years ago
4 likes

« this site is basically... »
So what? We’re all adults, if we want to come here it’s up to us

hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
5 likes

I think you're missing the subtle sub-texts hidden in the lengthy arguments for and against helmets, which is really just a proxy for arguing about how much we want to follow a leader versus forging our own destiny.

If you don't read between the lines, then you're just consuming propaganda.

Simon E replied to hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
3 likes

hawkinspeter wrote:

I think you're missing the subtle sub-texts hidden in the lengthy arguments for and against helmets, which is really just a proxy for arguing about how much we want to follow a leader versus forging our own destiny.

If you don't read between the lines, then you're just consuming propaganda.

Subtle sub-texts???

You can't be talking about me, I don't do subtle, particularly not in helmet debates.  3

But I really like your 'follow vs forging' description.

simonmb | 4 years ago
8 likes

road.cc has been part of my cycling world for the past ten years. During that period I've been on (and subsequently off) a number of other cycling websites, but I always keep coming back here. 

I don't come back here for breaking news, I don't come back here for incisive and data-driven tests of bikes, tyres, and equipment. I come back because it's a bit of real-world cycling shite (in a good way) with a bit of (mostly) well-meaning banter thrown in.

To me, every time I open the site, it's like walking into a favourite café filled with familiar faces. Some I like, some I don't. Some are knowledgable, some spout nothing but bullshit. But it's real, and doesn't try to be anything other than what it is.

If I didn't like it, I'd quietly move on somewhere else in the same way as if I didn't like a café I'd walked into.

I can't see the sense in standing up and complaining about the coffee or the customers. Where's that going to get you @redrobot? Find a new café, or open one of your own.

A final note to @redrobot: when you're paying for something, you buy the right to complain. What has road.cc ever cost you? 

redrobot replied to simonmb | 4 years ago
2 likes

simonmb wrote:

A final note to @redrobot: when you're paying for something, you buy the right to complain. What has road.cc ever cost you? 

right to complain costs money??? do you need me to explain to you how crass that argument is?

OldRidgeback replied to simonmb | 4 years ago
3 likes

simonmb wrote:

road.cc has been part of my cycling world for the past ten years. During that period I've been on (and subsequently off) a number of other cycling websites, but I always keep coming back here. 

I don't come back here for breaking news, I don't come back here for incisive and data-driven tests of bikes, tyres, and equipment. I come back because it's a bit of real-world cycling shite (in a good way) with a bit of (mostly) well-meaning banter thrown in.

To me, every time I open the site, it's like walking into a favourite café filled with familiar faces. Some I like, some I don't. Some are knowledgable, some spout nothing but bullshit. But it's real, and doesn't try to be anything other than what it is.

If I didn't like it, I'd quietly move on somewhere else in the same way as if I didn't like a café I'd walked into.

I can't see the sense in standing up and complaining about the coffee or the customers. Where's that going to get you @redrobot? Find a new café, or open one of your own.

Seconded - I post regularly on this site. I've been on other cycling (and motorcycling) websites and this is the one I keep coming back to as well. I like it the way it is thanks. The banter, the regulars, the (ongoing) helmet debate all help to make this site what it is.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

fukawitribe replied to OldRidgeback | 4 years ago
1 like

OldRidgeback wrote:

The banter, the regulars, the (ongoing) helmet debate all help to make this site what it is.

Alas I fear you're right ....     3

srchar replied to OldRidgeback | 4 years ago
1 like

OldRidgeback wrote:

the (ongoing) helmet debate

The science is settled  1

peted76 | 4 years ago
8 likes

I just think that your 20 post contribution on this site is not actually doing you or anyone reading the site any good, but hey, it's'up to you boss, you carry on shouting into the clouds.

But wouldn't it feel better to just get out there and ride your bike as opposed to talking about coco island domain names and making up stats. 

redrobot | 4 years ago
0 likes

the world is full of people who dont like constructive criticism. they are vain and proud enough to think i'm insulting them

alansmurphy replied to redrobot | 4 years ago
7 likes

redrobot wrote:

the world is full of people who dont like constructive criticism. they are vain and proud enough to think i'm insulting them

Sorry, I seem to have missed the constructive criticism. Red, you are a twat. 

FluffyKittenofT... replied to redrobot | 4 years ago
6 likes

redrobot wrote:

I don't think you know what the word 'constructive' means.

Drinfinity | 4 years ago
11 likes

Redrobot, do you ever find yourself walking into a pub for the first time, pontificating loudly about how you don’t like the decor, the beer, the menu layout, the people drinking there, the elitism of ale drinkers in general, and then ask for help to get your car started? How does that go down?

peted76 | 4 years ago
4 likes

@redrobot, you sir or madame, are typing shite. Go ride your bike.

luiandlui replied to peted76 | 4 years ago
5 likes

peted76 wrote:

@redrobot, you sir or madame, are typing shite. Go ride your bike.

He (or she) would, if he (or she) had one. Which he (or she) doesn't.

ktache | 4 years ago
7 likes

At least your made up statistics add up to 100.

I like it here.

brooksby | 4 years ago
7 likes

Quote:

take out the adverts and the advertorial and the news lifted from the net and you have a video of a near miss and a forum.

Do that to sites like the DM and you'd be left with a photo of some Z-list starlet with her top off.

But I digress.

I disagree.  I like the news on road.cc and even some of the so-called advertorial.

Yes, some of it is scraped from other news sites, but its all in one place.  I don't have my own AI to run around the intreweb and hoover up relevant news for me, so Dave and the team will do just as well!  yes

redrobot replied to brooksby | 4 years ago
0 likes

brooksby wrote:

I disagree.  I like the news on road.cc and even some of the so-called advertorial.

Yes, some of it is scraped from other news sites, but its all in one place.  I don't have my own AI to run around the intreweb and hoover up relevant news for me, so Dave and the team will do just as well! 

the thing about advertorial is that it masquerades as news when it's really a sales pitch. the thing about repeating news from other sources means yre not writing news yrself. that's not journalism. it's the job of a filing clerk. road.cc is 75% adverts, 20% stolen news and 5% forum / near miss videos 

rhetoric ...

it's not 'so-called' advertorial. it *is* advertorial. look it up.

'some of it is scraped from other news sites'. not 'some', most / not 'scraped', trawled

brooksby replied to redrobot | 4 years ago
1 like

redrobot wrote:

brooksby wrote:

Yes, some of it is scraped from other news sites, but its all in one place.  I don't have my own AI to run around the intreweb and hoover up relevant news for me, so Dave and the team will do just as well! 

the thing about advertorial is that it masquerades as news when it's really a sales pitch. the thing about repeating news from other sources means yre not writing news yrself. that's not journalism. it's the job of a filing clerk. road.cc is 75% adverts, 20% stolen news and 5% forum / near miss videos 

rhetoric ...

it's not 'so-called' advertorial. it *is* advertorial. look it up.

'some of it is scraped from other news sites'. not 'some', most / not 'scraped', trawled

no 

Daveyraveygravey | 4 years ago
5 likes

No extra reason needed, the OP already has supplied enough 

Pages

Latest Comments