Home

 

Having had a local bike shop butcher a job on my best bike (removed links from chain rather than look at cable / derailleur spring issue) I need a new chain and rear casette for my best bike. It's a 10 Speed shimano 105 and I would like an 11-30 / 11-32 cassette on the rear. Should I go for the tiagra 10sp at around £25 or pay a tenner more for the 105?

 

Also, any recommendations on a 10 speed chain?

 

Thanks

11 comments

Avatar
mike the bike [1203 posts] 1 week ago
2 likes

 

For what it's worth I am a confirmed skinflint, ever reluctant to spend my hard-earned cash, but hey, this is your best bike you're talking about here.  Best bikes always demand respect and you should cough up the readies without complaint and buy the best.

And know what?  You will feel better for it.  The gears will snick sweetly, the bike will be at least 20g lighter and the sun will permanently shine.

Avatar
hawkinspeter [3597 posts] 1 week ago
0 likes

I'm a fan of the KMC range, myself.

Approx £20: https://www.wiggle.co.uk/kmc-x10-chain/

Approx £30: https://www.wiggle.co.uk/kmc-x10-el-gold-10-speed-chain/

Approx £40: https://www.wiggle.co.uk/kmc-x10-sl-silver-10-speed-chain/

To be honest, if you're asking, then you should go for the cheapest as you're unlikely to notice the weight difference. If you truly love your bike, however, then you'll happily spend more.

Actually, maybe your bike deserves one of these: https://www.wiggle.co.uk/kmc-dlc10-chain/

Avatar
ktache [1568 posts] 1 week ago
0 likes

HP, do you follow the KMC advice and not use a solvent/brush cleaner?

Avatar
hawkinspeter [3597 posts] 1 week ago
1 like
ktache wrote:

HP, do you follow the KMC advice and not use a solvent/brush cleaner?

Nope. I try not to use any oil/grease on my chains, but when they get dirty I'll happily spray a load of chain cleaner on them and/or isopropyl alcohol. I've also put them in an ultrasonic cleaner with loads of degreaser before putting wax onto them.

I haven't used brush cleaners though as I don't find them very effective - dirt gets on the brushes and then you've got dirty brushes. Wet-wipes and/or old washing up sponges are my weapons of choice.

Avatar
Xenophon2 [40 posts] 1 week ago
0 likes
hawkinspeter wrote:

Nope. I try not to use any oil/grease on my chains, but when they get dirty I'll happily spray a load of chain cleaner on them and/or isopropyl alcohol. I've also put them in an ultrasonic cleaner with loads of degreaser before putting wax onto them.

I haven't used brush cleaners though as I don't find them very effective - dirt gets on the brushes and then you've got dirty brushes. Wet-wipes and/or old washing up sponges are my weapons of choice.

Out of curiosity:  how many miles between wax applications on your bike?  I like wax for its cleanliness (am anal about a spotless drivetrain) and it works like a charm during dry summers but I ride every day and in winter, with grit, water, road salt... it's just too heavy on the maintenance, I needed to clean and re-apply at least every other day (ride 25 miles/day), that's simply not realistic for me.  I got rid of my Finish Line wet lube though, it's a dirt magnet.  Use Green Oil now, less dirt but it dries to a gunky, sticky mess and I absolutely need my ultrasonic cleaner to get it all off.

 

For the OP:  I'm partial to KMC chains (have their 11 sp EL titanium nitride coated chain on one bike now) but I also like chains from Connex (formerly Wippermann).  Their removable links are the easiest in use imo.  I consider every Euro on quality and preventative maintenance money well spent.

Avatar
hawkinspeter [3597 posts] 1 week ago
0 likes
Xenophon2 wrote:
hawkinspeter wrote:

Nope. I try not to use any oil/grease on my chains, but when they get dirty I'll happily spray a load of chain cleaner on them and/or isopropyl alcohol. I've also put them in an ultrasonic cleaner with loads of degreaser before putting wax onto them.

I haven't used brush cleaners though as I don't find them very effective - dirt gets on the brushes and then you've got dirty brushes. Wet-wipes and/or old washing up sponges are my weapons of choice.

Out of curiosity:  how many miles between wax applications on your bike?  I like wax for its cleanliness (am anal about a spotless drivetrain) and it works like a charm during dry summers but I ride every day and in winter, with grit, water, road salt... it's just too heavy on the maintenance, I needed to clean and re-apply at least every other day (ride 25 miles/day), that's simply not realistic for me.  I got rid of my Finish Line wet lube though, it's a dirt magnet.  Use Green Oil now, less dirt but it dries to a gunky, sticky mess and I absolutely need my ultrasonic cleaner to get it all off.

 

For the OP:  I'm partial to KMC chains (have their 11 sp EL titanium nitride coated chain on one bike now) but I also like chains from Connex (formerly Wippermann).  Their removable links are the easiest in use imo.  I consider every Euro on quality and preventative maintenance money well spent.

I've actually given up on the old stove-top wax application as it was a bit of faff and only lasted about 100 miles or so before needing to be "topped" up with a wax-based lube like Squirt.

I've now switched to using DryFluid (https://www.dry-fluids.com/dryfluid-bike-2.html) which is a slide lubricant (similar to how I used to put graphite into the paraffin wax) and doesn't attract dirt like oil/grease does (chain still picks up a bit of dirt though). It's quite expensive though, especially after factoring in delivery charges.

P.S. I have also re-used the 11-speed KMC links many times without  any issues, but I also carry a spare pair just in case.

P.P.S. The only time I used a Shimano chain (10-speed Ultegra as I recall) I had a side plate snap(!) so I switched to KMC. I think I'd put it on correctly, but it's possible that I did it wrong as the Shimano chains have a specific direction to fit correctly.

P.P.P.S. With applying wax, I believe it lasts longer if you thoroughly degrease the chain first so that the wax can adhere to the clean metal. That may be why you're only getting 50 miles or so. Topping up with a wax lubricant helps as well.

Avatar
Podc [135 posts] 1 week ago
0 likes

I couldn't find an n-30 10 speed cassette in Tiagra or 105 series and wasn't sure my derailleur could accomodate a 32. Ended up going 12-30 Ultegra. Not the cheapest option  2

And another vote for KMC chains  1

Avatar
Simon E [3738 posts] 1 week ago
0 likes

KMC X10-93 works just as well as the more expensive options. I buy mine from Hopkinson Cycles (a real shop) on ebay for £11 including the quicklink.

Tiagra HG500 12-28 is £20 at Sigma Sport and £23 at Tredz. Both also list 11-32 but not 12-30. IMHO 12-28 has a nicer spread of ratios than 11-32. Could you live without the extra 2 teeth? If not then someone is selling one on ebay for £22.

Ultegra 12-30 is £55 on ebay. Ouch! As with chains, the lighter cassette doesn't work any better.

Avatar
alansmurphy [2193 posts] 1 week ago
0 likes

Thanks all.

 

The Tiagra cassette had caught the eye at around £25 and the weight isn't an issue as I carry a little spare myself  1 I wouldn't mind the 12 rather than 11 teeth but struggle on a 25%+ hill with 26/28 on the back, but with having that at the moment do like the narrower shifts.

 

The Tiagra cassette mentions a narrow chain so just need to be sure the KMC delivers, I'm sure it will, it's probably just that this is the first line of Tiagra 10sp so they're moving people away from the 7/8/9sp chains.

 

Ooooh the wax debate, so how do I keep these new bits silver and shiny, stay away from Muc Off summer lube?

Avatar
Simon E [3738 posts] 1 week ago
0 likes
alansmurphy wrote:

The Tiagra cassette mentions a narrow chain so just need to be sure the KMC delivers, I'm sure it will, it's probably just that this is the first line of Tiagra 10sp so they're moving people away from the 7/8/9sp chains.

"Narrow" and "Super narrow" are just Shimano descriptors and do not identify compatibility so I'd ignore them.

Chains: 6/7/8 speed are all the same width, 9 speed is narrower, 10 speed narrower again and 11 or 12 speed narrower still.

For 10 speed drivetrain (that's 4600 / 4700 Tiagra, 5600 / 5700 105 or 6700 Ultegra) KMC X10 or SRAM PC10xx chains are the ones to use.

With a 10 speed casseette you need a spacer on the freehub - IIRC on an 8/9/10 speed freehub add the thin (1mm) spacer that comes with the cassette; to fit 10speed on an 11 speed freehub fit the wider one as well.

Avatar
alansmurphy [2193 posts] 1 week ago
0 likes

Thanks Simon!