Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Criterium du Dauphine

The Tour de France warm up event is upon is! Still 3 days to go and 7 teams are yet to finalise their rosters, so sit tight for EF Education First, Katusha, FDJ, Lotto Soudal, Arkea, Vital, and Cofidis.

This race is a difficult one to call. Two medium mountains days to kick off, two flat days follow with an ITT sandwiched in the middle, and then two high mountains days with a summit finish sandwiched in the middle finish the race off.

Very few pure sprinters are heading to this one, but a hat full of stage hunters and GC men are in attendance.

Good luck!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

49 comments

Dr Winston | 4 years ago
0 likes

Adam Yates abandons.

MinardiM189 replied to Dr Winston | 4 years ago
0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

Adam Yates abandons.

I didn't notice.

Fell asleep waiting for something to happen.

Dr Winston replied to MinardiM189 | 4 years ago
0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

Adam Yates abandons.

I didn't notice.

Fell asleep waiting for something to happen.

Ruined the race really. Not often 10sec bonus could be a winner for a tour on the last day but today was one such time. I have no doubt at all that MS would have tried for the stage win. He was known to be ill before kick off  apparently.

Gecko-cyclist | 4 years ago
0 likes

Definitely a better day to be watching than riding - I wonder how they recover for today?

All the wrong picks for me yesterday. No Fuglsang or Buchmann looks shocking in hindsight. Looking at the teams around me I think I may have quite brilliantly snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. Very close though, It could be an exciting day!

Dr Winston replied to Gecko-cyclist | 4 years ago
0 likes

Gecko-cyclist wrote:

Definitely a better day to be watching than riding - I wonder how they recover for today? All the wrong picks for me yesterday. No Fuglsang or Buchmann looks shocking in hindsight. Looking at the teams around me I think I may have quite brilliantly snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. Very close though, It could be an exciting day!

Dunno. I was amazed to see Alaphillipe going again. Fully expected an easier day from him yesterday and today to be his next big ride....seems to be out there every single day....

Dr Winston | 4 years ago
0 likes

Fantastic day today..very dramatic, including the weather...Eurosport app coming up trumps on Amazon prime with live coverage was a great bonus after they shelved it on their main channels.

Buchmann showing once again just how dependable he is in our teams...seldom wins but seldom let’s us down...I just need to remember to pick him. Quintana...mmmm...

stevemarks | 4 years ago
0 likes

Stuck with Tuens EBH and Pollit as all possible breakaway men.

That leaves me just 2 transfers when I take them out tomorrow WVA is the big imponderable how is he going to get on in the mountains what will we learn about him?

Dr Winston replied to stevemarks | 4 years ago
0 likes

stevemarks wrote:

That leaves me just 2 transfers when I take them out tomorrow WVA is the big imponderable how is he going to get on in the mountains what will we learn about him?

I thought we’d have a much bigger break than just the three. It’s a stage made for it and at a time in the race that’s made for it. Looks like they’re letting the three go to the end unopposed....

Gecko-cyclist replied to stevemarks | 4 years ago
0 likes

stevemarks wrote:

Similar plan for me today leaving pretty much as is, to cover the early or late break scenarios - My only swap was Sam Bennett out for Alaphillipe.  My team today:

Alaphilippe

Cort

Yates

Politt

Van Aert

Perdersen

Eddy Boss

Van Garderen

I'm not sure how Van Aert will survive the next few days either but he has made a lot of the fact that he weighs 78kg so its impossible for him to compete.  Given he's effectively carrying a bag of cement uphill compared to a lightweight climber I can see his point but I think he is surprising himself and redefining all his limits at the moment.

From a team point of view I haven't rushed to change him yet.  I've still got to look at the points on offer but he has a decent enough lead in the points jersey to keep him motivated to score to the end.  Maybe enough of a lead to keep his score ticking over in the young riders competition too even if he loses it to Labrecht or Gaudu who are waiting in the wings?  

I've 6 transfers and 2/3 climbers already in play so not such a problem to me to swap him out.  I'm not sure how Alaphillpe will play it after today though so it could be him that goes and WVA that stays - decisions, decisions.... 

stevemarks replied to Gecko-cyclist | 4 years ago
0 likes

Gecko-cyclist wrote:

stevemarks wrote:

Similar plan for me today leaving pretty much as is, to cover the early or late break scenarios - My only swap was Sam Bennett out for Alaphillipe.  My team today:

Alaphilippe

Cort

Yates

Politt

Van Aert

Perdersen

Eddy Boss

Van Garderen

I'm not sure how Van Aert will survive the next few days either but he has made a lot of the fact that he weighs 78kg so its impossible for him to compete.  Given he's effectively carrying a bag of cement uphill compared to a lightweight climber I can see his point but I think he is surprising himself and redefining all his limits at the moment.

From a team point of view I haven't rushed to change him yet.  I've still got to look at the points on offer but he has a decent enough lead in the points jersey to keep him motivated to score to the end.  Maybe enough of a lead to keep his score ticking over in the young riders competition too even if he loses it to Labrecht or Gaudu who are waiting in the wings?  

I've 6 transfers and 2/3 climbers already in play so not such a problem to me to swap him out.  I'm not sure how Alaphillpe will play it after today though so it could be him that goes and WVA that stays - decisions, decisions.... 

Changed my mind a few times between Alla and tayes but needed two transfers for Alla and that was just too expensive although doesn't look that way now.

stevemarks replied to stevemarks | 4 years ago
0 likes

stevemarks wrote:

Gecko-cyclist wrote:

stevemarks wrote:

Alaphilippe

Cort

Yates

Politt

Van Aert

Perdersen

Eddy Boss

Van Garderen

Changed my mind a few times between Alla and tayes but needed two transfers for Alla and that was just too expensive although doesn't look that way now.

Congratulations Gecko-cyclist.

That was a tough competition to work out.

I think the difference was Alaphilippe we both took him out for Froome but you had the guts (and foresight) to put him back in.

Gecko-cyclist replied to stevemarks | 4 years ago
0 likes
stevemarks wrote:

stevemarks wrote:

Gecko-cyclist wrote:

stevemarks wrote:

Alaphilippe

Cort

Yates

Politt

Van Aert

Perdersen

Eddy Boss

Van Garderen

Congratulations Gecko-cyclist.

That was a tough competition to work out.

I think the difference was Alaphilippe we both took him out for Froome but you had the guts (and foresight) to put him back in.

Thanks Steve

Dr Winston | 4 years ago
0 likes

I don't understand Ineos today...Protecting Poels 11th position is not really the stuff of dreams...surely they have a least a smidgen of ambition to win a stage...

0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

I don't understand Ineos today...Protecting Poels 11th position is not really the stuff of dreams...surely they have a least a smidgen of ambition to win a stage...

They aren't interested in stage wins, if thhey were Kwiatowski wouldn't have had to sacrifice himself on Stage2. He could have a chance tomorrow but I think he will work for Poels.

Poels could get a top5 in GC, so that is probably their current target.

Personally I think Kwiatowski is wasting his career, he is winning less one day races than when he was at QS and has no chance of being a GC rider except in small races.

0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

They aren't interested in stage wins, if thhey were Kwiatowski wouldn't have had to sacrifice himself on Stage2. He could have a chance tomorrow but I think he will work for Poels.

Poels could get a top5 in GC, so that is probably their current target.

Personally I think Kwiatowski is wasting his career, he is winning less one day races than when he was at QS and has no chance of being a GC rider except in small races.

I agree...total waste. I couldn't decide whether to keep him in the hope he may try and jump the race with the likes of Gilbert  or swap him out for Hodeg....In the end I decided if he played out today then he would likely play out tomorrow...but obviously Ineos have other ideas. Kwia should be competing with the likes of Ala and Gilbert on days like today and a firm favourite with Ala on days like tomorrow.  Not that Hodeg would have been any better. I understand protecting Froome for a tour victory but surely when Poels is only 11th on a stage that would be relatively easy to roll in with they could let Kwia stretch his legs....

0 likes

I subbed out alaphillpe for froome too, partly to free up budget for other transfers and let me change the shape of my team for the coming stages.

I actually swapped van aert in yhough as a) he looked a dead cert to keep his jerseys. b) He strengthened the team for tomorrow. c) Lotto were keen to take him to the tour to improve their TTT squad even though the best he'd recorded was 6th on the Belgian nationals. Given the engines they have at their disposal already I thought it a fair bet he must have improved on the TT bike a lot and he could challenge for top 5 with his current form. Him pulling off the win was a stroke of pure luck for me - I hope it continues!

JAndrewHill | 4 years ago
0 likes

Thinking my decision to sub Alaphillipe for Froome was not the best...

Dr Winston replied to JAndrewHill | 4 years ago
0 likes

JAndrewHill wrote:

Well an awful lot of others would have done the same. With Dumoulin of uncertain form and Alaphillipe  likely to be lead out man again tomorrow then I think Alla > Froome would have been a big transfer.

JAndrewHill replied to Dr Winston | 4 years ago
0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

JAndrewHill wrote:

Well an awful lot of others would have done the same. With Dumoulin of uncertain form and Alaphillipe  likely to be lead out man again tomorrow then I think Alla > Froome would have been a big transfer.

And subbing out Van Aert for Guillaume Martin proves that it is not my week

Dr Winston replied to JAndrewHill | 4 years ago
0 likes

JAndrewHill wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

JAndrewHill wrote:

And subbing out Van Aert for Guillaume Martin proves that it is not my week

i subbed him out before the sprint stage...oops...tbh he’s a great rider who has really turned it up for these past two stages. Maybe the sprint stage had a lot to do with most of the sprinters not turning up...it was strange finish for sure that was almost given to Bennett...Today was exceptional.

MinardiM189 | 4 years ago
0 likes

with another probable sprint stage tomorrow I only made 1 transfer

brought Froome in for Impey  no

0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

Big day for you tomorrow.

0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

MinardiM189 wrote:

All depends if some of the sprinters show up. Greipel was dreadful again on Tuesday, as was Manzin. I don't expect Ballerini to do as well again either.

Van Aert will probably top3 again tomorrow but I can't use up another transfer with 3 mountain stages coming up.

0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

MinardiM189 wrote:

All depends if some of the sprinters show up. Greipel was dreadful again on Tuesday, as was Manzin. I don't expect Ballerini to do as well again either.

Van Aert will probably top3 again tomorrow but I can't use up another transfer with 3 mountain stages coming up.

I’ve made a bllx of this one again Minardi but I think my general plan was right. The riders are so expensive that you won’t be able to field a decent full squad at the end....six riders at most...so to that end I think you could spare the transfer now because your funds look too spread out. ...so that’s to say at some point you may have to bring another 3.0 in anyway...which effectively is a wasted transfer just to rebalance. Looking at the way the money needs to be there’s not much below 20.0...Van Aert and Lambrecht the best as far as I can see.

Do you think Van Aert manages stage six?...I can’t decide...he seems to have decided he’s now a world class sprinter as well as a world class time trialist...he may as well become a climber now as well...what do you think about stage six and him?

Also...what about Kwai....what do you think was going on there?....

stevemarks replied to Dr Winston | 4 years ago
0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

MinardiM189 wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

MinardiM189 wrote:

I’ve made a bllx of this one again Minardi but I think my general plan was right. The riders are so expensive that you won’t be able to field a decent full squad at the end....six riders at most...so to that end I think you could spare the transfer now because your funds look too spread out. ...so that’s to say at some point you may have to bring another 3.0 in anyway...which effectively is a wasted transfer just to rebalance. Looking at the way the money needs to be there’s not much below 20.0...Van Aert and Lambrecht the best as far as I can see.

Do you think Van Aert manages stage six?...I can’t decide...he seems to have decided he’s now a world class sprinter as well as a world class time trialist...he may as well become a climber now as well...what do you think about stage six and him?

Also...what about Kwai....what do you think was going on there?....

Kwia was maybe in shock? can't be easy. Van Aert we should probably just wait and see how he gets on the last three days I may leave him in for stage six and reassess afterwards. I'm looking closely at Buchmann now, he's flown under the radar a bit here, (well at least mine) and I'm starting to believe he is a real contender both here and in the Tour. Again those three stage will tell us a lot more but 200/1 for the Tour? I had to have a piece of that and 20/1 here too. Each way as I don't think he can top the podium but a place has to be a possibility.

MinardiM189 replied to stevemarks | 4 years ago
0 likes

stevemarks wrote:

Kwia was maybe in shock? can't be easy. Van Aert we should probably just wait and see how he gets on the last three days I may leave him in for stage six and reassess afterwards. I'm looking closely at Buchmann now, he's flown under the radar a bit here, (well at least mine) and I'm starting to believe he is a real contender both here and in the Tour. Again those three stage will tell us a lot more but 200/1 for the Tour? I had to have a piece of that and 20/1 here too. Each way as I don't think he can top the podium but a place has to be a possibility.

Van Aert struggled to keep the white jersey on stage2 so I can't see him being there at the finish in Stage 6.

We saw how good Buchmann is in Itzulia.

When the top climbers go fo it he gets left behind.

On reflection the ITT results weren't that surprising, Dumoulin isn't anywhere near his best after his  Giro crash. Van Aert has done some competitive ITTs in the past and should be expected to improve a lot now he is with a top team. The other riders were pretty much as expected. A fit Dumoulin would probably have won by 20s or so.

Condor Andy | 4 years ago
0 likes

Apparently, several sources are stating Froome might have broken his leg/pelvis.

I got Kwiato in, and he's not going for it.

stevemarks replied to Condor Andy | 4 years ago
0 likes

Condor Andy wrote:

Apparently, several sources are stating Froome might have broken his leg/pelvis.

I got Kwiato in, and he's not going for it.

Only wanted to use 3 transfers Froome and Pollit were my certanties and I prevaricated extensively between Kwia and Fuglsang.....so much so I coudn't remember which way I went, Fuglsang won out apparently but says a lot about me that I couldn't recall.

0 likes

Hmmm

Not the first time he's had problems in a TT and you wonder if he'll rue not including any earlier in his race programme this year? 

Hopefully he'll recover in time for the tour or Brailsfords endorsement of him going for a 5th this morning was unbelievably bad timing....

I thought Kwia would soft pedal and left him out in favour of Froome and Dumoulin - If the latter doesn't get it right for the first time this year it could be a low scoring stage for many?  

It looks like this race is wide open for the climbers now Froome, Kwia and Dumoulin are out of the GC picture though - let the fireworks commence!    

Condor Andy | 4 years ago
0 likes

Froome DNS, crashed in his recon and gone to hospital.

Pages

Latest Comments