Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Topeak Rack Qs

Hi, Does anyone have experience with Topeak racks and bags?  I'm looking to get the MTX TRUNKBAG DXP bag with one of the following racks.  I have a hybrid bike with disc brakes, so I'm looking at disc brake model racks.

There's a lot of choice in Topeak racks, so I'm reaching out to anyone who has experience with them.  

Considerations:

The DX models have a seperate bar for panniers, but I'm not looking to get full on panniers atm as the trunk bag comes with saddle bags that fold up when not needed.  Do the bars on the DX models have any other use?

The "UNI" models have adjustable legs which seems like a good option as I'd like to set the legs lower as I've heard a lower center of gravity of better for bike stability.

I'm also little concerned with the saddles bags either fouling with the wheels or interfering with peddling.  Anyone have experience with this?  

Also, Anyone have any experience with the spings on Topeak racks?

I'm open to suggestions as well  Thanks everyone!

UNI SUPER TOURIST DX (DISC)
https://www.topeak.com/global/en/products/mtb-&-700c-touring-racks/832-u...(disc)

UNI SUPER TOURIST (DISC)
https://www.topeak.com/global/en/products/mtb-&-700c-touring-racks/834-u...(disc)

SUPER TOURIST DX (DISC) (W/O SPRING)
https://www.topeak.com/global/en/products/mtb-&-700c-touring-racks/149-s...(disc)-(w-o-spring)

MTX TRUNKBAG DXP
https://www.topeak.com/global/en/products/rear-rack-bags/122-mtx-trunkba...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

CXR94Di2 | 4 years ago
0 likes

The bags hang beside the frame, there is a n elastic bungie cord to hold the bag against the frame- I assume to stop the bags swinging outwardly whilst cornering.

Thread lock/nylock nuts were belt and braces, so the bolts couldn't come undone. I bought stainless longer bolts and nuts, placed washers between all mating surfaces, applied copper grease to all threads. Some bolts I cut to give the perfect length/fit.

kovacsa | 4 years ago
0 likes

The bag has a lot of space.  How well do the fold out saddle bags work with the rack?  Do the DX bars get in the way of the saddle bags at all?

What do you mean by, " I used threadlock nuts and extra washers to space the rack off the frame."?  

CXR94Di2 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Slightly higher resolution
single photo

Roberts Clubman | 4 years ago
0 likes

I have used the Topeak DX racks and the MTX trunk bag on my commuting bikes for several years until recently. It is an easy system to use and has the advantage that if you don’t need to use either or both of the side panniers they fold out of the way entirely which I guess means less drag, but they  are there  if you need them. The panniers are surprisingly roomy as well. I have lugged all sorts of stuff in them. Unfortunately, all this came to an end recently when some low-life scum in a car grabbed the bag off my bike at some traffic lights. Amazingly, I didn’t realise until I got home and found it wasn’t on the bike. They must have grabbed the rear handle and waited till I accelerated  away , so that the bag just slid off the back of the bike. I only put two and two together when I thought it through later.  My contactless bank cards had been used within 20 mins of the bag being stolen. Fortunately, the amounts were small and my bank refunded them. The by-now-useless cards were found 10 miles away by a passer-by the next day. I will replace the bag when my insurers have settled the claim ( it’s covered on my house contents policy) but it’s a hassle, and I recommend fitting a second security device such as a carribeen between the bag and the rack to avoid it being slid off without you knowing. As far as centre of gravity is concerned, I would discount it entirely. You are much higher and heavier on the bike than the panniers. They don’t make much of a difference even heavily loaded.

CXR94Di2 | 4 years ago
1 like

I have the Topeak pannier rack and sliding trunk panniers on my Day One.  I think its well made and fitted easily to my bike.  Its true the fold away panniers are smaller than traditional but I dont use mine for touring but commuting type rides and the odd small shopping trip.  I do like the fold away idea, make the bike tidy and less bulky on the outward journey for shopping.  I can load up pictures later of mine if you want.    I used threadlock nuts and extra washers to space the rack off the frame.

kovacsa replied to CXR94Di2 | 4 years ago
0 likes
CXR94Di2 wrote:

I have the Topeak pannier rack and sliding trunk panniers on my Day One.  I think its well made and fitted easily to my bike.  Its true the fold away panniers are smaller than traditional but I dont use mine for touring but commuting type rides and the odd small shopping trip.  I do like the fold away idea, make the bike tidy and less bulky on the outward journey for shopping.  I can load up pictures later of mine if you want.    I used threadlock nuts and extra washers to space the rack off the frame.

Hi, If you have pics, that would be great!

CXR94Di2 replied to kovacsa | 4 years ago
1 like
kovacsa wrote:
CXR94Di2 wrote:

Hi, If you have pics, that would be great!

kovacsa | 4 years ago
0 likes

Hi, Thanks for the info.  A few ideas...

As for the adjustability, it would be nice to be able to have height options.  Also, the lower the rack can get, the better it is for stability and center of gravity as I undertand it.

I need the disc version, as the non-disc version only works when the brake caliper is in the triangle of the frame and NOT on top of the seat stay.

I'm sure of the trunk bag with the fold out saddle bag design.  It seems very practical.   For my purposes right now, I don't think I need heavy duty panniers.  

The MTX quick Trax design seems very practical, and Topeak is as a good brand.

LastBoyScout replied to kovacsa | 4 years ago
0 likes

kovacsa wrote:

I need the disc version, as the non-disc version only works when the brake caliper is in the triangle of the frame and NOT on top of the seat stay.

The MTX quick Trax design seems very practical, and Topeak is as a good brand.

I've found that this is not strictly true and depends on the rack, your bike and the brake caliper.

I have a Tortec Tour non-disc rack fitted on a bike with caliper on top of the seat stay and it clears the caliper - albeit not by much. I could add a couple of washers to give a bigger gap. The only annoyance is it's a fiddle to adjust the brake with the rack on and impossible with a multi-tool.

Tortec not much use to you if you want the quick track design, though.

pockstone | 4 years ago
1 like

Got one. (Super tourist DX Disc.)

Ask yourself, do you need adjustable height? Only if you want to swap between bikes with different wheel sizes I think.

Do you need the disc set up? I'm not sure that my disc configured rack is necessary to fit over my brakes.  (BB7s)

Do you need the  slide on trunk bag fixing? If you want to keep weight low, panniers would be better than a trunk bag.

The integral panniers on the Topeak bag are quite small if I recall. You always have to carry both of them, even if you only need to use one.

If you've got the panniers, will you use the trunk bag?

Lighter, cheaper (?) and more elegant racks are available, but as a system it seems quite well designed, and very solid. I'd only get one if you definitely want the slide-on bag and/or you're going to carry a heavy load.

Hope that's helpful.

Latest Comments