Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Which heart rate monitor?

Hi all, am looking to buy a HRM to use with my Garmin Edge, am quite open minded and given that there appears to be a large range of devices and prices would appreciate some user feedback on experience before purchasing.

Many thanks.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

dooderooni | 4 years ago
0 likes

Wahoo Tickr user here and the best thing I can say is that I don't notice that I'm wearing it. That for me is the biggest selling point.

fukawitribe | 4 years ago
0 likes

Another old Garmin user, current one I've had for 6 something years I think, well used, working fine just a few changes of battery. The plastic centre part is easy to wipe down and the strap goes in the wash every now and then. I'm happy, if/when it does l dies I would probably try a Coospo or Magene MHR10 - heard generally pretty positive feedback about both.

Anthony.C | 4 years ago
1 like

The old Garmin ones are very good, my first one lasted for years and years and they don't have any screws. I don't think they sell them anymore but I recently bought  another one on ebay (new) for about 15 quid. Bargain.

Grahamd | 4 years ago
0 likes

Many thanks for the input all, you”ve certainly steered me away from Garmin, will have a look into the Wahoo and CooSpo. 

peted76 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Been through two Garmin ones (or three thinking about it).. brought a Wahoo one the other month. It seems slightly better than the garmin one, comfier and easier to get on and off, plus it has little flashing lights on the front which make me feel a bit like a robot..

There's not much difference and not worth overthinking.

jacknorell | 4 years ago
1 like

Wahoo's Tickr has served me well for a few years now. Or as kiloran said the Polar strap should also work.

Rakkor | 4 years ago
0 likes

I had similar issues with the Garmin one, changing the batteries destroyed it, so I bought a no-name one from Amazon £25 - I bought this one which has worked perfectly since February.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CooSpo-Bluetooth-Runtastic-myETraining-concept2...

CasperCCC replied to Rakkor | 4 years ago
0 likes

Rakkor wrote:

I had similar issues with the Garmin one, changing the batteries destroyed it, so I bought a no-name one from Amazon £25 - I bought this one which has worked perfectly since February.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CooSpo-Bluetooth-Runtastic-myETraining-concept2...

I've got exactly the same one as that, and it works absolutely fine. 

(I've been through two Garmin straps. Battery changes were fine - but they both died on me eventually. I wouldn't buy another. They go for a premium price, so I'd expect them to last a lot better.)

kil0ran | 4 years ago
0 likes

Schosche Rhythm+ (or 24) - wear it on your upper arm just under your jersey sleeve. Super-comfy, very adjustable strap, and you get all the benefits of optical HR without wristband - which don't always work that well for cycling. Works well with both my Edge devices (25 & 130). Currently on sale at Halfords of all places for £60

There's a good DC Rainmaker shootout here

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/04/optical-heart-rate-sensor-armband-sh...

(FWIW he's recommended the Scosche for years, but has changed allegiance to the new Polar strap in this latest review)

EddyBerckx | 4 years ago
0 likes

I've had a couple of the Garmin ones...all good until the batteries need changing then the tiny, tiny bolt heads turn into warm butter and it becomes impossible to get the cover off. Meh.

Switched to the wahoo one, no problems with that!

Latest Comments