Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Bike purchase advice please

Hey all,

I have been looking to upgrade my first cheap b’twin road bike. Looking at a 2018 Roubaix Sport at £1400 or a Defy Advanced 3 2019. 

The roubaix has mechanical discs with 105. The defy has tiagra with hydraulic discs. 

Is a better groupset a better place to put money or brakes?

Thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

2Loose | 4 years ago
0 likes

Get the Defy Advanced 3, the carbon frame is the same up the range and is very good indeed (I have the 2). Compared to my older Alu Defy it is much better at smoothing out the roughness on the roads and that is better than many in its price range.

2Loose | 4 years ago
0 likes

Get the Defy Advanced 3, the carbon frame is the same up the range and is very good indeed (I have the 2). Compared to my older Alu Defy it is much better at smoothing out the roughness on the roads and that is better than many in its price range.

steverob55 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the comments so far. 

Slight curveball, for budget of £1500 would you go carbon or aluminium?

matthewn5 replied to steverob55 | 4 years ago
0 likes

steverob55 wrote:

If you're buying new, go for a top end alloy frame that will be worth a better groupset and wheels when you are feeling flush. It will ride much better than a low end carbon frame. Good alloy feels lively and sharp: cheap carbon just feels dull.

steverob55 replied to matthewn5 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Thanks

So currently looking at Giant Defy advanced 3 (so carbon) or Contend  Sl 1

on that basis which will be better buy?

matthewn5 wrote:

steverob55 wrote:

If you're buying new, go for a top end alloy frame that will be worth a better groupset and wheels when you are feeling flush. It will ride much better than a low end carbon frame. Good alloy feels lively and sharp: cheap carbon just feels dull.

Kieran0885 | 4 years ago
0 likes

The  hydraulic discs aren’t full hydraulic on the defy. It is a cable/hydraulic setup Giant call “Conduct brakes”. Means they can skimp out and fit full cable tiagra and add their own hydraulic system. It adds a junction box on the front of your stem (rather unsightly imo, put me off a defy). Just something to be aware of as they do advertise it as being hydraulic. You’re not getting exactly what you think. 

cdean replied to Kieran0885 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Kieran0885 wrote:

The  hydraulic discs aren’t full hydraulic on the defy. It is a cable/hydraulic setup Giant call “Conduct brakes”. Means they can skimp out and fit full cable tiagra and add their own hydraulic system. It adds a junction box on the front of your stem (rather unsightly imo, put me off a defy). Just something to be aware of as they do advertise it as being hydraulic. You’re not getting exactly what you think. 

The junction box is ugly, but it has a computer mount so you won't see it most of the time anyway if you have a bike computer. I have the 2017 model which was pre-junction box and the box is probably less ugly than the non-series RS-505 shifters on mine!

hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
5 likes

Tiagra with hydraulic discs as it's not usually easy to upgrade from mechanical to hydraulic. Tiagra is a really good groupset so it'll take a while before you find it lacking.

Latest Comments