Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

What bike would be a noticeable upgrade from a Racelight T2?

I know there are masses of more expensive bikes available, but the T2 is a pretty fun ride for its price, and great to throw around.

I've tried a few others (CAAD8, Tarmac, Ruby though too big, Dolce) but not really thought they were that much better.

Anyone found something they preferred to their T2?

Thanks.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

dottigirl | 4 years ago
0 likes

srchar wrote:

I have a T3, which is basically a T2 with a tapered headtube.  I don't think it can be beaten for the money.  I have other bikes that are "nicer" but none that I love as much as my T3.  I also keep looking at Masons and Fairlights, but then I realise that there's nothing really wrong with my T3, and decide to save the money or spend it on something else.

I think the questions you need to ask are:

"What's missing from my T2?"
"How much am I prepared to pay for it?"

I've always come up with "umm, nothing really", which answers the second question for me.

The latter is a great summary of where I'm getting to. 

I'm tempted to look out for a secondhand T3 or 4S, even though I promised myself I would get something different from a Kinesis this time! At least I won't have to muck around with press fit bbs. I had hoped to go back to normal instead of long drop brakes though.

Unfortunately, bespoke isn't practical as I don't have transport for fittings & collection.

srchar | 4 years ago
1 like

I have a T3, which is basically a T2 with a tapered headtube.  I don't think it can be beaten for the money.  I have other bikes that are "nicer" but none that I love as much as my T3.  I also keep looking at Masons and Fairlights, but then I realise that there's nothing really wrong with my T3, and decide to save the money or spend it on something else.

I think the questions you need to ask are:

"What's missing from my T2?"
"How much am I prepared to pay for it?"

I've always come up with "umm, nothing really", which answers the second question for me.

John_S | 4 years ago
1 like

Hi dottigirl,

I also love a good spreadsheet to help compare anything including bikes and I hope that it helps you to arrive at the right bike for you.

Reading about your frame size and geometry requirements I wondered if you've considered something bespoke.  If you know what geometry you want maybe you could get a frame builder to build to your exact requirements which might work better than off the shelf offerings.

I don't know where in the country you are but if you're anywhere near Bristol then there is the Bespoked UK Handbuilt Bikes show from the 3rd to 5th of May:-

http://www.bespoked.cc/

I haven't gone down this route myself and so I don't know if you'll find something within your budget but perhaps there are different frame builders to suit different budgets and frame requirements and worst case scenario even if you didn't find the bike that you wanted it would still be a good day out in Bristol looking at lots of bikes.

Good luck finding the right bike for you!

John

Woldsman | 4 years ago
1 like

What’s your budget, Dottigirl? 

I’ve been trying to justify spending more on a ‘winter bike’ (frameset) to push my T2 down the pecking order.  I have kept the original components and could swap them back on to the T2 and put the newer stuff on to another frameset. At least that was the plan.  

I hoped to get a 4S (non-disc) frameset, but I faffed for so long that I can no longer find a Diamond Black 51cm model. There are 4S Disc framesets out there - and you can use rim brakes on them, too - but they’re not cheap. 

dottigirl replied to Woldsman | 4 years ago
2 likes

Woldsman wrote:

What’s your budget, Dottigirl? 

I’ve been trying to justify spending more on a ‘winter bike’ (frameset) to push my T2 down the pecking order.  I have kept the original components and could swap them back on to the T2 and put the newer stuff on to another frameset. At least that was the plan.  

I hoped to get a 4S (non-disc) frameset, but I faffed for so long that I can no longer find a Diamond Black 51cm model. There are 4S Disc framesets out there - and you can use rim brakes on them, too - but they’re not cheap. 

I already have a trio of Kinesis mounts, so I was looking for something different this time. I have a full groupset and wheels ready to use,  or could move other kit around. They all need TLC atm too. 

I'm not sure about going for a disc build though as the good stuff is still pricey and to squeak would p me off in no time.

Budget for a frameset (used) around £600, I think. Maybe more if special. Carbon, Ti, or steel.

I was looking very hard at the Storcks on Bikezaar for some time. Would love a German Superb ikebana.  However, the geometry is probably far too aggressive for a 41yo with increasing joint problems.

dottigirl | 4 years ago
1 like

Thanks. The Strael is the bike James Hayden rides, isn't it? Probably out of my budget atm, and there aren't likely to be smaller sizes around secondhand. 

I've been looking at some Condors, but I don't know if they're going to be an upgrade.

Sniffer replied to dottigirl | 4 years ago
1 like

dottigirl wrote:

Thanks. The Strael is the bike James Hayden rides, isn't it? Probably out of my budget atm, and there aren't likely to be smaller sizes around secondhand. 

I've been looking at some Condors, but I don't know if they're going to be an upgrade.

Yes, Hayden has been riding a Strael.  Currently £899 for a Strael frameset, so it is a different market to a T2.  Smallest frame is 51, if I remember right your T2 is a pretty small frame.

Don’t have any experience with Condors I am afraid.

dottigirl replied to Sniffer | 4 years ago
2 likes

Sniffer wrote:

dottigirl wrote:

Yes, Hayden has been riding a Strael.  Currently £899 for a Strael frameset, so it is a different market to a T2.  Smallest frame is 51, if I remember right your T2 is a pretty small frame.

Don’t have any experience with Condors I am afraid.

Yep, 48cm is my 'normal' size.

I have an Excel spreadsheet into which I have entered many bike stats - it's past column AG. Eep. From looking at geometries of a lot of bikes, not many size down well. Some of the smaller bikes are so aggressive at 45-49cm, yet almost relaxed by the time they reach 54cm. The difference stack/reach ratio is startling.

I know I've ranted this before, but short people (usually women) have a really tough time finding bikes which fit and are sized down properly with smaller cranks and bars.

I've been burnt so many times before, I'm asking any seller to double-check measurements too. A scary amount of bikes out there are listed as the wrong size. I'm making it a policy to check head tube lengths against the geometry charts.

matthewn5 replied to dottigirl | 4 years ago
2 likes

dottigirl wrote:

I have an Excel spreadsheet into which I have entered many bike stats - it's past column AG. Eep.

So glad to hear I'm not the only one to have done this  3

Best way to compare various bikes!

dottigirl replied to matthewn5 | 4 years ago
0 likes

matthewn5 wrote:

dottigirl wrote:

I have an Excel spreadsheet into which I have entered many bike stats - it's past column AG. Eep.

So glad to hear I'm not the only one to have done this  3

Best way to compare various bikes!

Oh, yes.

I've also added in bar width, stem length & angle, and spacers above the head tube for every road bike I've ridden. That became very interesting.

Still not found something that grabs me though.

Sniffer | 4 years ago
3 likes

Until last year I was riding a Kinesis T2 as my winter bike and commuter with a Cannondale Supersix as my 'good' bike.

I then added a Fairlight Strael to the stable which used through the winter on club runs and weekend rides with the T2 being relegated to commuting duties.

The T2 is still a good bike and excellent value for money, but the Strael is a class above.  I definitely know the difference.  With room for 28s and mudguards, hydraulic disc brakes and more comfort it is more pleaurable to ride even through a grotty winter.

It is much more expensive, but it is better.  There is a review on this site and it appeared in a number of Road CCs Bike of the Year categories.

In saying that is fun to have the Supersix back out this month,

Latest Comments