Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

First Road Bike purchase

Hiya Folks,

I'm looking to get my first road bike and have been looking at the facebook marketplace for this. What bikes should I be looking for? Keep in mind that I am a student so am looking in the £100 - £200 price range. 

Additionally, I have found a Cube Peloton 2014 for sale for £190 which appears in good condition and I'm wondering whether people would think it's a good purchase for my first. I also intend to deliveroo on this bike in the city if that's information of any use.

Thanks!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

Boatsie | 4 years ago
1 like

2 month post. Maybe you found a bike?
Different continent yet here there's loads of smooth beautiful lightweight bikes between $100 $250 on gum tree.
No one seems to want them.. They remain advertised a while (an opinion).
I love them.. There was a free Avanti, that went quick, read to need a lube or something like that.
There's a carbon bike at $250.
Delivery use and gutter rolling needs, road bikes with v-brakes or cantilever brakes tend to allow slightly larger tyres. Really useful.
Bikes around early nineties are my preference.
They feel light, they're running gear is usually cheaper to service. They're just as easy to service. They're proper road bikes. Not gutter humping bump machines. Bikes with vbrakes, cantilevers will probably allow wider tyres to do such if that's part of the need.

Kieran0885 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Either carrera if you want new and it’s on offer or second bargains like that cube a plenty on eBay. If buying second hand and are going to be relying on it for deliveroo then a good checkover at a bike shop wouldn’t go amiss. 

mtbtomo | 4 years ago
0 likes

I've had a Viking drop bar single speed before now which was less than £200 new. Yes, the frame was cheap steel but the components worked better and stayed shiny, unlike a Trek single speed I replaced it with where the freehub failed within weeks and all the silver parts quickly got a layer of surface corrosion.

Simon E | 5 years ago
0 likes

For Deliveroo I'd want something cheap to run, ideally singlespeed or 8/16 speed gearing with as few things to go wrong/wear out as I could get away with.

If the Peloton is not stolen and doesn't need work doing then that sounds a good price. Otherwise maybe a Carrera or B'Twin, these are the cheapest half-decent road bikes. Below that you'll find BSOs seemingly made of lead and fitted with junk components that won't last more than 5 minutes of regular use.

CoffeeAddict replied to Simon E | 4 years ago
0 likes

Simon E wrote:

For Deliveroo I'd want something cheap to run, ideally singlespeed or 8/16 speed gearing with as few things to go wrong/wear out as I could get away with.

If the Peloton is not stolen and doesn't need work doing then that sounds a good price. Otherwise maybe a Carrera or B'Twin, these are the cheapest half-decent road bikes. Below that you'll find BSOs seemingly made of lead and fitted with junk components that won't last more than 5 minutes of regular use.

Another vote for B'Twin here. I'm a big fan of them (I have two) and you should be able to pick a second hand one up within your budget. 

Latest Comments