Home

With recent reductions on the price of an 820 I am thinking of upgrading from my 810.  Can someone let me konw how comprenhensive the maps are on a 820. When I got my 810 I added better maps on it using an Micro SD card and downloaded them from the web. I dont think there is a Micro SD slot in the 820 so are you limited to what is on the device.

Also any other feedback on the 820, I know there has been various comment about how responsive its touch screen is, has this been improved with firmware. Has anyone else moved from a 810 to 820 and would they recommend it.

6 comments

Redvee [438 posts] 2 months ago
1 like

Whilst the 820 doesn't have a microSD slot, it does have 16Gb of onboard memory for mapping and the screen sensitivity can be adjusted. When I first had mine I didn't change it until I had a ride in the rain and the rain was coming down hard onto the screen and changing settings as I rode along.

Anthony.C [278 posts] 2 months ago
0 likes

I was also considering the 820 but I think it would be more of a downgrade than an upgrade, at least for navigation if you already have decent maps. I tried the free maps you get with the 820 on my 800 and it takes ages for it to calculate a  course whereas city navigator takes just a few seconds. Also, I don't think the 820 does map prompts, only text prompts, unlike the 800 and other edges which automatically bring up the map at every turn. 

Anthony.C [278 posts] 2 months ago
0 likes

Now only £157.50 at Halfords, that's £141.75 with the BC discount.

I will very probably regret it but I couldn't resist a bargain. 

IRISHCLIFF [64 posts] 2 months ago
0 likes

Oh why did they go and do that, i had decided not to upgrade but now??

I do wonder if this means 840 is about to come out

Anthony.C wrote:

Now only £157.50 at Halfords, that's £141.75 with the BC discount.

I will very probably regret it but I couldn't resist a bargain. 

arckuk [101 posts] 2 months ago
0 likes

The 5k runner pointed a couple of days ago to a recent FCC filing that suggests the introduction of a new Edge device at this level, probably to replace the 820. A comment to the post seems to think this will be on the 24th June, although I couldn't work out why that was from a brief scan at the linked filing notice. See https://the5krunner.com/2019/03/25/garmin-edge-830-coros-apex-navigation...

cjluo [6 posts] 2 months ago
0 likes

Unavailability of MicroSD option will not be a big problem as it has 16GB of onboard storage which is just enough from my point of view. I am using 820 but never used 810. So I am not able to suggest you whether you should upgrade to 820 from 810 or not. Just sharing the fact about storage.