Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Adventure/gravel bike suggestions

I've been a commuter cyclist for many years and once a week during the warmer months do a 30mile each way commute. I have twin boys that are approaching 15 and want to do more cycling with me at the weekend. We all have mountain bikes but are looking to replace with adventure bikes as we are more interested in road and light trails (such as the downs link).

I'm looking for bike suggestions, bearing in mind my children are both still growing and could lose interest. Therefore not looking to spend too much, maybe £500 each, but don't want something so heavy/poor it will put them off. We've done 50 mile rides together before and would expect that to be towards the upper end of our typical rides.

All suggestions gratefully received,, especially if anyone has a secondhand one going!

Thanks in advance.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

pockstone | 5 years ago
0 likes

Good point Mattjg, although my rigid MTB is an old school steel Marin with triple chainring, so fairly well suited to a bit of loaded off/on road trundling. I'm about to make my Arkose even less road friendly (more off road friendly) by putting a 46 - 30 chainset on it. It'll be interesting to see how it goes on tarmac. I found the original gearing too hard going once I put bags on or hit anywhere steep or loose. 

One option for reasonably priced gravel bikes is GoOutdoors' Calibre dark peak. Got a good review on this site previously. It also has a square taper bottom bracket so should you wish to reduce chainring size, you can do so quickly and cheaply with something like an FSA tempo 46-30 or a double touring chainset from Spa Cycles. Arkose is great too if it's within budget, and improved since I got mine in 2014.

Have fun. I love the versatility of my gravel bike. 

pockstone | 5 years ago
0 likes

Or save a wad of cash and change your mountain bike tyres to something a bit more road/gravel friendly.  See how the children get on, or wait til they've stopped growing, and then think about new bikes. (Especially if you've got big wheels/lockout forks on the MTBs.)

I um and ah about using my gravel bike (Arkose with Schwalbe G-one bites) over my rigid MTB (26" with gravelly tyres), especially when the going gets steep or really rough/loaded up.

Mattjg01 replied to pockstone | 5 years ago
0 likes

pockstone wrote:

Or save a wad of cash and change your mountain bike tyres to something a bit more road/gravel friendly.  See how the children get on, or wait til they've stopped growing, and then think about new bikes. (Especially if you've got big wheels/lockout forks on the MTBs.)

I um and ah about using my gravel bike (Arkose with Schwalbe G-one bites) over my rigid MTB (26" with gravelly tyres), especially when the going gets steep or really rough/loaded up.

My biggest problem with this is that for any reasonable distance on road this can get a little wearing due to the MTB gearing

peted76 | 5 years ago
0 likes

Facebook groups, there are loads, the biggest one I subscribe to is called Yorkshire Cycling Sales, another good one for last season CX bikes is NDCXL Buy and Sell Cyclocross Stuff.

peted76 | 5 years ago
0 likes

Secnod hand cross bikes.. it's the right end of the season to pick up some stone cold CX bargains. You'll get a pair of raced bikes for the price of one new one. 

Zermattjohn replied to peted76 | 5 years ago
0 likes

peted76 wrote:

Secnod hand cross bikes.. it's the right end of the season to pick up some stone cold CX bargains. You'll get a pair of raced bikes for the price of one new one. 

Any tips for where such bikes are listed? I try to avoid eBay and the like - being in a big city a lot I don't trust eBay bikes aren't stolen.

Mattjg01 | 5 years ago
0 likes

Thanks, I will check out the tribans on Decathlon.

Any thoughts on solid used options?

EddyBerckx | 5 years ago
0 likes

Ps it doesn't have to be a gravel or adventure bike - disc brakes mean you can fit wide tyres to road frames now...and adventure bikes have a bit of a premium at the mo

EddyBerckx | 5 years ago
0 likes

If new then look at decathlon offerings - you won't find anything better at the prices they charge. Search this site for triban reviews etc, they are universally highly regarded.

Latest Comments