Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Stupid Names for Bikes

I have a Pinnacle Arkose. I looked it up and it is a type of sandstone with 25% silica in it. So can we look forward to the Cannondal Oolite sometime soon or the Specialized Lower Greensand?

This is getting dafter by the minute with tyres called 2bliss! I mean wtaf is going on? 

I can accept a bit of marketing, after all Ford had a Cortina which went well and an Edsel which didn't so there is something in a name.

Bonkers!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

13 comments

Simon E | 5 years ago
0 likes

My favourite - not stupid, but I love it:

https://twitter.com/nedboulting/status/918517437783474177

Me_ | 5 years ago
0 likes

I don't disagree with your general point, but 2Bliss tyres are called that because they are tubeless which isn't that daft

henryb | 5 years ago
0 likes

I quite like the silly Pearson bike names

DanaColby85 | 5 years ago
0 likes

Pinnacle's range has a lot of bikes named after minerals: Laterite, Dacite, Monzonite, Dolomite, Arkose. I asked a geology expert or two what the theme might be but they hadn't a clue. Rather looks like someone opened a geology book and picked out names of rocks at random.

Rahario | 5 years ago
0 likes

As a kid I had a Giant mtb, model name Boulder. Presumably named after the place in the USA, but I may as well have been wheeling a rock to school...

StraelGuy | 5 years ago
0 likes

And who can forget the infamous Chas Roberts D.O.G.S B.O.L.X back in the day .

simonmb | 5 years ago
0 likes

Cove with their 'G-Spot' do it for me.

HoarseMann | 5 years ago
3 likes

I used to ride a Peugeot ‘Black Mamba’ in the late eighties. Thankfully I was too young to know that is a common name applied to a more ‘adult’ object for riding.

Rick_Rude | 5 years ago
0 likes

Once you've had a Super Tuff Burner it's all downhill. 

IanGlasgow | 5 years ago
2 likes

Numbers are a shit idea.
I've got a BMC AC02 ONE, it's a completely different bike from the AC01 TWO. Obviously.

brooksby | 5 years ago
2 likes

Remember that old Simpsons episode about the Canyonero?

HarryTrauts replied to brooksby | 5 years ago
0 likes

brooksby wrote:

Remember that old Simpsons episode about the Canyonero?

And the Persephone.

Kendalred | 5 years ago
2 likes

I'd rather a bike have a daft name if it's memorable - rather than those that have the boring letters/numbers

But then again I've just bought a Planet X EC180 frameset, so I'm a complete hypocrite. I could always take a paintbrush to it and call it 'Stramash' or 'Shazoom' or something.

Besides, it doesn't really matter what the word means, especially if 95% of the population won't understand it.

Latest Comments