Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Free Zwift or alternative for use on rollers

Getting a little bored just watching films or listening to music whilst riding on my rollers

So thought about using something like Zwift to make things more interesting

Ive got a laptop but my rollers are basic so will need some way for the bike to commuinicate with the laptop, also have a garmin edge explore so i presume with a cadence sensor on the bike it will communicate with the garmin which in turn will commuincate with the laptop

Now im on a zero budget for this so im looking for a free program like Zwift or at least something with a free 30 day trial, so i can see if i actually enjoy it

Anything ive missed or any other ideas?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

Natrix | 5 years ago
0 likes

GCN have some free training videos, a bit like doing a spinning class.

MoutonDeMontagne | 5 years ago
0 likes

I find Sufferfest to be quite good, a nice level of interaction and live cycling footage, plus works perfectly without a smart trainer or any high-tech gubbins. I use it with a standard 'dumb' trainer and measure effort using HR and cadence, although theres no reason you can't do most of it on feel. Workouts are about the right lenght too. Its now mostly app based and they do a free trial. Not sure if you still get soime of the videos free with strava Premium - will check. 

Downsides, unlike a smart trainer, when it says max effort, its up to you to put out your max effort and not slack off...

PRSboy | 5 years ago
0 likes

I really like TrainerRoad.  They do a money-back trial, with a month refunded if you don't like it.  There is no fancy scenery or interactivity with other users, but it gives great results and the sessions are motivating.

You would need a cadence & speed sensor for the back wheel to make it work.  If you don't get a bluetooth cadence sensor you will need an ANT+ dongle for the laptop.

They will tell you if your rollers are supported, or at least which profile might be similar enough to yours so that the power zones work. 

https://www.trainerroad.com/equipment-checker

At the end of the day, all you need is something consistent to work from, rather than getting hung up on the absolute numbers.

SellMatt | 5 years ago
0 likes

for £14.99 using heart rate, intensity, power or cadence which you could get off your Garmin

https://www.successcycling.co.uk/product-archive/paris-roubaix-turbo-tra...

Argos74 | 5 years ago
0 likes
kev-s | 5 years ago
0 likes

Looks like im going to have to stick to films etc... then

Shame as i was hoping to make the rollers more interesting

JimD666 | 5 years ago
0 likes

Bkool won't help you much.

The free version is basically just staring at Google maps watching your dot move round.

kev-s | 5 years ago
0 likes

Cheers CXR94Di2 ill have a look and see if i can do it on the cheap, if not then ill go back to watching films etc....

Don Simon, ive been there done that, unfortuntaley a young baby, 2 full time working parents (sometimes 6 days a week) means my 100 mile a week commute (been doing in all weathers for the last 6 years) is no longer possible along with most weekend rides, gone from 200+ miles a week to whatever i can fit in on the rollers and the occasional road ride

don simon fbpe | 5 years ago
0 likes

Quote:

Anything ive missed or any other ideas?

waterproof

lights

gloves?

CXR94Di2 | 5 years ago
0 likes

Bkool are desperate for new members.

You will probably need speed, cadence and power to get the most of it.  Its free  

rollers arent the best way to use interactive online riding programs, a 'smart' trainer is the way to go. With zero budget dont expect much.

Latest Comments