Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Road cycle Tour du mont blanc training advice please

I am planning on taking on the tour du mont blanc in 2020. For the last 3 years I have been going to the Alps for a week in September and last year completed a self supported Marmotte. At the moment I don't feel confident finishing the tdmb within the cut off hence why 2020 is my proposed date, giving me extra time to train.  I am an experienced iron distance triathlete and I'm used to trying to ride at a consistent power (reduced VI). 

As part of my building, training plan I have entered next years Dragon Devil. I am fortunate to live in North Wales and have no shortage of hills on which to train. Our hills are generally steeper but also very short compared to to the Alps.

Riding for 186ish miles with 8000m of climbing is something I have never trained for and welcome any hints, tips, training plans etc .

Many thanks in advance,

Si

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

CXR94Di2 | 5 years ago
0 likes

Train for distance, Audax etc and gear bike to make hills easy to climb.  I dont do that type of distance, but i do have a bike with 26t crank and 40t cass so i can spin up anything without overly fatiguing myself . If yoy flatten the hills with gearing, pace the ride fuel plus hydrate. given your previous experience its just another progressive step.

Ive done the DD and attempted the Marmot ( stomach issues at the bottom of alp d huez). my legs were fine on both because of the gearing

Ianrobinson | 5 years ago
0 likes

Hi, I completed the tour du Mont Blanc this year at my first attempt. It’s a bit more climbing than stated, 330kms @ 10,000m elevation gain, when I uploaded to strava. I’d be happy to try and help you, it’s an amazing event and worth all the training and sacrifice when you cross the finish line. You can email me . Ianrobinson9730 [at] gmail.com.

i

Rod Marton | 5 years ago
0 likes

Try a few hilly randonnees next year. Details on Audax UK website, look for 300km+ and plenty of AAA points (1 point = 1000m climb). I don't think there's anything with the rate of climb you can expect on Mont Blanc, but some of them are really not very easy.

Latest Comments