Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

OVERALL SEASON LEAGUE

Only 36 points seperating the top three going into the last three stages - exciting!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

38 comments

tony kappler | 5 years ago
1 like

Thanks Tricky.  It is interesting seeing the same guys hovering at the top year after year; we mustn't have a life.

4th in purist was my best ever; I'll work on that next year. And congrats to Bob (Tingo) who held off a late challenge.

Considering my last 4 years (in premium) overall season league results were 1st (2015), 3rd (2016), 1st (2017) and 1st (2018), I thought I should write a book, "how to win at road.cc", or maybe I should just retire and give you other guys a chance.

I have enjoyed being part of the admin team. The extra attention you pay to the details of the race, translates to more informed choices and better transfer strategies. Thanks once again to Condor Andy (huge workload) and Dave.

Hope to see you in Adelaide in January. Stay safe.

Cheers

Tony Kappler

Sniffer replied to tony kappler | 5 years ago
0 likes

tony kappler wrote:

Thanks Tricky.  It is interesting seeing the same guys hovering at the top year after year; we mustn't have a life.

4th in purist was my best ever; I'll work on that next year. And congrats to Bob (Tingo) who held off a late challenge.

Considering my last 4 years (in premium) overall season league results were 1st (2015), 3rd (2016), 1st (2017) and 1st (2018), I thought I should write a book, "how to win at road.cc", or maybe I should just retire and give you other guys a chance.

I have enjoyed being part of the admin team. The extra attention you pay to the details of the race, translates to more informed choices and better transfer strategies. Thanks once again to Condor Andy (huge workload) and Dave.

Hope to see you in Adelaide in January. Stay safe.

Cheers

Tony Kappler

Well done Tony.  For the last couple of seasons I have checked your team after each stage as I know you are the benchmark.  You win because you get the tough calls right more often than others.

I have thoroughly enjoyed this year and will be back for the TDU.  Thanks to those that put the work in to make it possible for all.

triccky100 | 5 years ago
1 like

oh well, was not even close in the end, well played Tony!

MinardiM189 replied to triccky100 | 5 years ago
2 likes

triccky100 wrote:

oh well, was not even close in the end, well played Tony!

Luck just wasn't with you.

The crash yesterday stopped Venturini doing much better & Wouters finishing last was cruel.

triccky100 | 5 years ago
1 like

Well to keep it interesting I have gone a little bit left field with this:

FELIX GROSSCHARTNER (BOH) 

PASCAL ACKERMANN (BOH) 

FABIO JAKOBSEN (QST) 

DYLAN GROENEWEGEN (TLJ) 

GIANNI MOSCON (SKY) 

RICCARDO MINALI (AST) 

RAMON SINKELDAM (FDJ) 

CLEMENT VENTURINI (ALM) 

Demare is out so looks like SINKELDAM will sprint (hopefully!). Have kept GROSSCHARTNER instead of using that budget to put in someone like Walscheid, could be an inspired a choice or the final nail in the coffin!!

And yes wonderful season by Dr Winston, kudos. 

Dr Winston replied to triccky100 | 5 years ago
1 like

triccky100 wrote:

Well to keep it interesting I have gone a little bit left field with this:

PASCAL ACKERMANN (BOH) 

FABIO JAKOBSEN (QST) 

DYLAN GROENEWEGEN (TLJ) 

GIANNI MOSCON (SKY) 

RICCARDO MINALI (AST) 

RAMON SINKELDAM (FDJ) 

CLEMENT VENTURINI (ALM) 

Demare is out so looks like SINKELDAM will sprint (hopefully!). Have kept GROSSCHARTNER instead of using that budget to put in someone like Walscheid, could be an inspired a choice or the final nail in the coffin!!

And yes wonderful season by Dr Winston, kudos. 

Oh my days Tricky. Really good picks. Just looked at Tony's team and his transfers. No idea who wins but you have enough diffs to make it a fight. 

Condor Andy | 5 years ago
1 like

Great reading the banter in here! Awesome seeing a competitive season coming to a very competitive end. Here's to another great season next year. I binned it in a few comps so I need to improve consistency.

I agree Minardi, very impressive from Dr Winston!

enrique | 5 years ago
0 likes

You guys are so amazing!  1 Wow!  1 I'm impressed!  1 I wish there was a page where we could have each person's competition listed - like  it would say the Overall League 1st place and then show - for example - 3rd place Spring Classics - 4th place Giro DÍtalia - 1st place Tour de france - 2nd place Vuleta Espana - and so on - but showing the Top 5 or 10 competitors only. What consistency! How do you guys do it? sad  yes I see Minardi's about to win the Guanxi Tour!  1

MinardiM189 replied to enrique | 5 years ago
0 likes

enrique wrote:

You guys are so amazing!  1 Wow!  1 I'm impressed!  1 I wish there was a page where we could have each person's competition listed - like  it would say the Overall League 1st place and then show - for example - 3rd place Spring Classics - 4th place Giro DÍtalia - 1st place Tour de france - 2nd place Vuleta Espana - and so on - but showing the Top 5 or 10 competitors only. What consistency! How do you guys do it? sad  yes I see Minardi's about to win the Guanxi Tour!  1

Best performance this year has probably been Dr Winston's debut season. He won the Vuleta competition and has finished top 10 in both Standard and Purist competitions. An excellent performance.

Dr Winston replied to MinardiM189 | 5 years ago
1 like

MinardiM189 wrote:

enrique wrote:

Best performance this year has probably been Dr Winston's debut season. He won the Vuleta competition and has finished top 10 in both Standard and Purist competitions. An excellent performance.

Very kind of you Minardi. I won Catalunya as well btw but the Vuelta was a real peach for me in my first year. By far the hardest race to actually play, imo,  due to the never ending switches between summits, sprints and rolleurs...so i needed more than my fair share of luck with that one...and got it.

1 like

As I said, all down to luck. One should get a special prize for picking 1st and last in such circumstances. And I still have 2 transfers left.

MinardiM189 replied to tony kappler | 5 years ago
1 like

tony kappler wrote:

As I said, all down to luck. One should get a special prize for picking 1st and last in such circumstances. And I still have 2 transfers left.

I was surprised you went with Wouters as he got dropped on the same stage last year but didn't finish last.

Special prize will be could be winning the competition.

Not all luck. Keeping Vuillermoz & Uran in and leaving 2 transfers for the last stage is good judgement.

triccky100 | 5 years ago
1 like

yes did not work out well at all 

MinardiM189 replied to triccky100 | 5 years ago
1 like

triccky100 wrote:

All down to your last 2 transfers.

13 points difference (I think)

Both of you have - Ackermann, Jakobsen, Groenewegen & Moscon but then

Tony has - Uran (7pts), Trentin, Wouters & Vuillermoz (0pts) & 2 transfers (edited)

against - Grosschartner (13pts), Venturini, Van Rensburg, Chernetckii (8pts) & 2 transfers

the right picks and you should win it.

Congrats to Bob's Bicycle Shop who has now sewn up the PURIST competition with Trentin's win.

I have a slim chance of 2nd if Swift or Visconti finally do something in the last stage.

Dr Winston replied to MinardiM189 | 5 years ago
1 like

MinardiM189 wrote:

triccky100 wrote:

All down to your last 2 transfers.

13 points difference (I think)

Both of you have - Ackermann, Jakobsen, Groenewegen & Moscon but then

Tony has - Uran (7pts), Trentin, Wouters & Vuillermoz (0pts) & no transfers(?)

against - Grosschartner (13pts), Venturini, Van Rensburg, Chernetckii (8pts) & 2 transfers

the right picks and you should win it.

Congrats to Bob's Bicycle Shop who has now sewn up the PURIST competition with Trentin's win.

I have a slim chance of 2nd if Swift or Visconti finally do something in the last stage.

Can't write Mark off at this stage. He's in a great position to drop one of the big three sprinters as a last gasp call. and hope they bomb. Having something like Trentin/Walschield or even the failing Demare to add to his Stuyven has to be a risk worth taking. Great end to the season.

JohnnyRemo | 5 years ago
1 like

Another twist? Trentin wins Stage 5 from Ackerman and Stuyven...

MinardiM189 replied to JohnnyRemo | 5 years ago
1 like

JohnnyRemo wrote:

Another twist? Trentin wins Stage 5 from Ackerman and Stuyven...

So Mountain Renegade back into the lead by the look of things.

Wouters came in as last man too !!

1 like

Thought I was done and dusted, with Tricky ahead, plus 5 transfers to my 4, but we have picked totally differenty, which probably means it is going to come down to luck. I squeezed in Trentin and Wouters with zero balance left. Stage 5 last year (same as 2018 stg 5) had a 75 man peloton finishing at the same time. I think this year that Trentin and Stuyven and the GCs will be pushing it on the cat 2 and 1 climbs, and a smaller bunch will finish. Interesting to see which of the big 3 sprinters are in the final bunch.

On another note, it is good to see a bit of chatter on the forum. It has been missing the last couple of years.

Dr Winston | 5 years ago
2 likes

Well done Tricky...good pick...I was surprised to see Chernetski wasn’t even a popular pick. Maybe the dog incident at Pologne kept him off radar...but he went on to win in Norway after that bad luck as as well. Good stuff by you.

triccky100 replied to Dr Winston | 5 years ago
1 like

Dr Winston wrote:

Well done Tricky...good pick...I was surprised to see Chernetski wasn’t even a popular pick. Maybe the dog incident at Pologne kept him off radar...but he went on to win in Norway after that bad luck as as well. Good stuff by you.

Cheers Dr Winston. Well to put it out there this is my team for stage 5:

PASCAL ACKERMANN (BOH) 

FABIO JAKOBSEN (QST) 

DYLAN GROENEWEGEN (TLJ) 

GIANNI MOSCON (SKY) 

REINARDT JANSE VAN RENSBURG (DDC) 

SERGEI CHERNETCKII (AST) 

CLEMENT VENTURINI (ALM) 

Wanted Trentin or Stuyven but was not sure which cheaper rider would be best, so went with VENTURINI  and JANSE VAN RENSBURG as both (hopefully) could well end up top 10. Went somewhat conservative with GROSSCHARTNER for GC/youth points, but still 2 changes left for stage 6. Let’s see what happens!

Dr Winston replied to triccky100 | 5 years ago
1 like

triccky100 wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

Cheers Dr Winston. Well to put it out there this is my team for stage 5:

PASCAL ACKERMANN (BOH) 

FABIO JAKOBSEN (QST) 

DYLAN GROENEWEGEN (TLJ) 

GIANNI MOSCON (SKY) 

REINARDT JANSE VAN RENSBURG (DDC) 

SERGEI CHERNETCKII (AST) 

CLEMENT VENTURINI (ALM) 

Wanted Trentin or Stuyven but was not sure which cheaper rider would be best, so went with VENTURINI  and JANSE VAN RENSBURG as both (hopefully) could well end up top 10. Went somewhat conservative with GROSSCHARTNER for GC/youth points, but still 2 changes left for stage 6. Let’s see what happens!

I went for Stuyven with Wouters. Dunno much about the latter but Zweeler has had him marked down as the cheap pick since day one...and right once again...

triccky100 | 5 years ago
1 like

Chernetski is my new favourite rider!! Must admit I thought I had blown season league, built up a good lead during Tour of Turkey and then lost it all in a few stages.  But I guess that's what makes its exciting! 

However with only a 3 point lead and Tony's pedigree it will be tough to hold on.....

markwisdish | 5 years ago
1 like

Well done triccky - chernetski was an inspired pick.

Brambilla let his team down and, more importantly, he let me down.... I’m definitely out of the race

MinardiM189 replied to markwisdish | 5 years ago
1 like

Markwisdish wrote:

Well done triccky - chernetski was an inspired pick.

Brambilla let his team down and, more importantly, he let me down.... I’m definitely out of the race

If you get the right combination and a bit of luck you could still steal it.

An inspired pick who hits the break and wins all sprints and KoMs might just do it.

JohnnyRemo | 5 years ago
1 like

Stage 4: 1st: Moscon, 2nd: Felix Großchartner, 3rd: Sergei Chernetskiy, 4th: Carlos Verona

Lead changes hands -  Chernetcki gives a BIG swing to triccky - only 3 points in it!

MinardiM189 replied to JohnnyRemo | 5 years ago
1 like

JohnnyRemo wrote:

Stage 4: 1st: Moscon, 2nd: Felix Großchartner, 3rd: Sergei Chernetskiy, 4th: Carlos Verona

Lead changes hands -  Chernetcki gives a BIG swing to triccky - only 3 points in it!

Tomorrows stage could well decide it.

It could come down to the final cheap pick.

Pity the TV coverage is so poor, it could be a very interesting tomorrow. Sky have a lot of riders they need to mark and Astana will probably go crazy.

Quickstep will probably try to get Cavagna on the podium too.

1 like

Not convinced that Kennaugh will be much good, but he fitted in with stg 5 and 6 transfers, and he did show a bit of grunt in stg 1.  I fancied Carthy, but too expensive for stg 5.

Condor Andy | 5 years ago
1 like

Ha! Just reading these comments and I've gone for Schachmann, Sanchez, Uran, Vuillermoz for stage 4.

markwisdish | 5 years ago
1 like

I think that the standard comp will be decided on this stage. I suspect that Tony will take the win - he usually makes the right call... I’m hoping that I’ve got at least one different rider

Dr Winston replied to markwisdish | 5 years ago
1 like

Markwisdish wrote:

I think that the standard comp will be decided on this stage. I suspect that Tony will take the win - he usually makes the right call... I’m hoping that I’ve got at least one different rider

You have to have at least one diff Mark...and maybe for the next two as well...All fantasy games come down to diffs at the end if they're close.

Pages

Latest Comments