Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

KOM raid clothes adverts - full on cheese?

Maybe I'm just not a cool cat but would you been seen wearing clothes declaring you are on a KOM raid?

To me it's about the same as going on a night out with 'booty caller' or 'sex maniac on call' on a t-shirt.

The only way I can justify being on a KOM raid would be if I was bloody good. If I was blood good I wouldn't need clothes to tell people I'm on KOM raider. All a bit odd to me.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

peted76 | 5 years ago
1 like

Listen up dissenting forumites, all cyclists on the roads are risk their lives/bones for whatever reason they decide to be on the road on two wheels with little protection, as a homogeneous group, we're generally one split second silly decision away from being knocked off or falling down, I believe you should raise a hand of solidarity toward your fellow brother and sisters of the pedal*, we all share the same feelings and are on our bikes for the same broad reasons, raise a hand, smile if you can, and don't be aloof.

(excluding risding in miserable cities like London where you'd get hand ache from raising it so many times and would be thought weird for being cheery to others)

GeneralEquilibrium | 5 years ago
0 likes

Judging people for poor behaviour is not the same as judging someone for their clothes. If you're one of the guys that blanks me because I'm wearing a golf jacket then I'd think you're a douche, if you say good morning then I'll think you're alright. The guys that blank are invariably the all-the-gear guys. Old cyclists are always friendly.
In 30 years of playig golf I never once said hi to someone and them not respond, even when playing at some of the world's best courses.

don simon fbpe replied to GeneralEquilibrium | 5 years ago
0 likes

GeneralEquilibrium wrote:

Judging people for poor behaviour is not the same as judging someone for their clothes. If you're one of the guys that blanks me because I'm wearing a golf jacket then I'd think you're a douche, if you say good morning then I'll think you're alright. The guys that blank are invariably the all-the-gear guys. Old cyclists are always friendly.
In 30 years of playig golf I never once said hi to someone and them not respond, even when playing at some of the world's best courses.

The first bit is very true, calling someone a cunt because of what they are, i.e. exhibiting cuntish behaviour is not the same as an insult based on who you think they are, and therefore can't be considered a personal  insult.

As an aside I seldom ackowledge other cyclists unless they're doing somthing that deserves respect (a steep hill, -5 degrees,  pissing down with rain, etc.). Bimbling will just get a raised eyebrow from behind the shades. So I apologise if I haven't acknowledged you, I don't apologise if you haven't seen my acknowledgement.

srchar | 5 years ago
0 likes

I commute in mostly Castelli gear, but on 800 quid's worth of Kinesis and Campag aluminium. How would you judge me, General?

Because what you're doing is no different to the OP.

1 like

Alan, the op said "it's about the same as going on a night out with 'booty caller' or 'sex maniac on call' on a t-shirt."

This is patently false. It's a brand name. Their logo is small. The clothes look nice imo and don't cost the earth. The thread was started specifically to make a snobby comment about a new brand, and used condescending, working-class imagery to make the point.

Am I judging the plodders riding round in/on 10k of gear? Yeah, probably. It grates on me that I'm so rarely given the courtesy of a head nod becasue I'm wearing a Ping golf jacket, just because I don't have 5k to splash on an aero bike and some castelli uniform. 

alansmurphy | 5 years ago
0 likes

General, you may be the one being judgemental though, some of those Castelli's may have lasted them years and been a better £ per mile purchase...

0 likes

I think their designs are sweet. Just ordered some bibs in the sale for under £50, hoping the quality is upto the price tag. Not sure what the fuss is about the name, it's hardly plastered over the clothes. 
The image thing cyclists have is completely foreign to me. I go out hairy legs, mismatched clothes on my Planet X and smash past a dozen all-the-gear types in their Castelli/Specialized combos every weekend. Coming from golf I never would have guessed cycling would be more pretentious;it's quite dissapointing to see so many posts like those from the OP.

Rapha Nadal | 5 years ago
2 likes

How dare somebody make a tongue-in-cheek product in this oh-so-serious sport of ours!!  How VERY dare they!

peted76 | 5 years ago
1 like

In a not a second glance sort of a way, I'd read KOM Raid to be a play on Comrade..  doh. 

Personally it's a little crass for my tastes, but really who cares.. you shouldn't.

Leave the rules for the Velominati.

TheHungryGhost replied to peted76 | 5 years ago
0 likes

peted76 wrote:

I'd read KOM Raid to be a play on Comrade..  doh.  

You are not the only one!   On the website is KOMRAID - all one word and all caps, so I'm guessing its a bit of both.  Quite like the Integrale top although I dont really do 'Race Fit'

kil0ran | 5 years ago
0 likes

Like the designs, don't fit me, didn't make the connection with Kom, assumed it was some Russian reference given some of the dazzle camo designs.

FlyingPenguin | 5 years ago
0 likes

Kind of similar to wearing clothes declaring you to be the "Fat Lad At The Back".  Raises a little smile, prompts the odd cheeky remark, no one really cares.  If anything, KOM Raid clothes are for the most part more subtle than FLATB clothes.

Personally, I'm more of a FLATB than a KOM Raider, but working on it  1

Latest Comments