Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Pedestrian[s] "fed up" of cyclists on pavement and not the road -Salisbury Journal

https://www.salisburyjournal.co.uk/news/16862074.pedestrians-fed-up-of-c...

and dont forget to browse the comments posted so far - a big cut above the usual abysmal standard.  It’s actually one local resident who may have 10 sympathisers - it would interesting to see, and what thoroughfare exactly is it they’re intending to block?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

18 comments

antigee | 5 years ago
4 likes

KSI and death data for pavements do little to resolve the problem - just force the debate to be between pedestrians and cyclists  over factual detail when the real issue is space allocation. Many cyclists and potential cyclists are scared of using the road and many pedestrians, especially the elderly  are scared of cyclists - there is no measure for those that aren't cycling or walking to the local shops because the overall environment is both unappealing and appears dangerous, meanwhile vehicles continue to get the bulk of space and spending ...need more on road space  for cyclists / less on road parking / lower speed limits for vehicles and vehicles giving way to more vulnerable road users - arguing over who can/can't do what on the pavement is a dead end argument which only benefits the status quo of vehicle domination [breathes_out]

Zigster | 5 years ago
3 likes

https://www.cyclinguk.org/campaigning/views-and-briefings/pedestrians

Look about halfway down under Policy Key Facts

brooksby replied to Zigster | 5 years ago
2 likes

Zigster wrote:

https://www.cyclinguk.org/campaigning/views-and-briefings/pedestrians

Look about halfway down under Policy Key Facts

"In 2016, 43 pedestrians died in collisions involving a vehicle on the footway or verge.  None of them involved a cycle."

Thank you yes

brooksby | 5 years ago
1 like

I was under the impression more pedestrians on footways are KSI by motor vehicles on the footway than by cyclists...?

(Can't remember where I read it, but I'm sure someone on here has better google-fu than I and could find it...)

Kendalred | 5 years ago
2 likes

"Ms Stainer from Wilton Road is "fed up" with cyclists choosing to ride their bikes on the pavement instead of the road, and believes it is causing "death on the pavement"."

Well it either is causing 'death on the pavement' or it isn't - not really a matter of belief is it? Is this correct, good people of Salisbury? Is it complete carnage on your pavements?

Good to see that in the comments section there are good pro-cycling arguments that use facts and figures to counter the typical knee-jerk anecdotal bile that is so typical of 'the bottom of the internet' (copyright Dave Gorman).

hawkinspeter | 5 years ago
1 like

They should be glad they're not in Barking or Dagenham: https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2018/sep/20/new-data-reveals-most-dan...

Bentrider | 5 years ago
3 likes

//mediastudiesisshit.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/father_ted_down_with_this_sort_of_t.jpg)

OldRidgeback | 5 years ago
3 likes

I would've thought Salisbury's inhabitants have rather more to concern themselves over than people cycling on the pavements. Maybe all the cyclists are flocking to see the famous cathedral?

brooksby replied to OldRidgeback | 5 years ago
5 likes

OldRidgeback wrote:

I would've thought Salisbury's inhabitants have rather more to concern themselves over than people cycling on the pavements. Maybe all the cyclists are flocking to see the famous cathedral?

Well, it does have a 123 metre steeple, I hear...

kil0ran replied to brooksby | 5 years ago
1 like

brooksby wrote:

OldRidgeback wrote:

Well, it does have a 123 metre steeple, I hear...

It's a welcome sight on NCN45 because it means climbing is over for a while and it's a gentle pootle, mostly on shared use paths, to civilisation (i.e. the Old Mill at Harnham)

kil0ran | 5 years ago
5 likes

Salisbury cycle paths are pretty good by the standards when they were built but unfortunately most are shared use and narrow, NCN45 is a prime example. Usually busy with pedestrians because it provides a safe and scenic route from the city centre to the leisure centre, schools, and housing out towards Amesbury. Very narrow in places including a towpath under a brick arch where you'd have to be crouched over the bars like Cav to get through anywhere but right next to the fence alongside the stream. Once in town there are multiple sharp corners and crossings where you can't see traffic approaching, and then you've got Russian agents to avoid.

Pauline is mostly complaining about Wilton Road, whilst there's a cycle lane for part of that it's usually full of parked cars...

vonhelmet | 5 years ago
3 likes

“Around” 7? Like she started counting but then lost track?

BehindTheBikesheds | 5 years ago
2 likes

you'll have 7 instances of careless driving a minute in any town toward peds or cyclists. These people are fooking deluded if they think targetting cyclists will make them safer!

PRSboy | 5 years ago
3 likes

I like the fact that she is 'prepared' to start a petition, and has a whole 10 people who 'support the idea'. 

Hardly a call to arms is it.

Is it really news?  Who gives these people a voice?

Yorkshire wallet | 5 years ago
5 likes

NEVER MIND CYCLISTS - WATCH OUT FOR THE NOVICHOK!!!

Simon E | 5 years ago
1 like

It's simple: ask them why they won't ride on the roads.

And if you don't like the answer then try doing that for yourself. 

brooksby | 5 years ago
0 likes

Quote:

Pauline Stainer who is a resident of Salisbury has experienced around seven incidents involving bikes on the pavement and is willing to start a petition or demonstration to prevent this from continuing in the city.

Seven incidents? Over what time frame...?

David9694 replied to brooksby | 5 years ago
0 likes

brooksby wrote:

Quote:

Pauline Stainer who is a resident of Salisbury has experienced around seven incidents involving bikes on the pavement and is willing to start a petition or demonstration to prevent this from continuing in the city.

Seven incidents? Over what time frame...?

over the last little while. She may even have incident numbers for some of them.

Latest Comments