Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Recommendations for new shoes please.

I need to replace my cycling shoes which are Specialized BG and I have had for about 6 years.They are the one's with the 3 velcro straps, but I can't remember the model name.

I got these as they have a fairly wide fit and they were the best fit I could find for my large and wide feet, Size 12 UK.

They have been great in use but I would like something a bit more stylish.

I'm after recommendations for brands for replacements, preferably with a carbon sole and BOA dials and which come up wide. This proabaly rules out most Italian 'slippers'. I have between £150 to £200 to spend.

Thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

jova54 | 5 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for all the recommendations.

Looks like a weekend of visiting bike shops is in order. My wife is going to be so pleased and if she gets away with just a pair of shoes being bought she'll know she's got off lightly 

srchar | 5 years ago
0 likes

If you like the fit of Specialized shoes, how about a pair of S-Works 6?

I've had a pair of S-Works 5 for three years now - they are light, comfy and durable. I wear them in all weathers, rarely with shoe covers, and they still clean up as good as new (apart from the soles, obviously).

Strathbean | 5 years ago
0 likes

anything from Lake, very good shoes and excellent customer service. They will be at the top end of your budget though. Or as someone mentioned above, you wont go far wrong with wide fit shimano in my experience.

kil0ran replied to Strathbean | 5 years ago
0 likes

Strathbean wrote:

anything from Lake, very good shoes and excellent customer service. They will be at the top end of your budget though. Or as someone mentioned above, you wont go far wrong with wide fit shimano in my experience.

Wide fit Shimanos fit me well, as do the lower end normal width shoes as long as they have laces, speedlaces, or three straps. Unfortunately, as with other vendors they seem to think people with wide fit only like black.

You can check which shoes are available in wide fit here - good luck tracking them down to try them on though...

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/apparel-accessories/footwear/lineup.html

kil0ran | 5 years ago
0 likes

If you're wide go for a shoe with two Boas. A single Boa won't spread the lace pressure evenly enough, at least in my experience, and you might end up with hotspots or numb toes. Particularly since you're coming from three strap shoes. 

When I was looking recently I wanted to try some Bonts but couldn't find anyone local who stocked them.

Northwave have also been mentioned but I found that they weren't big enough volume-wise for the top of my foot - I had to go up three sizes(!) to even get my foot into them.

There's also Lake but they seem to think that if you're wide you can have any colour as long as it's black.

vonhelmet | 5 years ago
0 likes

Northwave do wider fits and they’re Italian if you want that! I have wide feet and they work fine for me

tigersnapper | 5 years ago
0 likes

Shimano do a wide fit.  The RP7 should be in your price range and fit's your criteria.  Mine are comfy.

ibr17xvii | 5 years ago
0 likes

I have some Bonts & I'd highly recommend them. Stiff sole but still comfy although the supplied insole is so thin you can feel the cleat screws through them so I have a Superfeet imsole which does the job.

Latest Comments