Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Vuelta

My reading of the Vuelta rules is that there is a daily award for the best young rider in the GC classification, but not a young rider classification as such. So there would be no YR classification points scored in road.cc.  Can anyone clarify?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

67 comments

Dr Winston | 5 years ago
0 likes

Fantastic GC battle today. Same tomorrow?....i thought a few looked like the rest day can't come soon enough already...

Any thoughts?

Condor Andy | 5 years ago
0 likes

4 transfers left after today....welp.

runaroundsioux | 5 years ago
0 likes

Hmmmm - Good luck from there Condor Andy.  I am struggling with 4 after todays transfers.

Dr Winston | 5 years ago
0 likes

Breakaway's can really screw you up in this game in more ways than just trying to pick them.

I went for Enric Mas in my Spaniards only team. I felt certain he would do well (shame about no white Jersey) by being one of the best GC riders and getting assists for Viviani's wins. Sadly he made up most of his times on breakaway days before this week so lies third and has been a real points dodger.

Pffft.

7 transfers left for the last three days for me...but...i have to confess i missed two deadlines that, by sheer luck, turned out to be breakaway days with minimal points all round...so i'm claiming no credit.

0 likes

Mas has picked up 5 points for each of the last two stages for the young persons award, before him it was Lopez. Shame it's just an award and not a full jersey, but hey-ho.

I have a feeling a breakaway might get tomorrow, but it might not be as big as ones we have been seeing. There are a few people who have gone empty handed despite being in nearly every mountain breakaway and they should do well tomorrow.  Anyone interested in the KOM jersey will wait until Saturday.

So tomorrow's breakaway might include Teuns, Zakarin, De La Cruz, Majka, maybe King and Saturday will be De Gendt, Mollema, Mate (if he has anything left), and anyone else who hasn't fought for a stage win. I still fancy the GC to take Saturday, so tomorrow might be the last chance for a breakaway.

Dr Winston | 5 years ago
0 likes

Not sure how it will pan out Andy. The best Valverde can hope for (if he wants to win it) is only about 5/10 seconds from open play, so to speak, in a race to the line atop either/both summits...he certainly won't ride into the sunset over Yates for sure. So a GC finish finish for both stages is surely his only hope. That narrow lead is a game changer on both stages....if it was a minute or more then it may be different. I'm going for GC finish for both stages driven by Movistar...or at least that should be their plan.

0 likes

Seems like you might be right. Movistar are really controlling this one today. Maybe my lack of transfers isn't a bad thing with all the major players (except Quintana) present. I've kept one for tomorrow to bring in Captain Obvious for the KOM points, and then I have two for the Madrid sprint.

Dr Winston | 5 years ago
2 likes

Well done Andy calling it right today by dropping Valverde and jumping on the Mollema/TDG double up.

I had that pair earmarked for big points for a while and then bottled it and only did TDG in. They actually had the potential to bring home a 300pts day today if Lopez hadn't chased them down.

Good call by you. 

enrique | 5 years ago
0 likes

Ivan Garcia Cortina appears in the game selection panel as I. Cortina.

It really should be I. Garcia - or I. Garcia Cortina. I prefer I. Garcia. His father's last name is  Garcia so that should be his last name. The way it's displayed in the game it's almost as if Garcia was his middle name....

Dr Winston | 5 years ago
2 likes

Yeah...I won the Vuelta game...yeah again...

Sniffer replied to runaroundsioux | 5 years ago
0 likes

runaroundsioux wrote:

Hmmmm - Good luck from there Condor Andy.  I am struggling with 4 after todays transfers.

I have a couple more, but you always regret the ones you make earlier in a race that didn't work out.  With the TT, SF, Flat, SF, SF, Flat stages in the last week it has required maybe a couple more transfers than some final weeks of a Grand Tour. 

The other we we are seeing is all those breakaway wins, it kind of encourages you to chase those, but that is a much tougher predicton than who might do the business as a GC contender.

Dr Winston replied to Dr Winston | 5 years ago
0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

Not sure how it will pan out Andy. The best Valverde can hope for (if he wants to win it) is only about 5/10 seconds from open play, so to speak, in a race to the line atop either/both summits...he certainly won't ride into the sunset over Yates for sure. So a GC finish finish for both stages is surely his only hope. That narrow lead is a game changer on both stages....if it was a minute or more then it may be different. I'm going for GC finish for both stages driven by Movistar...or at least that should be their plan.

Should have added...They need to bring bonus seconds into play...

triccky100 replied to Dr Winston | 5 years ago
1 like

Dr Winston wrote:

nice work Dr W

Dr Winston replied to triccky100 | 5 years ago
1 like

triccky100 wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

nice work Dr W

It was a strange end to it Tricky. The only peron that could reallistically beat me was you after stage 19. We had the same number of transfers but i was 70 pts ahead. I thought the only chance you had was to go for TDG and Mollema together on all those mountains on stage 20 anf hope they syaed away...hence i effectively wasted a transfer by doing Kruiswijk > TDG. I felt sure you'd have gone for both of them. 

archieboy | 5 years ago
0 likes

Well Google maps were right, only difference was the new tarmac up that lane.

archieboy | 5 years ago
0 likes

Well if the finish is at the lighthouse it's real, unless Google maps have it wrong.

There's a lot of lumps today for the sprinter types to get over ,not sure how this is classed a flat stage but we will see in a few hours time.

Sniffer replied to archieboy | 5 years ago
0 likes

archieboy wrote:

Well if the finish is at the lighthouse it's real, unless Google maps have it wrong.

There's a lot of lumps today for the sprinter types to get over ,not sure how this is classed a flat stage but we will see in a few hours time.

Big break, sprinter teams with representatives in it.  Who is going to chase?

archieboy | 5 years ago
0 likes

That's some  finish for Stg 12, no wider than a farm track, going to be fun.

Dr Winston replied to archieboy | 5 years ago
0 likes

archieboy wrote:

That's some  finish for Stg 12, no wider than a farm track, going to be fun.

i've seen the video Archie....not sure what to make of it.  Strong sprinter odds for torrow but I have no idea how they arrive at that if that video is for real...is it?

1 like

'Tis a most perplexing guessing game. Tomorrow looks like great fun. A hell of a lot of climbing means they'll be lot's of action. I'm going for a big break, 15+, De Gendt, Fraile, Conti, Teuns maybe. Bit of a lottery so I may save my transfers, but I just know some lucky person is going to nail it.  I fancy Thursday to come down to a sprint again, or at least a reduced bunch.

Dr Winston replied to Condor Andy | 5 years ago
2 likes

Condor Andy wrote:

'Tis a most perplexing guessing game. Tomorrow looks like great fun. A hell of a lot of climbing means they'll be lot's of action. I'm going for a big break, 15+, De Gendt, Fraile, Conti, Teuns maybe. Bit of a lottery so I may save my transfers, but I just know some lucky person is going to nail it.  I fancy Thursday to come down to a sprint again, or at least a reduced bunch.

may indeed be a stage to just sit on our hands. Some big 200pt stages coming up and turn around for Summit/sprints/TT to think about. 

I also think one of, or maybe both of  Yates and Valverde have the potential to blow up...I'm not convinced by either for three summits in a row. What do you think Andy?

Condor Andy replied to Dr Winston | 5 years ago
1 like

Dr Winston wrote:

I also think one of, or maybe both of  Yates and Valverde have the potential to blow up...I'm not convinced by either for three summits in a row. What do you think Andy?

Valverde has said he's had his fun, Quintana is the Movistar leader, but I still fancy Valverde to feature. Yates is pacing himself, won't mind losing the jersey and let's see what he does at the wekeend and next week. Lopez looks really good.

Dr Winston replied to Condor Andy | 5 years ago
0 likes

Condor Andy wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

Valverde has said he's had his fun, Quintana is the Movistar leader, but I still fancy Valverde to feature. Yates is pacing himself, won't mind losing the jersey and let's see what he does at the wekeend and next week. Lopez looks really good.

kelderman also looking really good. Going under the radar a bit but he can punch a really big hole in his deficit at the TT.  Uran also looks well in control of the situation. 

Dr Winston | 5 years ago
2 likes

Mmmm....Back to back "traps" coming up. Let the guessing games begin (11/12)...Nibali, Kuss, Mollema, Gorka, Porte, Fraille...blah blah blah....it's a long list. Any thoughts?

Mark 60 | 5 years ago
1 like

Thanks to all those who have made suggestions regarding the sites to read and the discussions on transfers and stages. I’ll have a look at them.

I like the Vuelta Fantasy a lot, less predictable then the other grand tours.  The lumpy stages keeps the thought processes working overtime, rarely can you set and forget. Even the flat stages aren’t!

I’ve been guilty of chasing the breakaways this tour and I’ve overspent on the transfers so I think the last two weeks might be a bit lean. I look at those above me and shake my head at how they get there with so few transfers.

I have been trying to pay more attention to those non core points this time, the climber and sprinter bonuses for instance and this certainly makes a difference when you get it right. 

The game certainly is a learning  process.

Dr Winston | 5 years ago
1 like

Kwia with decent odds for tomorrow. Surely it's too steep for him isn't it?

Dr Winston replied to Dr Winston | 5 years ago
1 like

Dr Winston wrote:

Crikey. He made me sweat on that but pop went Kwia. Hopefully most kept him.

Mark 60 replied to Dr Winston | 5 years ago
1 like

Dr Winston]</p>

<p>[quote=Dr Winston wrote:

[/quote

Yep, that is where transfer debt hits. I couldn’t afford to swap him out, even though it was steep for him. Decided to wait for the sprint stage and shed him then. Costly. 

Dr Winston replied to Mark 60 | 5 years ago
1 like

Mark 60]</p>

<p>[quote=Dr Winston wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

[/quote

Yep, that is where transfer debt hits. I couldn’t afford to swap him out, even though it was steep for him. Decided to wait for the sprint stage and shed him then. Costly. 

it's where this game is so good. Good idea for me yesterday but now everybody else has him for three days of what could be good pts whilst I've jumped ship. 

Dr Winston | 5 years ago
0 likes

Just seen that Archie...thanks. Stil got my sprinters and I'm gonna sit on my hands again. Too hard to pick a puncheurs outside of Kwia Valverde and Sagan (Fraille?).  Once again so much "sprinter" advice on line that I can't think too many will sell them again...so plenty of teams will all be on the wrong horses. 

Further into this race transfers will become precious with plenty of turn arounds between sprinters and Summit finishes. 

Pages

Latest Comments