Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

replacing Shimano 105 10 speed freehub body with Ultegra

I am new to this forum and I am looking for some advice.

I have a Shimano 105 10 speed group set and my freehub is making a noise. I am wondering if I can easily upgrade the body only. I am considering going to a Ultegra 6700 body that is for 10 speed cassette. Is this a direct swap or are there any spacers needed. Also, if compared the designs what are the advantages of the Ultegra over 105. Again, I am not touching anything else but merely swapping the freehub bodies.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

kevvjj | 5 years ago
3 likes

Assuming your current hub is a FH-5700 then it is a direct swap. As far as freehub bodies go I would doubt that there are any real/noticeable differences between 5700 and 6700, there might be a slight weight difference (less than 10g at most). In fact, it would not surprise me if the freehub bodies were identical - the differences showing up in hub design, materials and therefore overall weight. Personally I would buy whichever is the cheaper. 

Just to be sure, I would contact SJS Cycles they will have a definitive answer.

stenmeister replied to kevvjj | 5 years ago
1 like

kevvjj wrote:

Assuming your current hub is a FH-5700 then it is a direct swap. As far as freehub bodies go I would doubt that there are any real/noticeable differences between 5700 and 6700, there might be a slight weight difference (less than 10g at most). In fact, it would not surprise me if the freehub bodies were identical - the differences showing up in hub design, materials and therefore overall weight. Personally I would buy whichever is the cheaper. 

Just to be sure, I would contact SJS Cycles they will have a definitive answer.

I agree. Ask yourself what benefit you seriously envisage with this upgrade. 

Latest Comments