Home

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me whether or not I need to buy the separate wireless unit so that I can display Di2 information on my Garmin and connect to the E-TUBE app on my phone? 

My groupset is the Shimano Ultegra 8070 Di2 and my bike is a 2019 Specialized Tarmac SL6 pro disc.

 

I thought it came as standard until I tried to connect it up. Or, am I just doing something wrong?

 

Thank you in advance!

 

Gary

13 comments

Avatar
Dr Ofsereb [8 posts] 1 month ago
0 likes

I had to buy the separate unit to connect to a garmin 1030. Can't remember the price offhand, somewhere around £100?

It now displays gear information including ratios, battery level and a graphic of which rings the chain is running on. It  also gives an audible signal when I reach the outer limit of the cassette on either end. It also gives a whole lot of functionality in connecting to the app which I haven't had time to fully explore yet. Mine is a Trek Domane SLR6, 2018.

Avatar
dreamlx10 [284 posts] 1 month ago
0 likes

This is what you need:

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Shimano/E-tube-Di2-Wireless-Unit-2-Port...

You'll also need an additional cable which is about £15

 

Avatar
Dr Ofsereb [8 posts] 1 month ago
0 likes

Thanks for clarifying. Maybe my recollection of £100 was all parts fitted by the dealer.

Avatar
88jacksong [1 post] 1 month ago
0 likes

Thank you for the help guys! 

My operating switch is in my bar end, do you know if this can be taken out and the wireless unit put behind it? Just to keep the installation as clean as possible.

Avatar
fluffed [114 posts] 1 month ago
0 likes

I can't see a problem installing it in the handlebar, it weighs stuff all, and should still be able to pick up a bluetooth signal. Just a word of warning, when you install this thing it will ask to update the firmware *DO NOT DO THIS OVER WIRELESS*, it will absolutely 100% crash during the process, and mess your entire sytem up in any number of ways. Only update the firmware via the PC if you want to be safe.

Avatar
CXR94Di2 [2202 posts] 1 month ago
0 likes

I've upgraded my XT Di2 over wireless countless times and has worked fine. stay close and don't have other Bluetooth devices on nearby

Avatar
hawkinspeter [2381 posts] 1 month ago
1 like

That Bluetooth module should work fine, but I went for the MT800/MT801 display instead (which I think is what Dr Ofsereb was referring to) as it shows what gear you are in, handles Bluetooth and replaces the 3-way junction box.

It's more designed as a mountain bike part, but it works perfectly with road Di2 and just fits on your handlebar.

Here's a link http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-xt-di2-mt800-system-display/

I initially used the cheaper inline Bluetooth module, but I found there was a bit too much delay between changing gear and it showing on my Elemnt Bolt, so I ended up going for the MT800 which displays the change immediately (and also the battery level).

 

Avatar
hawkinspeter [2381 posts] 1 month ago
0 likes
88jacksong wrote:

Thank you for the help guys! 

My operating switch is in my bar end, do you know if this can be taken out and the wireless unit put behind it? Just to keep the installation as clean as possible.

That should work fine, though the smallest Di2 wire is AFAIK 15cm, so you'll have a bit of spare cable inside your handlebar. When I used the inline connector, I put it into the seat tube below the battery.

Avatar
Dr Ofsereb [8 posts] 1 month ago
0 likes
hawkinspeter wrote:

That Bluetooth module should work fine, but I went for the MT800/MT801 display instead (which I think is what Dr Ofsereb was referring to) as it shows what gear you are in, handles Bluetooth and replaces the 3-way junction box.

It's more designed as a mountain bike part, but it works perfectly with road Di2 and just fits on your handlebar.

Here's a link http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-xt-di2-mt800-system-display/

I initially used the cheaper inline Bluetooth module, but I found there was a bit too much delay between changing gear and it showing on my Elemnt Bolt, so I ended up going for the MT800 which displays the change immediately (and also the battery level).

 

I've not seen this one - sorry if it's my lack of  clarity, I was meaning that I get the gear info showing up in numbers and graphics on my Garmin. Also battery level. Keeps it all on the one screen. 

Avatar
CXR94Di2 [2202 posts] 1 month ago
0 likes

I have the Mt800, convenience of display, Bluetooth features and charging port

Avatar
kungdog [10 posts] 1 month ago
0 likes

I only realised after 4 months that my ultegra Di2 levers had buttons on top of the hoods!

Ordered the same wireless transmitter as above last week for showing info on Garmin and scrolling through the pages with the buttons.

Avatar
hawkinspeter [2381 posts] 1 month ago
0 likes
kungdog wrote:

I only realised after 4 months that my ultegra Di2 levers had buttons on top of the hoods!

Ordered the same wireless transmitter as above last week for showing info on Garmin and scrolling through the pages with the buttons.

Okay, I'm now going to search my Ultegra Di2 levers for this button.

I've heard about this before, but though that I've got an earlier Ultegra Di2 without a secret button.

Edit: after a bit of googling, I think my brifters are ST-R785 which doesn't have the button.

Avatar
kungdog [10 posts] 1 month ago
0 likes

I think it's only 8000 series for Ultegra