Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

'Warm' cycling shoes?

I had to replace my broken cycling shoes this year, and bought a pair which basically have a mesh upper.  They are great in the warmer months, but they are way too vented to use in the Winter, even with overshoes.

I've seen that there are winter road boots but they're pretty expensive.  The only other option seems to be the Northwave Flash TH shoes, but they have mixed reviews.  So not a lot of choice!  But has anyone had/have shoes that they think are pretty warm/not well vented?  I know it seems like a weird question, as I think I'm asking whether you were disappointed!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

Welsh boy | 4 years ago
0 likes

I suffer in the cold and eventually bought the Northwave shoes. I have used them for 2 winters and can say they were worth every penny, I put thin overshoes over them when it is cold and wet because whatever the manufacturer says they are not waterproof, other than that they are excellent. 

Marven.J | 4 years ago
0 likes

MTB shoes in winter is good ,sometimes i just take my dream pairs hiking boots ,lol

hawkinspeter | 5 years ago
0 likes

Good choice. You can't beat the convenience of some nice winter shoes.

Personally, I'd recommend getting the version with the extended ankles (boot style) as they'll be warmer for when the real cold weather strikes.

bobbydazzler | 5 years ago
0 likes

Thanks all. I've decided to order the NW Flash shoes to at least try on and see what the soles are like (supposed to be a bit flexy). Those Mavics sound perfect though, never saw them but I'm size 9.5, if I come across them for a similar price the NW's might be going back!

Luv2ride | 5 years ago
0 likes

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Mavic/Cosmic-Elite-Vision-CM-Road-Shoes...

Mavic Cosmic Elite Vision CM road shoes are good.  Sealed against water ingress and highly reflective outer as well...I like mine. £81 at sigma sport of you're a size 8....

I also have the Northwave TH Raptor (mtb) shoes, but find those a little too roomy compared to the Mavics. Prefer the shoes over the boot style, after having had both...

Al__S | 5 years ago
1 like

I'd second the "use winter boots" option- great investment, and remeber that they'll last for years as you're only using them for part of the year...

Chez_worldwide | 5 years ago
0 likes

I spent years debating buying boots, all while wrapping my feet in foil, wearing through overshoes and trying vearious other methods.

My current boots (North Wave) have lasted 2 winters and are still going strong. Best cycling related purchase ever. Seriously, just invest in proper winter boots.

2 likes

I usually try to avoid it when it's really wet, so I've just had the same experience as Sniffer - rain runs down your legs and into the boots unless you arrange your tights/trousers to go over the boots. Can't say I've noticed whether the water drains out or not as thick socks will absorb most of the water.

bobbydazzler | 5 years ago
0 likes

Thanks guys.  I'm wedded to road cleats, so a 3-bolt shoe would be what I would go for.  Have you had any issues with water getting into the boots?  Does it drain out?

Sniffer replied to bobbydazzler | 5 years ago
0 likes

bobbydazzler wrote:

Thanks guys.  I'm wedded to road cleats, so a 3-bolt shoe would be what I would go for.  Have you had any issues with water getting into the boots?  Does it drain out?

I wrote this  in January 2017 on another thread (the boots are still going and will soon be out the cupboard).

https://road.cc/content/forum/215304-winter-boots-northwave-fahrenheit-a...

I have the Northwave Fahrenheit 2 GTX , but ordinary version not the Arctic version.

I have ridden in them for around 6 Scottish winters and they are still in good condition, wore them this morning for the commute.

I have found them warm enough for anything I would cycle in, including rides around freezing.  Even with decent gloves I usually find my fingers are the problem before my toes.  They are way better and simpler than overshoes.

I bought a pair with sufficient room for a decent thick pair of socks, too tight and you restrict the blood flow and end up colder, so consider sizing.

They are excellent for road spray etc, but they have the same problems all boots and shoes have - water runs down your legs into the boots and you will get wet feet if it is a wet day.

These versions are available at the moment in a couple of places at £100 if you can find your size.  I would say good value at that.

1 like

I've got an old pair of Northwave Arctic winter boots (SPD version) and although they're expensive, they've lasted for years and work really well. It's worth buying slightly larger than you would otherwise to allow for chunky socks as tight shoes can restrict blood flow and leave you with cold feet.

fenix | 5 years ago
0 likes

I use some cheaper MTB shoes in winter.  Theres less mesh to begin with,and normally they have a cheap PX overshoe over the too. 

Latest Comments