Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Smart Turbo Trainer

Hi all,

I am looking to invest in a smart Turbo trainer. I live in a first floor flat so it needs to be quiet for my neighbours below. What are the best options? I have researched lots of them but would prefer info from people who have actually used the products.

Thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

CXR94Di2 | 5 years ago
0 likes

The two quietest Turbos are the V4 Kickr 2018, and Tacx Neo. To further aid noise suppression, use a dense foam beneath a piece of 12mm ply, same on front wheel

Dantfletcher | 5 years ago
0 likes

Budget is as cheap as possible however I know you have to pay a lot for a quiet smart trainer
. I have looked at lots online but you don't really know what they are like until you get it and try it for yourself. Thanks for the help guys

fukawitribe replied to Dantfletcher | 5 years ago
0 likes

Dantfletcher wrote:

Budget is as cheap as possible however I know you have to pay a lot for a quiet smart trainer . I have looked at lots online but you don't really know what they are like until you get it and try it for yourself. Thanks for the help guys

You probably have already, but just in case these two might help with some more info (Ray Makers blog is the go-to place for trainer reviews for many, and Shane Miller has a no-nonsense approach to breaking things...)

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-reviews/trainers

https://www.youtube.com/user/gplama

fukawitribe | 5 years ago
0 likes

The early Fluxes had a couple of issues that resulted in quite a few returns, one problem was an externally sourced part they ended up bringing in-house, they seemed to sort those reasonably quickly though (there was still a chunk of old stock in circulation). Feedback I've seen is that later models were solid. The new Flux 2 looks like a monster for low speed stuff too.

ibr17xvii | 5 years ago
0 likes

Maybe I was just really unlucky but I had 2 Fluxs break on me in quick succession. It was pretty quiet though (when it worked).

As above it depends on your budget - Kickr Core, Kickr or Tacx Neo are probably the best in terms of noise.

I have the V3 Kickr which has the "whine" but I don't find it loud or off putting at all. If your drivetrain is quiet that's all youn should really hear.

fukawitribe | 5 years ago
0 likes

What sort of budget do you have ? The latest range of smart trainers has some incredibly quiet models but they're still not at the cheaper end of the spectrum (although increasingly well priced). The Kickr Core is the obvious one there, although that has meant that existing quiet(ish) models are going down in price (the Elite Direto is now regularly around £ 600 for instance).

Dantfletcher | 5 years ago
0 likes

That's what I have been looking at, just don't want there to be too much vibration and cause the family below my flat any hassle!

Martyn_K | 5 years ago
0 likes

Direct drive is the way to go. With no drum/ wheel humming they are much quieter and tend to create less vibration too.

I can only refer to the Tacx Flux which i have in terms of absolute noise. I can use mine in the corner of our lounge/ dining room and the wife can still watch TV the other side of the room (slight increase in TV volume).

Latest Comments