Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Allez Sport vs Domane AL 3

Hello everybody

This is yet another "help me choose" kind of post.

I'm getting my first road bike and after much research into options and a few visits to retailers I'm currently between a Specialized Allez Sport and a Treck Domane AL3.

So far my evaluation is that the Allez seems to have the better frame but the Treck has better components.

I even made tables listing their characteristics based on what their webpages say. I'm including  those at the end.

Some of my confounding factors are: 

The Allez has a lot of great reviews but I can find only a couple for the Domane. I don't know if it is due to popularity, marketing budget or another factor.

2018 Allez is supposed to be adequate for mudgards but the replaced fork does not have eyelets and I'm doubtful about clearance

I have no local cycling contacts so cannot ask about what the post-sale experience is like with local distributors.

In total my questions would be:

Would you agree that the Allez has a better frame but the Domane is better equipped? If not, what am I missing?

Which one would you get for a completely beginner roadie who will have only this bike throughout the year and will ikely have no budget for swapping parts except when they absolutely need replacing?

Could you share your after-sales experiences with either company's products or services?

Thank you in advance for your time.

//lh3.googleusercontent.com/2w5HM-oepsRzuxwgHWCAj_qwPve8k76xgoQc2PvX9uyqW4IOOwN3mubOvCWYeYCMWTHZcL5OEm7p5j0c5H1uHuTD7fMZ-HDNy1bqCXLGuzSeNGMZy7T6Pa3jKLYiM8osooqd5q5y0qZ609lUxHVgwU5zTubBpzaiEGiI2y39kdC1bT9zJoPKnQyTQwdy9ZiQxo8VeOBSihJNmCnur7-jHj_10Fl1u1IDz5mpsC4sVAGs4f5hnY7XcvOmA-qN_KT1I50b_yrWwvtY3vOKd2khTDFDhepyX2TPewcEcFLNXr1bEFPIvKuyHvOe8RKmOTYa7AFU6FNirYJy5FCnOuU2jTFEaI-2E9-G73vmHICanuNePhuoLrJgLLiYuAN--4dtzzLNkt4GmRAVjUxEcsOX8xbl46xbRO7VQP6cdoFBFXVwOxg4Rm5WZ9Myrf9C5D0sq61_qeUHzE2-jpmJbNrh3Dqs295yZ7rbPXdgspfRDhpQvc7h4Q6oWuALqoRwgwVmnmPtoAZ1RzhO8uQCdzZtLkeStzmNGUnn8gRTQL6KiF7h_N3Kh3_2Ry5Momgdt9oO) //lh3.googleusercontent.com/DFcoTSt5dD9P8A8KGXIxFqmvNjLwrPNqK2Br56KYhNCy_H5tWRmcY0emP7GiI7k6K51yCs1OFhZ6Pky4B_9kfMmiRjsLfMROOv4HwJjjcm0_IAQuz6hYqkZC1bSYelfEBP7XWDbs_Zc2t0waztyYQ9Z2vs8Ki55oyUg9fZsblMBnqio_rimREBicfAWfWIWK6kh7uBr2V75t43tsEyRsGE3mdffyFg3L_P8OTpLD86NF3upMifRSYaHQyTdKarbteoaG9oI6X1w4-Rh5IrUxIuuPRkVgazbccnQspMxUrJhWy_2TkOnaYLQsrJeNn8KID38ujS5jsHKDN_piTaTdnCTnQcEWSspimV1H4GMpMzUqbMzkFkovMKSLS2V7eMMbAU07JSwtz4YuNk5E8G7gGlwTXavjqJj368_TxafL1DF56aHJt9I6ooscIce05NHiAxxQnSEerBxhoBjo7oYdbBvGcfO3__8Xfyg6CWVuIZ9UqZGsrB7Dv1pvf2fCtZDuBiiBwqyEcwSBC6DfGc4XMxllLRKKaEB-eXm01DfEhDgA9_K1yD_NxggrTV_K6Bay)

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

cyclisto | 5 years ago
1 like

I would prefer Trek as it has a slightly less agressive geometry, wider tires and the famous decoupler, so you get that I am a lazy rider. The 32 cassette on Spesh though is attractive too, but not a deal breaker. In any case yes you have to upgrade brakes.

Buy the one you like most to see, they are very similar

Joe Totale replied to cyclisto | 5 years ago
0 likes

cyclisto wrote:

I would prefer Trek as it has a slightly less agressive geometry, wider tires and the famous decoupler, so you get that I am a lazy rider. The 32 cassette on Spesh though is attractive too, but not a deal breaker. In any case yes you have to upgrade brakes. Buy the one you like most to see, they are very similar

It's the AL not the ALR so there's no decoupler.

I'd get the Allez, it weighs nearly a kilo less which will make a difference and the reviews are very positive about the quality of the frame. A full carbon fork is very rare at that price as well.  

AfterPeak | 5 years ago
1 like

I had the 2014 Allez. Put 12,000 through it and the frame was still good but everything else is upgradable (true of the trek too I think). The front and read derailleur is the same so nothing in it for component really. I would say that swapping out the brakes for 105 will save your life.

fukawitribe | 5 years ago
1 like

Not masses in it, for me the Trek has the nod on the frame and the rest of the spec though, decent wheelset too. I have the ISOspeed (rear) version of the frame (old Domane 2.0), very nicely put together - the fork is pretty good too, rides well. That's where my money would go anyway.

stucky | 5 years ago
0 likes

I'd go for the Allez unless you plan to run tubeless. The rest is all the same

Latest Comments