Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Bont sizing

On the back of some good reviews, decided to treat myself to a pair of Bont Riot+ - the rather natty colours being somewhat contrasting to the stealth black of my bike.  Used their online sizing calculator, which came up as a 47.  Bought a 48 as 47 seemed too small compared to my usual shoe (13.5) and the 48 is still way too small (toes banging up against the end).  Has anyone else found this with Bont shoes?  My feet were measured twice to get it spot on.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

14 comments

sergius | 5 years ago
0 likes

If the pedals have done a few thousand KM, I've found they get stiffer.  I was getting really annoyed on my Rose after about 10k KM, loosened the tension and it was fine again.

ibr17xvii replied to sergius | 5 years ago
0 likes

sergius wrote:

If the pedals have done a few thousand KM, I've found they get stiffer.  I was getting really annoyed on my Rose after about 10k KM, loosened the tension and it was fine again.

Not really considered that although my old shoes clipped in fine. 

I've read that sometimes the Bont's don't play nicely with the SPD SL cleats due to the shape of the sole & therefore the cleat doesn't sit properly which affects the engagement but looking at them they seem fine. 

Guess I'll just have to persevere. 

ibr17xvii | 5 years ago
0 likes

On a side note does anyone with Bont Riot+ shoes find it incredibly hard to clip in with SPD SL cleats?

Fair enough my other cleats were completely worn doen & I've put some new ones on my new shoes but I'm finding it really really hard to get clipped in. It takes some amount of force. Unclipping is fine.

Maybe it's just the combination of new shoes / cleats & I'm just getting used to them both but it's hard work at the minute.

ibr17xvii | 5 years ago
0 likes

I ordered 43 & 44 and ended up settling on the 44's. I'm probably somewhere in between as my normal shoe size is 43 but I wanted more room at the toe end.

They are probably slightly too big but I'd rather have them that way.

Just a note to say the standard insoles are paper thin, you can literally the feel cleats when you're pedalling. I have a Superfeet insole which makes a world a difference so I'd factor that in.

barongreenback replied to ibr17xvii | 5 years ago
0 likes

ibr17xvii wrote:

I ordered 43 & 44 and ended up settling on the 44's. I'm probably somewhere in between as my normal shoe size is 43 but I wanted more room at the toe end.

Just a note to say the standard insoles are paper thin, you can literally the feel cleats when you're pedalling. I have a Superfeet insole which makes a world a difference so I'd factor that in.

I use orthotics but you’re right - the sock liner is paper thin. 

Size 50 for me in the end. I’ve baked in the oven but can’t hinestly say they are that pliable when warm. Will try a ride out tomorrow. Arch support seems a little on the solid side but otherwise very comfortable straight out of the box. I use speedplay and the 6 size adapters fitted the sole perfectly. 

ibr17xvii replied to barongreenback | 5 years ago
0 likes

barongreenback wrote:

ibr17xvii wrote:

I use orthotics but you’re right - the sock liner is paper thin. 

Size 50 for me in the end. I’ve baked in the oven but can’t hinestly say they are that pliable when warm. Will try a ride out tomorrow. Arch support seems a little on the solid side but otherwise very comfortable straight out of the box. I use speedplay and the 6 size adapters fitted the sole perfectly. 

I've not bothered baking mine. With a Superfeet insole they are pretty comfy & I'm bothered if I bake them it will affect the wiggle room which is why I got them in the 1st place. 

Johnnyvee | 5 years ago
0 likes

Must be the time of year. I have 48s and 49s on their way.

If they don't fit it's sidi again...

barongreenback | 5 years ago
0 likes

Thanks all. I now have a size 50 and 49 on the way!  

DaSy | 5 years ago
0 likes

Turned out to be neither kill nor cure, disapointingly.

They survived the increase of heat to 90 degrees C, but didn't manage to get rid of the really irritating edges to the sole, so as with The_Kaner above, mine will look pretty in the cupboard alongside a pair of Adidas Adistar (they had an annoying wrap-over tongue that rubbed the front of my foot) and some Fizik R3s that I just never quite got on with (I think they are too thick and look a bit clompy), oh and some beautiful Maressi leather shoes that are just a little too snug and make my feet go to sleep!

My missus reckons I'm like the Princess and the Pea about cycling shoes.

Sidi Genius and Diadora Pro Racers have been the best, with the later being the best shoes I've ever owned. I'm now working on a new pair of Shimano RP9s, they fit well, but they are a bit high in the ankle cut-out and I have had a little rubbing there (the Diadoras are really low cut here), so they may end up in the shoe graveyard, with the Diadoras pressed back into action for another season!

The _Kaner | 5 years ago
0 likes

I've a pair of Bont from over 5 years ago. (cervelo)

Never been worn on a bike as I wasn't happy with the buckle adjustment - too finicky and seemed to not latch properly.

Nice roomy toe box, but also just a smidge on the short side with toes constantly touching - so didn't do the heat molding treatment.

Nice to look at, languishing in a box - unused.

At least I know Shimano give me no problems.

DaSy | 5 years ago
0 likes

I have a pair of Bont Blitz shoes that were spot-on as far as the size chart goes, it's just that the heat moulding really hasn't helped with the amount of sharp edges on the last that irritate the side of my toes and foot.

They have sat in my cupboard for quite a few months, but are now once again back in the oven, a bit hotter this time - kill or cure!

notwelshyet | 5 years ago
0 likes

I’ve just bought a pair of vaypour plus and their calculator said 44 so I ordered a 44 and a 44.5, kept the 44.5. Wonderfully comfortable shoe...

therevokid | 5 years ago
0 likes

their calculator said 44 for me (my normal size too ...) but when tried was

way too short for me - went up 2 sizes to get the length but that made them

way too big in every other respect. Gave up and went to Shimano !!

peted76 | 5 years ago
0 likes

I've found Bonts to be slightly shorter, but wider in the toe box than other shoes.

Another example of buying shoes online.. gah I hate that I can't walk into somewhere and try on the make and model I want to try on.

Someone really needs to design a shoe fitting service like a bit fit and get it in shops quick (Retul have one but I 'think' it's just in specialized shops for now).

Latest Comments