Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Travelling With Your GPS Unit

Just got a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt & will be using it abroad to this summer & rather than just throw it in the suitcase was looking for some kind of carry case but doesn't seem to be anything available. 

What does everyone use to transport their GPS?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

DaSy | 5 years ago
0 likes

I always stuffed it into my cycling shoes wrapped in a sock. As said above, shoes and a days worth of cycling kit in hand luggage JIC.

Martyn_K | 5 years ago
0 likes

Got a rigid case for my sunnies so i pop the garmin in there along with the sensors and mounts. Sounds like you are new to going away and cycling. I would advise having one day cycling kit in your hand luggage too just incase your hold luggage does not arrive. Obviouslty hand luggage for your shoes and pedals too.

Security at airports are well versed with cycling specific kit in hand luggage in 5 years of travelling i have never had an enquiry from security.

fenix | 5 years ago
0 likes

I had a Prendas knitted cover - meant to be for my old phone but I use it to cover the go pro when I'm traveling. It's all it needs.

ibr17xvii | 5 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the replies. 

The plan was to put it in the hand luggage but was just surprised there wasn't something more specific to carry it in. 

I'll have to keep my eye out for something non specific that will do the job. 

Redvee | 5 years ago
0 likes

When I forst got my Edge 705 I took it along to the local camerashop and tried out their display of camera cases till I found a suitably sized case. The Edge 705 is no longer but the case now houses my Sony digital camera when going on holiday.

TheHungryGhost | 5 years ago
0 likes

I bought a cheap pack of Go-Pro compatible mounts off Amazon, and it came with a small semi rigid case for the camera, it should easily fit a GPS, as well as some other small items and some padding.

amazon22 | 5 years ago
3 likes

Put it in a sock?

The _Kaner replied to amazon22 | 5 years ago
0 likes

amazon22 wrote:

Put it in a sock?

OO-er!

SingleSpeed | 5 years ago
0 likes

Agree with all of the above, I use a rigid bike box for doing races on the continent I stick all of my gels, co2 clothes etc in the the box to save on another bag and all the Macbooks and Iphones and Garmins come on with me in my hand luggage...

Garmins are realtively cheap tech so I wouldn't worry about buying them a specific case. However, poundland do sell a universal tablet screen protector, I traced around my Garmin, cut a few out and just stuck it on, even the winteriest gritty wet hands scratched the screen and ruined it...so just replace the plastic screen and repeat, the screen is literally as good as new everytime you take the plastic off!!

sergius | 5 years ago
1 like

Everything breakable (helmet etc) goes in the middle of my suitcase surrounded by clothes.

Everything electronic and expensive goes in my hand luggage (laptops, phones, GPS, HRM etc)

Cheers,

ricardito replied to sergius | 5 years ago
1 like

sergius wrote:

Everything electronic and expensive goes in my hand luggage (laptops, phones, GPS, HRM etc)

Likewise.

Just to note also that airport security people can ask you to power up your devices, so be sure they have enough charge to deal with that.

Latest Comments