Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

12-28 Casette for Shiano Ultegra 6800

Hello!

Do you think it is possible to mix a 12-25 and 11-28 casette to get a 12-28?

I would have a great use of the 39T28 gear on hills but I would also miss the 53T16 cogs whixh I use a lot so I was thinkig about to mix the two set to get 12-28 like they sell in DuraAce (12-13-14-15-16-17-19-21-23-25-28).

Any idea? 

Thx

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

StraelGuy | 6 years ago
0 likes

Dunno to be honest. They've been going for decades and the cogs have shifting rings like Shimano ones do so they're probably pretty decent.

JimD666 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Slightly derailing things but what is the Miche stuff like?
The Cycle Clinic (and presumably other places) do a custom Miche cassette that I'm seriously considering.
Cheers

StraelGuy | 6 years ago
0 likes

Have you looked at Miche cassettes? They do a 12-29 which includes the 16 tooth ring that everyone loves. I've always bought 11-28 but will try a Miche when this one bites the dust.

velochris | 6 years ago
0 likes

Miche do a 12-28 11 speed Shimano cassette. Will be more cost effective. I used them for a few years without any problems. Maybe not 100% as smooth shifting but only tiny margins.

fukawitribe replied to velochris | 6 years ago
1 like

velochris wrote:

Miche do a 12-28 11 speed Shimano cassette. Will be more cost effective. I used them for a few years without any problems. Maybe not 100% as smooth shifting but only tiny margins.

Even with Shimano some of the sprockets come in different timings (phases) depending on the cassette, so you may be unfortunate enough to have a wee glitch even then. That said, might be fine and the Shimano docs have all of this detail in them if you want to check (e.g. which sprocket has which timing and what the serial number is for each).

ChrisB200SX replied to fukawitribe | 6 years ago
0 likes

fukawitribe wrote:

velochris wrote:

Even with Shimano some of the sprockets come in different timings (phases) depending on the cassette, so you may be unfortunate enough to have a wee glitch even then. That said, might be fine and the Shimano docs have all of this detail in them if you want to check (e.g. which sprocket has which timing and what the serial number is for each).

Yeah, most sprocket part numbers differ between those cassettes, I've got both in 5800 flavour but I still need to take pics of one of the sets of sprockets so I can directly compare. At worst I'd expect the franken-cassette to be a bit hesitant changing between certain sprockets.

Dnnnnnn | 6 years ago
0 likes

Perfectly possible.

If you're really keen/mean you can make up all sorts of weird'n'wonderful combinations of speeds and spacing (e.g. 8/9/10 speed, Campag spacings with Shimano parts (inc. freehub)). You'd have to be a bit weird but then some people here are.

www.sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-spacing.html

CXR94Di2 | 6 years ago
1 like

Yes it perfectly possible, Ive combined cs6800 cassettes to create a 14-32 cass, just buy the two cassettes with the necessary teeth you require

Canyon48 | 6 years ago
1 like

Certainly possible.

Shimano even tell you what individual sprockets you need http://si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-CS0004-04-ENG.pdf

Latest Comments