Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Buying previous gen groupsets

Simple question

When Shimano et al announce a new groupset, how come I can't buy the previous gen at a reduced price - or if I can, where from?

I know the new R7000 105 was only announced yesterday, so it is not a surpriseI can't buy 5800 series really cheap yet, however when the R8000 Ultegra was announced it was as if the previous gen never existed. All the old stock can't be binned surely, but the main retailers seemed to remove it from sale immediately?

Cheers

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

kil0ran | 6 years ago
1 like

Usually good deals to be had on last gen groups bundled with bikes from the likes of Ribble & Planet X. If you catch the right deal its not beyond the realms of sensibleness to buy a bike, strip the group off the frame and then sell the frame on.

Interesting to see that the list pricess for R7000 are slightly cheaper than 105, which begs the question what's going to happen to Tiagra pricing, as they'll be almost identical. In many ways Tiagra is just 10-speed 105 anyway so there shouldn't be too big a gap but there needs to be for it to be seen as an upgrade. There's a much bigger jump from 105 to Ultegra.

Canyon48 | 6 years ago
0 likes

The silly thing is, when I bought R8000, it was only about 10% more than the 6800 stuff.

That said, you can get some pretty good deals if you're quick.

Jack Osbourne snr | 6 years ago
0 likes

The big retailers tend to break up their stock of previous generation groupsets and sell them off as individual items.

Thats one the reasons why you often get seemingly huge discounts on Shimano parts.

Canyon48 | 6 years ago
0 likes

I'm pretty sure Shimano distribute batches of groupsets to distributors, like Madison.

Madison then distribute that on consignment to shops. There aren't massive stock piles of the stuff about.

The reason it all then disappears is because the shops and retailers then send back the old groupsets to the distributor. The distributor the puts up the old groupsets up at clearance prices on B2B, which the shops then buy and sell.

At least that's what happens at the shop my other half works at.

BehindTheBikesheds | 6 years ago
0 likes

Off-cast bikes that have barely being used are the best deals IMHO.

I saw a 100 mile old 2016 Scott Addict HMX with Dura Ace 9070 Di2 + Dura Ace C24 hoops, Syncros carbon finishing kit, pro logo carbon railed saddle from a bricks and mortar shop. £3195

Brand spanking new KTM Revelator prestige (The better 2015/800g ish frame which won extremely high praise from testers), DA 9070 Di2, Mavic Cosmic Carbons, Ritchey carbon finishing kit/

Was €7349/£6418, now £3320 incl delivery. If I didn't already have the previous incarnation with DA 9000 mechanical I'd have snapped that up. It's a ridiculous bargain

new right side ultegra di2 sti is less than £90 ATM at various shops (perfect  for a 1x)

the lower down the range though the less savings you'll get as new stuff comes out, it's certainly not given away and this is usually due to the silly high RRP to start with so stock finds its level reasonably quickly. 

StraelGuy | 6 years ago
0 likes

I think 7000'll be in the shops around June so keep an eye out for discounted 5800 around August or September probably.

Latest Comments