Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New GPS devices from Ordinance Survey including what looks like a cycle computer

I just got this notification from OS - I get their newsletter because I buy maps online - that they're releasing an OS-branded series of GPS devices:

https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/shop/osgps.html

Anyone heard anything of this? Looks like the 1:50,000 mapping comes with them.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

amazon22 | 6 years ago
0 likes

As I said, Satmap are nothing to do with the OS, they just happen to use their maps. I don't doubt that the "OS-branded series of GPS devices" are a rebadged third party device.

carytb | 6 years ago
1 like

"Introducing the new handheld GPS range from Ordnance Survey.
Easy-to-use, rugged and packed with features for walking and off-road cycling." 

One handed off road cycling - great idea.

BehindTheBikesheds | 6 years ago
1 like

If it's anything like their SatMap range it'll be massively overpriced.

amazon22 replied to BehindTheBikesheds | 6 years ago
0 likes

BehindTheBikesheds wrote:

SatMap are nothing to do with the OS - other than they use their maps. I think they were one of the first to do this, and I had one, but it was a dog with fleas and crashed endlessly. Sent it back. The form factor hasn't really changed in years and it's more suited to walking. Viewranger also use the OS maps on iPhone or Android and have now teamed with Land Rover to put out a GPS with OS maps, so more choice.

BehindTheBikesheds replied to amazon22 | 6 years ago
0 likes

amazon22 wrote:

BehindTheBikesheds wrote:

SatMap are nothing to do with the OS - other than they use their maps. I think they were one of the first to do this, and I had one, but it was a dog with fleas and crashed endlessly. Sent it back. The form factor hasn't really changed in years and it's more suited to walking. Viewranger also use the OS maps on iPhone or Android and have now teamed with Land Rover to put out a GPS with OS maps, so more choice.

If they are the main (possibly only) seller and it has their maps it's everything to do with OS. You think these latest gadgets are made by OS, c'mon, it's another third party company that they are sticking their maps on and promoting.

My comment is very relevant given the previous product they backed/were in conjunction with.

I have a Magellen from well over 10 years ago and I could use OS maps on it, it's still very useable for both bike and in hand, it isn't as good as the latest kit but it's sturdy/totally waterproof and runs for 14 hours off 4xAA batts

Latest Comments