Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

How many teeth - 34?

My Cannondale Synapse has a 34t cassette and it is time for a replacement but most retailers only stock 32t  Will I notice a big difference losing 2 teeth??

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

13 comments

DoctorFish | 6 years ago
1 like

This is one of those questions that no one can answer for you.  My Canyon came with 32 teeth, I never used the largest cog so I changed it to one with a maximum of 28 that also closed up a gap between two of the others, much happier with it.  My other bike has a max of 32 and there is no way I would go smaller as I take it mildly offroad and have been known to use that gear.

Do you ever use 34?  If yes then you will probably miss it, if no then you will never miss it and might get a better selection of gears in the range you do use.

Leviathan | 6 years ago
2 likes

I've only got 31.5 teeth. One of my crowns broke off. My dentist is going to be livid; I've not been in a couple (more like five) of years.

Boatsie | 6 years ago
0 likes

Thanks kind CXR, be even better if a pensioner. Free train ride with bicycle on weekends. 50km train ride south to top of 7km steep run. Then wind and wave (and flat) all the way home.

Might be able to shorten chain a link pair from 34-32 tooth.

CXR94Di2 | 6 years ago
1 like

explanation perfect  1

CXR94Di2 | 6 years ago
3 likes

I get 23 large but don't care if I have to walk up 7% grades.

That's just silly, gear the bike or change the bike for the type of terrain you're doing. I have 3 road bikes one has 44/28 chainset, another 53/39 and one 56t chainring. Each has a particular job to do. The first can do 99% of my riding and is my favourite. The others are for particular events, where speed is more important.

Boatsie replied to CXR94Di2 | 6 years ago
0 likes
CXR94Di2 wrote:

I get 23 large but don't care if I have to walk up 7% grades.

That's just silly, gear the bike or change the bike for the type of terrain you're doing. I have 3 road bikes one has 44/28 chainset, another 53/39 and one 56t chainring. Each has a particular job to do. The first can do 99% of my riding and is my favourite. The others are for particular events, where speed is more important.

Ain't that silly. Topography here has a pretty much flat 50*10km rectangle that contains the city centre. On 1 long side is a mountain range, other long side a beach.
Ain't hilly like the U. K. and there ain't a pushing bicycle tax yet neither.
Fun ride is 5km flat, 3 km very slight climb, 2 km at 7%, 25 km continual descent. Looped circuit. If 7% too hard add about 1 km and snake it up.
Using bikes as a simple transport, not racing. Liking still winds travelling south in the morning and wind up my ass headed north in the arvo. Gears suit here.
Hence if you ain't struggling with hills, you might feel warmer. Lol.

Boatsie | 6 years ago
0 likes

How often were you climbing in bog cog?
Not much difference between 32 and 34 but how heavy was the hair that broke the camels back?
If small cog the same then your steps are reduced along the pyramid which might find better chances of dances on preferred cadence during headwinds, acceleration, dodging snakes, rabbits and foxes along the creek path.
If struggling with hills then yes, you might find 32 teeth horrible. If not worried about hills and need of such low then no. I get 23 large but don't care if I have to walk up 7% grades.

maviczap | 6 years ago
0 likes

I got a SRAM cassette with a 36 tooth from Tweets, I'd rather go up in teeth than down, but it does depend if you use the 34 a lot.

CXR94Di2 | 6 years ago
1 like

I have a wheelset with a 40t cass.  I use it for alpine and mountain climbs.  I dont normally use the top two gears and could probably get away with and 11-32.  But boy its nice knowing if I begin to struggle or just want to pootle, I have those gears to take it easy.  

madcarew | 6 years ago
1 like

Down at that end, yes, you will notice a difference. If you find yourself regularly grinding in 34 I suggest you go to the effort to replace it.

bechdan | 6 years ago
0 likes

Will I notice a big difference losing 2 teeth.... depends which ones they are, possibly not if theyre wisdom teeth.....

I doubt youll notice any significant difference no theres not much in it . what  cassette / speed is it?

fukawitribe | 6 years ago
1 like

11-speed ? The usual suspects have the HG800 in stock in the UK, e.g. 50 quid more or less at PBK

https://www.probikekit.co.uk/bicycle-cassettes-sprockets/shimano-cs-hg80...

CXR94Di2 | 6 years ago
2 likes

Depends how strong you're, the type of hills you climb. It's about 6% mechanical advantage with a 34 instead 32

Latest Comments