Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

left/ right leg imbalance

My funky new vector 3's suggest that my left thigh is a thin string with a knot in it, while my right is a Hoy style ham.

Or, at least, that, especially when riding at moderate intensity or less, I am getting a 46-47/ 53-54% imbalance between left and right.  It evens out a bit at higher wattage.

Is this a "normal" ratio?  Is it worth trying to correct?  If so, how?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

rjfrussell | 6 years ago
0 likes

"interesting" answer!

fukawitribe replied to rjfrussell | 6 years ago
0 likes

rjfrussell wrote:

"interesting" answer!

My favourite reply for a looong while...  1

Craigus Farticus replied to fukawitribe | 6 years ago
0 likes

fukawitribe wrote:

rjfrussell wrote:

"interesting" answer!

My favourite reply for a looong while...  1

NPMSL

rjfrussell | 6 years ago
0 likes

madcarew | 6 years ago
0 likes

6% difference is probably outside the norm, but not by far. There's no harm in working to even it up, just do the same things with both legs. As Boatsie suggests, skippin is good. It' dynamic balance which works all aspects of core and posterior chain etc. Cyclists' weaknesses are generally from poor core and posterior chain (lower back, ham strings, ITB) so exercises that concentrate on these will tend to even things out. Making sure both shoes are in the same position (fore and aft) will also have a difference on how much power you transfer.

Boatsie | 6 years ago
1 like

Arse burgers.
Gotta chunky hard knot right buttocks years.
Butt evened things out.
Broken left ankle twice.
Broken left leg twice.
Broken back playing throws with a gf; dead bitch now. Loved her.
Goat track your voyage bro. Less energy; more efficient .
Enjoyment the key.
I found skip rope fun. A few minutes here and there. If balance of concern; close your eyes.
Best luck bro
Turbos read like fun. Shut your eyes?
Looking at using a wreck to peddle an alternator soon; house battery to power lights/fridge. Removes a bill plus no eyes is during a safe peddle.

ConcordeCX replied to Boatsie | 6 years ago
2 likes

Boatsie wrote:

Arse burgers. Gotta chunky hard knot right buttocks years. Butt evened things out. Broken left ankle twice. Broken left leg twice. Broken back playing throws with a gf; dead bitch now. Loved her. Goat track your voyage bro. Less energy; more efficient . Enjoyment the key. I found skip rope fun. A few minutes here and there. If balance of concern; close your eyes. Best luck bro Turbos read like fun. Shut your eyes? Looking at using a wreck to peddle an alternator soon; house battery to power lights/fridge. Removes a bill plus no eyes is during a safe peddle.

Neal Cassady would have loved you.

rjfrussell | 6 years ago
0 likes

tomstrak | 6 years ago
1 like

Bear in mind that PM’s have are accurate to generally within 2% so factor that in. You should expect a small imbalance, usually based on which leg you use to clip in. In my expereince best way to strengthen the legs individually is single leg intervals- get on a turbo and unclip one leg, do an interval of your choice and go back to the other leg; then repeat. Doing the same intervals with both should even them out somewhat over time.

Latest Comments